Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

gays take more drugs?

neon_utopia

Bluelighter
Hey all,
Just wondering, is the myth that gays and lesbians tend to take more drugs and lots of them then straights true? ive definatly seen it being the case lol
just curious..

peace,

:)

Sounds like a myth to me, and nothing more. I might fit your sexual preference criteria, but I certainly don't take nearly as many drugs as my straight friends. Of course, I can't speak for everyone, but I highly doubt it.

Perhaps you are thinking about the generalisation and statistics of gay and lesbian nightclubs that get raided and shown to have high levels of drug use? (as opposed to other clubs who may not have the same levels)

alot of friends i have - only started having gay/lesbian curiosities after experiences on ecstasy

thoguhts?

This thread may be of interest. I don't think gay and lesbian people necessarily take more drugs than straight people.

There is a fair amount fo research suggesting higher rates of drug use amongst gay and lesbian people.

Check out Beyond Perceptions: A review of alcohol and other drug use among gay lesbian, bisexual and queer populations in Victoria which can be downloaded from here. Here's a small excerpt.

A large number of respondents expressed the belief that alcohol and other drug use within the GLBQ (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Queer) communities would be a reflection of that found in the broader community.

While it is true that younger people in both the GLBQ communities and the National Household Survey do use more alcohol and other drugs than the older age groups, the level of use for most drugs in the present sample is substantially higher.

For example 76% of younger people (20-29) in this GLBQ sample compared to 20% in the NHS had ever used amphetamines. Overall the alcohol and other drug use within the GLBQ communities is two-to four-fold higher than in the broader community. In this survey men were up to twice as likely to report having ever used any particular drug, compared to women.

It's always hard to get a representative sample of gay and lesbian people, but there's a lot of anecdotal evidence to support the different research that comes out about this issue. There's a whole range of theories as to why there'd be higher rates of illicit drug use amongst gay and lesbian people.

I tend to think gay and lesbian people find out that society's morality is bullshit and are much more sceptical of the status quo. I think it leaves gay and lesbian people more open to experiencing things society otherwise deems taboo.

There's other theories that pressure from homophobia causes increased stress and therefore drug use.

I like to think that us queers just really know how to party =D

I would have to say that E has been embraced by the gay community... but ive only noticed that from watching the gay madi gras in Sydney but then again its a party.. and what does everyone do at parties

Flexistentialist, I guess my assumption is based on knowing a number of gay and lesbian singles and coulples, of which probably only half would be into dance and drugs. However this may be more reflective of this area rather than the community as a whole. Starighter people are generally the older ones which supports your comments regarding young drug users.

I tend to think gay and lesbian people find out that society's morality is bullshit and are much more sceptical of the status quo. I think it leaves gay and lesbian people more open to experiencing things society otherwise deems taboo.

There's other theories that pressure from homophobia causes increased stress and therefore drug use.

I like to think that us queers just really know how to party

Sounds right on all counts but there's no doubt about the last comment, hee hee..

I don't know what the thing is with sex and E. In my personal experience and the experience of many others, I find sex while peaking on an E the last thing I would want to do... meth is different on the other hand.

I don't have any gay friends, but I have seen meth do strange things to girls :)

I've also been to a couple of male gay clubs (don't ask, I had to tag along) and what I witnessed was some hardcore picking-up-random-partners for the night thing. So I guess if E is associated with sex for some people, I am sure gays would take a lot more of it :) I mean, gays taking more drugs is a bit of a myth, but I think it simply comes from the fact that gays tend to be a lot more premiscuos (with the exception of course of the TV type likable gays before someone jumps on my back :) )

dexter_stayne said:
alot of friends i have - only started having gay/lesbian curiosities after experiences on ecstasy

thoguhts?

Worthwhile topic for a different thread. (although I'm sure it's been done before). Your question will get lost here amongst the other discussion.

Runner said:

I've also been to a couple of male gay clubs (don't ask, I had to tag along) and what I witnessed was some hardcore picking-up-random-partners for the night thing. )

Funny, I know this is off topic but... how do you know it was hardcore picking-up-random- partners for the night thing? Did you follow them around all night and make sure that they didn't take them home and formulate a long term meaningful relationship? 8(

^^ There's no way you'll ever get an answer to that question...

I noticed a long time ago that all the homosexual people I know are drug users... I think this
tend to think gay and lesbian people find out that society's morality is bullshit and are much more sceptical of the status quo. I think it leaves gay and lesbian people more open to experiencing things society otherwise deems taboo
will do for an explanation.

:)

Last edited:
Yes, gays take more drugs. Just like all blondes have more fun, all people with their shirts off at parties are on coke, and all red cars go faster. :)

I wonder where they're doing this research. If they're doing it mainly on the gay scene, well of course they're going to get a high rate of drug use. However there are gay people who do exist off the club scene (despite the stereotypes) and maybe there are *gay* people who do not identify as such at the moment (denial can be such a nice place to be in).

I'm not sure on percentages in general, I think the previous statement in this thread; that because gay people tend to be able to look past and indulge in society's taboo's makes them more open to drug use is possibly accurate.

I would guess that in general, a higher percentage of gay people indulge in illicit drugs than straight people.

From my observations though, time and time again what I've found is the following.

- Gay men go the hardest. Unless they're out to pickup of course, in which case they're home by 2am =D
- The drugs I get in the gay scene are consistently better than those I get in the straight scene... this may have something to do with the abnormally high tolerance of gay men who drop every weekend and won't settle for anything but strong pills.

There is a sad side to this too... like I was saying to a best friend a few weeks ago, quite a few gay men in the scene seem to lack a certain switch in their brains that says "stop taking drugs now, you've had enough".

At the same time though, I don't think lesbians share the same hungry hungry hippo syndrome (thanks BT :p) as their male counterparts.

All drugs, but especially ecstacy, are a big part of the gay scene. For example, you wouldn't see pills at most 'regular, straight' clubs (commercial top 40/RnB) whereas there are no gay clubs in this country, or just about anywhere in the world, where you wouldn't find pills.

I think it's only an unfair assumption and slander to make when confronted with a gay person who is distinctly 'non-scene' and there are plenty out there, who don't sleep around and who don't ever touch drugs.

There is not one gay person I know who doesnt take drugs

Backo said:
I would have to say that E has been embraced by the gay community... but ive only noticed that from watching the gay madi gras in Sydney but then again its a party.. and what does everyone do at parties

Yeah they've embraced it, but they were actually doing it before anyone else ;) E usage among gay males started about 1985/86 overseas, especially in the UK.

I think maybe 20 years ago you could perhaps say gays did more drugs than straights but I'm not so sure now that drugs are kinda mainstream. But yeah gays do like to party....except for my gay next door neighbours.....they're like the straightest gays i've ever seen 8o when i see them religiously washing their car in the drive every sunday, i cant really imagine them snorting a few lines of a saturday night :D

hahaha
mental image of rod and todd in the future (simpsons)