1. Star Wars
2. The Rocky Horror Picture Show
3. Fight Club
4. Koyaanisqatsi
5. The Shawshank Redemption

Insert your opinions...

FoXi
09-08-2003, 16:29
At this moment in time, my 5 favorite movies would have to be: (in no particular order)

Empire of the Sun
A Little Romance
Dead Man
Baraka
Run Lola Run

I'm 99% sure that these will change tommarow :) There are just too many movies that I really love.

BA
09-08-2003, 17:22
American Beauty
Requiem For A Dream
Office Space
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
The Beach

AmorRoark
09-08-2003, 18:28
The Godfather
Magnolia
Amadeus
Blow
Romeo and Juliet (1996)/ The Virgin Suicides

Big boy
09-08-2003, 21:47
I like to many films to chose just five, but i can tell you my #1 movie.

A Clockwork Orange

twominds
09-08-2003, 23:18
No particular order...

Taxi Driver.
Scarface.
Fear & loathing...
A clockwork orange.
Trainspotting.

Dan1584
10-08-2003, 10:06
Aliens
The Matrix
Jurassic Park
Oceans Eleven
Mission Impossible 2

meanie_au
10-08-2003, 10:15
are trilogy's classified as one movie?(referring to Star Wars)

hmm. my top 5 at this point in time, and in no particular order

Fight Club
The Matrix
Mallrats
Scream (the first one the rest were crap!)
Chopper

asmodeus256
10-08-2003, 10:19
I'd say that trilogies are not classified as one movie. By Star Wars I meant Episode IV: A New Hope.

Istigeit
11-08-2003, 04:59
-Apocalypse Now
-Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas
-Evil Dead 2: Dead By Dawn
-The Two Towers
-Delicatesson

onetwothreefour
11-08-2003, 11:58
some nice lists so far...mine:

1. mulholland drive - david lynch, 2001
i guess i'm a sucker for style, so that definitely increases my love of this film, but it's also a fantastic exploration of relationships, lost love, hopes and dreams. lynch is a superb film-maker, and this is a superb film.

2. fight club - david fincher, 1999
i guess this has been accused as being 'style-over-substance' (most fincher films are) but i (obviously) disagree. the perfect take on our post-modern society; it sums up apathy, our desire for destruction, and our desire for superficial "happiness"...awesome

3. edward scissorhands - tim burton, 1990
no one does weird gothicness better than burton, and no one acts it better than depp. along with ed norton, kevin spacey and brad pitt, depp is one of my favourite actors, and he plays this role to a tee. a fucking awesome script probably helps it too.

4. the usual suspects - bryan singer, 1995
best mystery film i've ever seen. of course, it's not *that* ingenious (in that i've seen more intelligent films), but the way it's put together is unmatched. massively good ensemble cast headed by the near-perfect kevin spacey, and some of the funniest-but-subtle dialogue in any film. the sose myth is *perfectly* perpetuated, too.

5. belle de jour - luis bunuel, 1967
gotta have a little perversity :) ok, so i love my old french films, and this is my favourite of the lot. to explore deviant sexuality in 1967 like he does in this film is both admirable and enjoyable, and bunuel's casting of deneuve is inspired. she's beautiful, and she's a fantastic actress, entirely carries the film.

honourable mentions: se7en, twelve monkeys, requiem for a dream, ladri di biciclette.

edit: fixed a couple of things...

Looper
11-08-2003, 13:38
We was different before the weekend and will probably be different next time I think about it but:

City of God
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Big Lebowski
Fargo
Amélie

whitegirl
12-08-2003, 10:03
Friday
Delores Claiborn
Requiem for a Dream
Beetle Juice
All About the Benjamins

wendisoul
12-08-2003, 15:14
The five that I would want if on a desert island, so I guess this makes them my top 5:

1. The Neverending story
2. Forrest Gump
3. The Matrix
4. Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail
5. Dennis the Menace

ha :)

karmacoma
13-08-2003, 14:14
These five are at least as good as any other five I can think of…

Spinal Tap
Goodfellas
Diner
Melvin and Howard
Big Wednesday

CRS
13-08-2003, 17:25
-> Before Sunrise
-> Dead Poets Society
-> Forrest Gump
-> Léon - The Professional
-> Pulp Fiction

:)

asmodeus256
14-08-2003, 02:49
My alternate list:

1. Amelie
2. Spirited Away
3. Memento
4. Waking Life
5. Requiem for a Dream

michael
14-08-2003, 03:36
the last 5 movies i watched that i liked, which is usually my 5 favorites:

the great escape
for a few dollars more
the magnificent seven
bullitt
kurosawa's dreams

what can i say, i'm in a steve mcqueen phase.

sound+vision
14-08-2003, 03:54
no particular order:

the Big Lebowski
the Seventh Seal
Holy Mountain
Edward Scissorhands
One Flew over the Cukoo's nest

+Requiem, lots by Kurosawa, Kubrik, etc.

to CRS: how can you think that Gump and Dead Poets society are both great? One is a celebration of rebellion and expression against rigid traditionalism, while one is 'validation' of conservative morality and values.

buzzy
14-08-2003, 07:09
Léon / The Professional
Black Hawk Down
Apocalypse Now (redux)
Ronin
Heat

Charl-e-J
14-08-2003, 07:09
I am a big independant film fan so....

Amelie
City of God
Waking Life
Requiem for a Dream
High Fidelity (has to be in the top 5 :) )

asmodeus256
14-08-2003, 08:22
and the Lifetime Achievement Award for a flim goes to: High Fidelity for inspiring this thread. ;)

LinZ-E
16-08-2003, 03:49
(not in any order)
--Fear and Loathing in LV
--Requiem for a Dream
--A Clockwork Orange
--Alice In Wonderland :)
--Fight Club (and any other upcoming Palahniuk book that becomes a film...)

damn...I want to squeeze Rocky Horror into there somewhere...

alasdairm
16-08-2003, 04:07
hmmm. hard to choose 5 and put them in order but a stab would be.

1. 12 angry men
2. the 5th element
3. withnail and i
4. groundhog day
5. idioterne (the idiots)
6. heat or the wicker man or ghost dog or goodfellas

alasdair

rock_lobster
16-08-2003, 18:31
(only a few people mentioned Ameile!!! off the top of my head!)

1. Ameile
2. Terminator 1
3. Night of the living Dead
4. Dawn of the Dead
5. Titanic (shut up!!!!!! :-)

LapDawg
17-08-2003, 00:34
5 off the top of my head:

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Caddyshack
Bottle Rocket (I'm a Wes Anderson mark)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
The Godfather, part II

this would be 5 of many favorites. I can't pick just 5 top films.

alasdairm
17-08-2003, 01:52
Originally posted by LapDawg
this would be 5 of many favorites. I can't pick just 5 top films.

i hear you - i find myself saying that i have loads of film sin my top 5 :)

that said, it's an interesting exercise disciplining myself to come up with a list of 5 and only 5 movies for a top 5. i should try it more often.

lots of good movies here. keep them coming...

how many of your favourite movies are in the IMDB top 250 (http://www.imdb.com/top_250_films)?

of the 8 movies in my top 5, 4 are.

alasdair

onetwothreefour
17-08-2003, 05:46
belle de jour
edward scissorhands
fight club
mulholland drive
requiem for a dream
se7en
twelve monkeys
the usual suspects

that's the list of films that i've given ten out of ten to on imdb, all the ones in italics are in the top two-fifty. so i guess i have boring taste :)

michael
17-08-2003, 09:01
alasdair, everytime i look at that list it drives me nuts. it's obviously skewed towards a bunch of people (mostly 35 or younger) who just vote for their favorite movies, without regard for how good the movie actually is.

disclaimer: many of my favorite movies are not really that good either.

but anyway:

the great escape (68)
for a few dollars more (not on list, but it is superior to it's prequel the good, the bad, and the ugly, which is 25)
the magnificent seven (somehow ommited
bullitt (not on list)
kurosawa's dreams (kurosawa's artistic masterpiece doesn't make the list?)

i know it is silly to get upset at these (rather glaring, i would say) omissions, but then again it's never bothered me that i have slightly different tastes then most. i am proud to say that i am not weird enough to consider two of the recent LotR movies to be among the ten best ever made.

Shuba
21-08-2003, 09:53
Dead Man
The big Lebowski
Bladerunner
Clockwork Orange
Being John Malkovich

Although it pains me to leave out Adaptation, Ghost Dog and Donnie darko

L O V E L I F E
22-08-2003, 10:02
Gotta do ten:

(01) The Shawshank Redemption

(02) Godfather

(03) Godfather, Part II

(04) Pulp Fiction

(05) Schindler's List

(06) A Bronx Tale

(07) The Usual Suspects

(08) Fight Club

(09) 25th Hour

(10) Fresh

L O V E L I F E
22-08-2003, 10:26
"High Fidelity (has to be in the top 5 )"

Clever. :)

While I'm posting, I might as well add numbers 11 and 12, two movies that are great for the same reasons:

(11) Diner

(12) Swingers

karmacoma
22-08-2003, 12:23
Yes, Lovelife! Another vote for Diner!

Neural_Shock
22-08-2003, 16:51
I can't say all 5 but I know that "Withnail & I" and "2001" are definitely always in there. After that, it's a pool of: The Wicker Man, Nixon, JFK, Talk Radio, The Thing, The Fog, Godfather 2, Goodfellas, Fargo, Requiem for a Dream, Army of Darkness, Fear and Loathing, The Shining, Videodrome, The Shawshank Redemption, Ringu, Empire Strikes Back, Man Bites Dog.... and it varies and I left out some. I just can't settle on a top list, sorry. It's so subjective as well.

alasdairm
22-08-2003, 20:50
Originally posted by Neural_Shock
The Wicker Man

almost none of my friends have even heard of this let alone watched it! it is such an excellent movie - somebody stole my DVD copy about 2 months ago :(

alasdair

vegan
23-08-2003, 07:32
1) mulholland drive
2) the nightmare before christmas
3) memento
4) Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail
5) mad dogs

Sideways_Falling
24-08-2003, 04:42
Top 5 (no order)

-12 monkeys
-Adaptation
-Fight Club (I LOVE THE BOOK!)
-Edward Scissorhands
-Vanilla Sky (Probaly my #1)

Honorable Mentions: Dead Man, Blow (Johnny Deep is hardcore!) Being John Malkovich, a clockwork orange, spirited away.

Neural_Shock
25-08-2003, 09:21
Originally posted by alasdairm
almost none of my friends have even heard of this let alone watched it! it is such an excellent movie - somebody stole my DVD copy about 2 months ago :(

alasdair

Damn shame. Noone seems to know it at all but it's one of the best movies I've ever seen. I only found it a few weeks ago myself.

onetwothreefour
15-02-2004, 16:11
okay, it's been a while, and i thought i'd do this again - i've seen a whole bunch of new films, and reconsidered on some others. all of these, again, are films i've given ten-out-of-ten to (something i don't do often - i've got about six hundred and twenty total films on my list...only a few with ten :)).

[edit: the films marked in red are those which reside in the imdb top 250 as of today's date :)]

belle de jour
edward scissorhands
le fabuleux destin d'amélie poulain (amelie)
fight club
full metal jacket
lost in translation
mulholland drive
requiem for a dream
se7en
twelve monkeys
the usual suspects
yume (dreams)

also, alphaville, rope, sympathy for the devil, and lolita (lyne, 1997) are *damn* close...sitting on nine :)

BA
15-02-2004, 16:55
Favorites:

Basketball Diaries
American Beauty
Lord of the Rings: Return of the King
Scarface
The Wizard of Oz

Honorable Mention:

The Matrix
Goodfellas
A Christmas Story
Saving Private Ryan
Gangs of New York

expatriate
15-02-2004, 19:38
My list is a whole lot longer than just five, but for the purposes of the thread:

In no specific order

Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
Baraka
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Full Metal Jacket
Raising Arizona

Honorable mention: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, A Clockwork Orange, The Big Lebowski, Apocalypse Now, Trainspotting, Bladerunner.

Pounding_Grooves
16-02-2004, 03:03
this is hard so to make it easier ill just name a film from every recent decade.....
50's.... touch of evil
60's....seconds
70's....the long goodbye
80's....blue velvet
90's...boogie nights
00's ...not over yet so cant say, lol

Volcom456
16-02-2004, 04:16
hmmm, lets see..
1.) Office space
2.) Blow
3.) Miracle
4.) Requiem for a dream
5.) Super Troopers

but like most people i have a lot more favorite movies, narrowing it down to 5 is tough

Altered_Soul9
17-02-2004, 21:21
1)Fight Club
2)Vanilla Sky
3)Requiem for a dream
4)Brotherhood of the wolf
5)Major Payne

Negative
18-02-2004, 06:12
A Clockwork Orange
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
The Godfather, Part II
Lost Highway

with Goodfellas a very close number six . . .

and Honorable Mention goes to a lot of movies, but most notably Trainspotting, Monty Python's Life of Brian, Fight Club, Pi, Rushmore, Office Space and Resevoir Dogs.

kemikals
19-02-2004, 02:24
- 2001: A Space Oddessey
- Fight Club
- Fear and Loathing In
- Vanilla Sky
- The Beach

others - Willy Wonka, 25th Hour, American History X, Clockwork Orange, and the Naked Gun series.

OniKage
19-02-2004, 02:58
whew top five thats hard, i love so many
1. Yojimbo- (the bodyguard) by akira kurosawa, the greatest film of all time. the most ripped off script of all time; here is a list of movies that hijacked the plot;
fistfull of dollars, fresh, last man standing, millers crossing, dessert heat (yes even van damme was in a yojimbo remake), most recently a viking movie called when the raven flies,and about six more that i forgot

2. fight club - of course the book is always better but this was an was an awesome screenplay too. this movie was a lot closer than anyone will ever know to a movie bruce lee wrote called the way of the silent flute, that was buthered and made into a horrible david carradine movie; the circle of iron. its funny, this movie did terrible at the box office, but is on most everybody's list here.

3. Pulp Fiction - Quentin Tarantino changed the way movies are made. his dialogue is awesome and he spawned the most imitators. funny, him being an imitator of all pop culture.

4. True Romance - quentin tarantinos first script......this movie is so overlooked but the more i watch it the more i love it(kinda like the big lebowski). the writing of this movie is so good, quentin poured his heart into it, and it shows. nobody would buy the script at the time, and now every movie tries to be like this

5. Warren Oates is Dead - hasn't been made yet, written by the guy who taught me screenwriting - this will blow your minds....when it gets made

honorable mention; Placebo, Parasites, Degenerates, To Die A Dogs Death..........whoops, a little ahead of myself, i havent quite finished making these yet. : )

johnnykage

onetwothreefour
19-02-2004, 05:48
^^^ nice list :)

though, as much as i love books (and i *do* love books), i actually think that both the film *and* screenplay of fight club are better than the original book.

maybe it's because i don't like palahniuk too much as a writer (and i don't, though i think it's justifiable) - i think the man's ideas are absolutely amazing, and translated perfectly to film, but i don't really like the way in which he puts forward these ideas (as much as the film/screenplay does, at least).

thus, for me, whilst the book is fantastic and contains a whole lot of seminal and hugely important philosophising, i think that palahniuk would be better off doing just that (imo, he could write a fantastic non-fiction book if he wanted), because the film achieves the story-telling function of his ideas far better than his book ever does.

NotoriousBoi
19-02-2004, 08:41
1: Beetlejuice
2:Serial Mom
3: Edward Scissorhands
4: Finding Nemo
5: Shrek

ExeterBlue
19-02-2004, 21:10
In no particular order...

The Matrix