• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

cooking with marijuana

PassMeTheVicks

Bluelighter
Is this bullshit?

I have this pothead friend. But when I told him about THC activated margarine he was clueless. He says all he does is crumble the weed and integrate it into the brwoni mix. He says the heat alone makes the leaves drain out the chemicals into the brownies. this does sound like a more convenient way of making the brownies. Can it be done like this?

[note: thread title edited to specify subject. -@E]

Last edited by a moderator:
er

the weed is mixed in to the brownie mix before it even gets cooked; you're eating the pot, the chemicals never leave the plant. you eat the pot in the brownies. its a simple concept really.

but then i know nothing and care not about marijuana in any way, so i could be wrong and in fact probably am wrong.

it was my understanding that you have to heat the pot quite a bit to activate the cannabanoids. and it is hea theres a bit more about this in a marijuana consumption faq at the lycaeum

like tathra, i'm not all that in the know about pot, but i think it would be true that the heat alone makes the leaves drain out the chemicals into the brownies. but to make a butter to add to the brownie mix rather than just throwing the bud in saves you from having to chew on leaves and stems and such, and also helps masks the taste of the pot. this is all theroy though, i have no personal experience. there are tons of books at amazon.com that deal exclusivly in marijuana cooking and recipies that might be helpful

from erowid's cannabis faq : It is a myth that dried marijuana must be heated before being consumed to activate the cannabanoids. Many people find that raw cannabis leaves and buds can be eaten for strong effects without any pre-heating.

i personally never tried it tho... id much prefer to bite into a nice, warm, gooey brownie with no crunchy leaves in. so i make the butter concoction.

www.lycaeum.org/drugs/Cannabis/consume.html

Marijuana must be heated before being consumed to activate the cannabanoids so one cannot simply eat raw grass

so erowid and lycaeum have conflicting opinions. does anyone have any sources that are more scientific and have a definitive answer to weather pot needs to be heated before being consumed? now i'm curious

^^^ Why doncha experiement and let us know how it goes....?

um i'm curious. how would heat "activate" these chemicals?

this was probably just thought up by some dumbass stoners who thought, "well, we have to burn it and smoke it to get high, so we probly have to heat it somehow in order to get off by eatin it too! yeah! huhuhuh"

i'm sorry, but the chemicals are in the plant, all fire does is vapourize them so that you can get off on 'em by inhalation. you could eat your weed raw and get off on it just as good as you would by cooking up marijuana tea or pot brownies (it'd just be really nasty going down).

anybody care to prove me wrong with some hard evidence? myths and rumours wont work because they are just that: myths and rumours. show me scientific fact!

When I cook my infamously devilish weed cookies, I just dump leaves in the food processor and integrate the resulting powder in the cookie mix. Not too complicated.... and trust me, it works....%)

I have found this before and IMO Erowid is wrong here. I think it may even be a typo. I may be completely wrong.

I am stoned.

I personally get alot better results (high) when I make the cannabutter then add this to the mix. However the effects are still present if you were to just chuck in the shredded weed.

Taste however is a totally different matter, not cooking the butter first results in dirty tasting cookies, brownies whatever and I do not recommend this method at all.

So I think the heating/cooking is essential to release the oils from the weed to allow it to attach to the fat solids of the butter.

QUICK CANNABUTTER

1. Shred weed to a fine mix (Personally for 350g of butter I use 1 Oz bud generally mid-grade)

2. Melt butter in large saucepan then add weed. Simmer for a couple of hours on very low heat stirring occasionally. (time can vary I have no definitive time for cooking but a couple of hours works well)

3. Strain mix through old stocking squeezing out ALL oil. Place in bowl and allow to set.

4. Should have a lovely GREEN Cannabutter.

um i'm curious. how would heat "activate" these chemicals?

this was probably just thought up by some dumbass stoners who thought, "well, we have to burn it and smoke it to get high, so we probly have to heat it somehow in order to get off by eatin it too! yeah! huhuhuh"

i'm sorry, but the chemicals are in the plant, all fire does is vapourize them so that you can get off on 'em by inhalation. you could eat your weed raw and get off on it just as good as you would by cooking up marijuana tea or pot brownies (it'd just be really nasty going down).

anybody care to prove me wrong with some hard evidence? myths and rumours wont work because they are just that: myths and rumours. show me scientific fact!

this is what i would think aswell, but the idea that heat activated or releases chemicals is written on some reliable sites, like lycaeum, which i have found to be an informative place for info. i may be wrong, but i certainly dont think its run by dumbass stoners.

and although you ask for scientific fact, is any of what you said supported by scientific fact? what do you have to support your claims that heat doesn't increase potency in pot brownies?

well, we have to burn it and smoke it to get high, so we probly have to heat it somehow in order to get off by eatin it too! yeah! huhuhuh"

Tell that to a crackhead who tries to snort crack...

THC has to be heated with fat molecules ie butter to be released from its plant prison.. simply placing the weed in without cooking it with butter is worthless unless its an extremely large amount where he might get high because there is thc receptors in the intestines.. but its a waste of some good pot.. cook with butter please lol

peace,

:)

The THC is oils, which are in the crystals, which are on the buds/leaves right? So maybe heating just extracts the oils from them?

So perhaps it dosent NEED heat, but rather- should be- unless you have alot of weed.

THC is fat and alcohol soluble. The heating process is to extract the THC into the fat which makes it easier to digest, and enter the bloodstream. While the body can probably digest "raw" cannabis it will not be as effective as an extraction.

neon_utopia said:
THC has to be heated with fat molecules ie butter to be released from its plant prison....

Actually Neon that is a total fallacy. Heat alone will activate the THC. Butter's just used with other ingredients to make it more palatable.

Erowid say:

Many people find that raw cannabis leaves and buds can be eaten for strong effects without any pre-heating

I normally put my faith in most things Erowid say but i have to go with my personal experience on this one. I've found that eating raw leaves/buds does absolutely nothingfor me or anyone else i know who's tried it....you have to heat it first.

Maybe you can get an effect eating it raw if you eat huge quantities of it, but i've never been willing to waste that much dope in order to find out.

Anyone else tried large amounts of raw??

Maybe someone from Aus DD can give their experience this one. Big Trancer perhaps?

I should add that just putting your powdered hash or bud into a brownie mix should work perfectly well. Providing the mix has a high fat content, the THC will still be extracted during the cooking process into the fat cells.

"Cannabutter" is just a good way to add cannabis to any recipe that calls for butter, or even spread on toast!

Last edited:
Heating the marijuana will effectively decarboxylate most of the cannabinoids, making them active, and will probably *increase* the potency of your product.

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/Library/studies/ledain/ldc2b.htm

"In fresh green plants, the cannabinoids are primarily present in carboxylic acid forms, which are changed into the corresponding neutral compounds by aging or heat (for example, burning or cooking).159, 174 THC acid (THCA) for example, is apparently psychotropically inactive, and must be decarboxylated to THC prior to administration in order to produce significant effects. It has been suggested that some decarboxylation occurs in living plants growing in the tropics.420 Hashish, perhaps because of its age or conditions of treatment generally contains a smaller proportion of cannabinoids in acid form."

159. Doorenbos, N. J., Fetterman, P. S., Quimby, M. W., & Turner. C. E. Cultivation, extraction and analysis of Cannabis sativa L. Paper presented at New York Academy of Sciences Conference on Marijuana: Chemistry, Pharmacology and Patterns of Social Usage, New York, May, 197 1.

174. Fairbairn, J. W., Liebmann, J. A., & Simic, S. The tetrahydrocannabinol content of cannabis leaf. Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology, 1971, 23: 558 559.

420. Mechoulam, R. Marihuana chemistry: Recent advances in cannabinoid chemistry open the area to more sophisticated biological research. Science, 1970, 163936): 1159 1166.

Ed Rosenthal:

http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/3037.html

When marijuana is harvested, the THC molecule is bound to a carboxyl group – COOH – that is, one atom each of carbon and hydrogen and two atoms of oxygen. With a carboxyl group attached, THC is not active.

Heating dried marijuana makes the carboxyl group convert into water (H2O) and carbon dioxide (CO2). When marijuana is smoked, the burning eliminates the carboxyl group. There are several ways to decarboxylate marijuana for use in extracts. A layer of marijuana buds or leaf can be placed in an oven at 150 degrees for 15 minutes. This is far below the boiling point of THC yet warm enough to evaporate the carboxyl group. Another method of releasing the COOH is by placing a bowl of buds in the microwave for 2 minutes. The waves will boil away the water. The boiling point of marijuana's active cannabinoids ranges from 260-392 degrees F.

^^^ finally a chemical explaination to the whole heat-activatation story. i still find it hard to believe because i've eaten uncooked pot and gotten stoned.. though not as stoned off comparable amounts of butter

you can throw your pot directly into the mix but the pot taste is usually very strong, which not all people like. Makeing cannabutter is the way to go if you are going to eat it. dont use margarine though hehe (i suppose you can but margarine is pure nastiness (aka transfat))

i boil the butter/water/bud for like 6 hours before straining, then use the butter as regular butter. it works very well.