Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

little green magic wand

ebay

Bluelighter
My friends daughter had to be taken to hospital in an ambulance for a back injury the other day. For her pain they gave her this green tube with cotton in the middle that they poured something like methfluroxene (cant remember the proper name) into. A couple of big tokes and she was flying with ice cream through space, whatever that is it sound good but what is it?

pethadine is noice. they gave it to me when i had the worst migraine i've eva had(i use imigran now), worked like a treat, and made me feel fuzzy all ova!!!

Its not pethedine or anything opiate related.I've actuallyt had these a few times when i've broken bones.The first time was very enjoyable so i did a bit of research on it.The name escapes me at the moment but i'll have a look and post again with the name.

It's not an opiate, you breath the vapors and it only lasts 5 min

I forget about this thread,It's not nitrous but the first time i had the wand,it felt very similar.And it stoppeed my broken wrist hurting:)The next two times i used it the pain didn't even stop:(I(t feels so weird using it,you really feel like you puffing on a big,green,plastic spliff!
Anyway i'll get on to the name.

Yeah, methoxyflurane. From what I remember it's related most closely to some of the newer anaesthetic agents like sevoflurane- these have a high MAC (ie in small concentrations in the lungs can cause unconsciousness). Like nitrous etc the effect tends to be self-limiting because if you inhale too much you get sleepy and can't coordinate further inhalation. I don't think it has the associated euphoria of nitrous. It's been used with good effect even in little kids.

Penthrox Inhaler

This little green magic wand is a penthrox inhaler.

They contain between 3ml and 6ml of concentrated methoxyflurane primed on to a wick.

approved by ambulance services a as a powerful pain reliever, as a fruity smelling vapour.
concentration of vapour when inhaled is about .2% to .4% with the diluter hole uncovered and .5% to .7% with the diluter hole covered.
Pain relief commences after 8-10 breaths and continues for several minutes after use.

n.b methoxyflurane is a poisons schedule section 4 drug.=D

I don't know if this currently applies to Australia:

From Pharmacology (2001) by Rang, Dale & Ritter; 4th Ed; Published by Churchill Livingstone, London:

METABOLISM AND TOXICITY OF INHALATION ANAESTHETICS

It was originally thought that anaesthetics were too unreactive to be metabolised in the body, but in fact the metabolism of halogenated anaesthetics can be considerable, and the resulting metabolites contribute appreciably to certain toxic effects. Chloroform (now obsolete) produces hepatotoxicity associated with free radical formation in liver cells. Methoxyflurane, a halogenated ether, is now rarely used, because about 50% is metabolised, generating fluoride and oxalate, which cause renal toxicity. Euflurane also generates fluoride, but at muchlower (non-toxic) levels. Halothane is the only volatile anaesthetic in current use which undergoes substantial metabolism, about 30% being converted into bromide trifluoroacetic acid and other metabolites which may be responsible for the rare occurance of liver toxicity.....

INDIVIDUAL INHALATION ANAESTHETICS

The inhalation anaesthetics currently used in developed western countries are: Halothane, Nitrous oxide, Enflurane and Isoflurane. Ether, used for many years but now obsolete, is still used in some parts of the world...... Methoxyflurane is rarely used because of it's renal toxicity. Desflurane and Sevoflurane have been introduced recently

There's lots more on this including some interesting tables. I can scan them if needed.

(Colour added for emphasis; p_d)

They only use this now if you rate your pain higher than 7 i believe. Its only used on site for injuries, it's basically an inhalant that causes minimal brain damage and organ toxicity. It's not exactly good for you. I'm not sure if ambos still have nitrous oxide in their vans or just oxygen. And Shootables are not morphine based I believe, only benzos.. Stops the junkies from hijacking ambulances :) But thats just what I was told by a paramedic who was at the site of an injury a year ago.

Splatt said:
They only use this now if you rate your pain higher than 7 i believe. Its only used on site for injuries, it's basically an inhalant that causes minimal brain damage and organ toxicity. It's not exactly good for you. I'm not sure if ambos still have nitrous oxide in their vans or just oxygen. And Shootables are not morphine based I believe, only benzos.. Stops the junkies from hijacking ambulances :) But thats just what I was told by a paramedic who was at the site of an injury a year ago.

Junkies hijacking ambulances?!

I'm gonna make a movie out of that someday...