Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Want 5htp and have no credit card ?

Dr. Beat

Bluelighter
Quite a few people I meet at raves want 5htp but have no credit card or can not be bothered ordering it in, but want 5htp.

There are 2 sources of 5htp in food that I have found that work for me.

Bananas contain a medium amount ( I am guessing about 8mg for a medium sized banana) , and turkey, which I am guessing about 50mg in a turkey drumstick, or turkey breast fillet. If you do no want to go through moody mondays, or terrible tuesdays, then eat turkey for dinner, especially sunday and monday night, and eat lots of bananas through out the day.

I found that if I eat turkey for lunch, I get too sedated from the seratonin effect, so it is better for dinner, so the seratonin boost is used for a good nights sleep.

5htp is much better absorbed in the brain with no other protein, so eat the turkey with vegetables only, (an oven roast is a good idea). And eat bananas by them self, (eg. no milk or soy) on an empty stomach for maximum effect.

The other thing to remember is that a lot of companies will also accept direct deposit, or mail order. Of course this may be a little hard for companies outside of Australia, however many NZ companies woulden't be to hard to pay. I guess it depends how much you really want/need it.

I have just started on 5-HTP and hoping for good results.

Just a suggestion :)

Shal..

Justa quick rule of thumb, I think you need roughly 200 bananas to equal one 5htp tablet. There are a few 5-htp/tryptophan threads from the past (leaving work in 1 minute actually!) so I can't dig them up. I'm sure someone else will be able to before I get home.

*EDIT* Ok, it appears no one has helped. Heres one thread to look at.

Located here

Last edited:
I'm very sure that those foods don't actually contain any 5-htp, as opposed to tryptophan, the pre-precursor to serotonin. The downside of this is that tryptophan must be used to create 5-htp in the body, before the 5-htp can be used to create serotonin.

The downside of this is that tryptophan must be used to create 5-htp in the body, before the 5-htp can be used to create serotonin.

Well that depends on how well each transports to desired destinations before being transformed into serotonin. More on this to come.

Sorry Wazza, I promised ages ago to respond to your excellent Everything you always wanted to know about Tryptophan but were afraid to ask thread. I haven't forgotten and have in fact prepared something, but I wanted to expand on the subject so please bare with me on this.

5HTP is rarely found in nature in any significant amounts except in Griffonia simplicifolia. Both L-tryptophan and Serotonin are found in several foods, however the fate of any consumed serotonin is (hopefully) decided in the stomach where it is metabolised.

um....just buy some SAMe. that's the name of the stuff you get in the health shops in australia that is the equivilent to 5-htp.
happy chomping

SAMe and 5HTP are not the same. I think you may also find that many people have found SAMe to be no better than placebo. Of course I could be a little out of date on the subject, but SAMe was discussed at some length on this board prior to and following its release.

hmmm interesting....
got a link to that? i've never had SAMe, but a couple of my friends swear by it. are there different active ingrediants or what?