Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Bad reaction from Weed

banana_man

Bluelighter
First off, I dont smoke much and never have. I have maybe had 50 drags off a join in my whole life (not a whole joint, just a drag of one being passed around).

Anyway I often seem to get a bad reaction from it. The other night I had 3 drags and totally lost it. I was restless, had no short term memory, was very uncomfortable around other people and had to remove myself to the car to try and sit it out. At it turns out I was in a very uncomfortubly stoned and unable to function for nearly 3 hours... Now I really hated every second of this situation and would have done anything to make it stop. Oh, as far as other chems are concerned- I had one vodka cruiser before hand and that is all.

I hear/read about so many people who love smoking soo much but I find that for me it is a very fine line. Once I have 1 puff too many I go to a place I dont like and cannot get out of.

I have spoken to a couple of people who seem to be of the opinion that my reaction is related to passed excesses with pills etc.

Does this happen to anyone else ? Any advice ??

I am very new to the whole being stoned thing. I think there is a line between being happily stoned and going to far. I have taken myself to the place you describe but that was with the help of home made mull muffins.

When I ate the muffin it didn't taste overly strong and after an hour or maybe even two I didn't seem overly stoned, so I ate another. Now just like with all drugs at one time or another this was a bad choice. I swear after just finishing the seccond muffin I knew it was a bad choice. I was at a mates house with a bunch of full time smokers and they were cooking tea for all of us. When I could tell this was way too strong for me I decided sleep was the best thing, closed my eyes and went too sleep.

When I was woken for tea, I had to decline as I could barely speak let alone eat. After about 4 more hours I could start to comunicate with everyone again but my speach was very slow.

The next day when I woke for work I couldn't belive that I was still fucked, luckily my boss was on holidays so when I got to work I locked myself in the shed and slept for half the day.

I have as of late started smoking bongs after work, just for something to do but im only having like three of the tiniest cones you have ever seen in your life for the night. 1 when I get home 1 about an hour later then I'm pretty happily mashed then 1 before bed.

Most people are going to be very sensitive to one drug or another looks like this is yours, maybe if you like it when you have the right amount, you should try it more in a homely environment where if you go to far you just go to sleep.

banana_man: Do you like being stoned at all? It sounds like maybe marijuana doesn't agree with you... if you don't like the effects you get from 3 tokes and a vodka, maybe you might want to give it away.

BigTrancer :)

I think marijuana is a very under-rated drug to a lot of people.

banana_man: Maybe you're just taking one drag too many. It's natural for you not to smoke nearly as much as regular users. I consider myself a regular user and lately, even a single cone has done me nice. Next time (if there's going to be a next time), just try a single drag and see how that goes. If you've been fine off a single drag before, then consider the potency of that last joint, maybe it was really good stuff. Maybe your inhalation technique has gotten better and you inhaled those drags more deeply than you usually would.

I really think this is a matter of hitting it too hard, rather than an abnormal reaction.

Thanks for the advice,

doofhard-> I feel for you. The first time I tried dope, I smoked untill I felt I had enough of ( or a little over ) the effects I was comfortable with (1/2 an unmixed bud). I then went inside and 10 minutes later the full load of it hit me.. I was a very unhappy person indeed until I fell asleep out of exhaustion.

BT -> What I don't like is the k-hole/Acid type of midset I get if I go that little too far. You know - intense mind racing but unable to focus, getting caught in loops and loosing track of what you are doing... Not being all that experienced I wasn't sure if this was what others would describe as "stoned" or if they would describe it as "too stoned".. If that is just being "stoned", your right - I don't like being stoned at all. If its "too stoned", then I maybe I just have low tolerance and need to be more careful.

EJ-> Good point about the inhalation technique. I used to cough my guts up but have learnt to have a drink handy to reduce this. I am probrably holding it in a bit longer too..

I don't have any wish for smoking to become a regular part of my life but I would like to be able to enjoy it on those times when the situation presents itself. I think last time I paniced a little when I knew where I was headed, this cant of helped matters. I will take it, slowly, one drag at a time, wait a bit and see where it takes me... Some others want to organise a bake up, I think I might give this a miss.

BT -> What I don't like is the k-hole/Acid type of midset I get if I go that little too far. You know - intense mind racing but unable to focus, getting caught in loops and loosing track of what you are doing... Not being all that experienced I wasn't sure if this was what others would describe as "stoned" or if they would describe it as "too stoned".. If that is just being "stoned", your right - I don't like being stoned at all. If its "too stoned", then I maybe I just have low tolerance and need to be more careful.

Yeah I think you're possibly just overshooting the mark that you're aiming for maybe? If you've ever smoked marijuana in the past, like 'a drag' and then walked away feeling happy, then perhaps you're taking too much when you have 3 drags and freak out.

If you've never ever smoked marijuana and felt that you've actually enjoyed sitting around feeling happy and enjoying the effect, then perhaps you just don't like the feeling of choof. Not everyone does... I love the stuff, but it's easy enough to go too far and make yourself feel a bit retarded and a bit confused or nauseous.

If you smoke it mixed with tobacco, then maybe you could add more tobacco to weaken the mix out a bit. If you smoke it plain mary jane, then perhaps just have 1 toke, and then let it go for half an hour and see if it actually does anything to your mindset at all. If it's positive, then cool... next time the opportunity presents itself maybe take like a toke and a half... work your way up to see if you like the effect.

If on the other hand, if it's negative feelings from 1 toke, then I'd say you don't like choof. If you can't feel anything after 1 toke, and then you have another and get headspins and start freaking, then choof is just not your thang. Some people just hate it... don't feel wierd about that :)

Don't be at all afraid to smoke small amounts. Just because your mates or 'regular' smokers you're smoking with smoke alot, doesn't mean you have to. I've been around people who, when they smoke, they fucking smoke chimney-style. As for me, unless I'm already on another planet from other drugs, I'm a one or two cone man. I've been a regular smoker for nearly 2 years, and only recently have I learnt to endure more than 2 cones in a row.

I love weed, but its affecting me on many different levels, and I doubt I'm the only one. If you only need to smoke a very small amount to get high, consider yourself lucky. You're saving your money and your health - not to mention your damn lungs!

banana_man said:
had no short term memory

lol, sounds pretty normal to me...what were you saying? :)

anyway, when i first started smoking weed, i *hated* it. like really, really disliked it. it made me uncomfortable, feel weird, i didn't like the fact that i couldn't really figure out what was going on.

got used to it though. i think it's just a case of that - i got used to the weird feeling, so that it didn't scare or annoy me anymore, and actually started finding all these enjoyable things to do whilst stoned - it's fun to eat (!), play video games, stuff like that. maybe your "fun things," will be different...

then again, don't keep smoking weed just 'cause everyone else does - if you decide you just don't like it, don't worry, don't do it :)

First time I got really stoned, I was asking my friends to call the ambulance because I thought I have ODed :)

I had about 3 buckets in a row because I didn't feel the effect of one straight away. It all started with severe twitching in my legs. I then had a play on my friends guitar and upon closing my eyes got some very pleasant feelings/visuals. And from then on reality just slipped away everything went from frame-by-frame to i have no idea what's going on to a flash back to a recurring nightmare I had a child. I was begging my friends to makeit stop severelly freaking them out. After I came off it a bit, I gave all my dope a friend and said, I don't want to ever do it again - I was so glad it was over. In the morning (it was a sleepover), I asked my mate for my dope back :) It didn't seem that bad in the morning :)

Lesson: don't get too stoned especially if you can't control memory loss, paranoia etc. Don't get stoned in public places unless you are comfortable (when I started doing gigs and singing in pubs, I used get stoned before I would get up on stage in front of everyone to train my confidence :)

Also, really watch mull after being on a pill or while on meth. This sends me to a world that is far different from this one and I can probably only handle it while falling asleep (in fact I quite like it).

Generally, THC is much underated in terms of its effects. It is a very powerful drug and in some places it is responsible for more admissions in rehap/mental hospitals than meth. Also, if you are genetically predisposed to schizophrenia, mull isn't something you want to play with.

On the bright side, for most people, a small dose is a nice relaxing feeling and a possibility of overdose is 0%. My suggestion to anyone who is after a small dose like in the original post, smoke it out of a pipe and maybe a bong. This is the way you get stoned the least. When smoking out of a joint, you ingest *shitloads*. There is at least 6 cones in a joint because the stuff is finelly crushed and usually dry. I good puff of a joint is probably a whole cone taken in in one go much like a bucket. And yeah, don't do buckets :)

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, Runner.

I would strongly reccommend that banana_man stick to joints. In my experience and from observation, joints creep and bongs hit. It does have a lot to do with how you inhale, but I find that a lot of people who aren't used to smoking bongs tend to under-estimate how efficient a bong is. It's easy to control the amount of smoke you inhale with a joint.

I think what EJ said is spot on. I've seen some joint smokers get pretty messed up on the rare bong. At a party, a friend who smokes joints regularly had his first bong and completely lost it in like ten minutes. He was freaking out, talking nonsense and we had to help him off the toilet as he said he couldn't activate the muscles in his arms and legs. Once we calmed him down, he feel asleep pretty quickly and was perfectly fine when he woke up.

Like EJ, I was always under the impression that joints are pretty gradual but bongs HIT you.

With all due respect, I have to disagree. You can put a tiny bit in the bong and take it. In joint, a good long puff is a big cone. Also, with a joint, its a lot easier to get carried away and have a puff too many.

The reason you have seen people get more trashed of bongs is because most of your mates probably mix tobacco with mull in joints because they are stingy pricks :) Also, many roll the shittier parts of mull into joints and save the good buds for bongs.

My first suggestion was a pipe. You can only take a little at a time because the smoke will burn your throat. A bong is second best option, but you can take a longer pull especially if its a water bong. But anything where you can control your dose properly (even a buket!) is the way to go.

I find it far easier to control the DOSE with a pipe or bong, because I know exactly how much choof and how much tobacco I have put in, and I know how much of each material I have smoked. Joints can be very difficult to judge how much you've had, particularly if you're passing one around, and there's not always the presence of mind to wait half an hour after the J has finished before sparking another... But, I find you can get juuust as stoned either way. They're both good methods of smoking marijuana.

Last edited:
Joints are my preferred way of smoking because I enjoy chopping mull, rolling the J, and enjoy the smoke and taste and the whole process. I only use the best dry bud for my joints. I smoke very occasionally and only ever on the weekends so I can afford to "waste" (as many would describe it) best buds for my Js.

Banana man......This precise reaction happened to me too.

15 years later I stopped..

I now have control again!

Runner: I agree that you can put tiny amounts in pipes/bongs, but I did say - "I find that a lot of people who aren't used to smoking bongs tend to under-estimate how efficient a bong is."

banana_man did indicate that he has only smoked joints, and I thought it was likely for him to over-pack a cone if he ever has one. I think the same would apply for most novice smokers.

P.S. There's no way you'll see any tobacco in my weed.

SO............... lets answer a hard question then. In the interests of helping the original poster, how would you describe the feeling of being "stoned"? :) Banana_man's gone some way to making an 'in his own words' description relating the feeling to k/acid etc. etc. but I wonder if there's a way we can describe the feeling without referencing other drugs?

A quick description I could come up with for the smoking marijuana process goes like this: "I hold my breath for as long as I can, and then breathe as far out as I think I can take it before gulping in lungful after lungful of air, watching the thick smoke breaths slowly dissipate to clear gasps. As the hyperventilation takes over I notice a rush of blood to my head, and I feel a cold, heady rush and sometimes slightly trembling lips from the nicotine in the tobacco. As this fades, I feel mostly normal again, and then I slowly start to notice the feeling of the marijuana start to take over. It feels to me (from a vantage point of many years of daily use) metaphorically like settling into a comfortable armchair over the next ten minutes. I feel relaxation, warmth, reducing stress, a general shift in consciousness, and an overall pleasant body feeling. On the physical side, some dryness in the mouth, redness in the eyes, chattiness, a little confusion maybe if I try to concentrate hard on something, but generally able to function normally. Occasionally even on one cone I notice substantial visual patterning appearning when I close my eyes, rapidly changing multicoloured fractal patterns which seem concentrated along the line where my eyelids open. I notice positive mood increases over the first 20 minutes after smoking, and then probably a plateau and stabilising and gradual subsiding of the effects over the next 2-3 hours (if I don't top up the dose). On redosing, the same procedure occurs, but the peak effects increase significantly, and sometimes the character of the 'mildly stoned' experience I've just described can turn into a 'heavily stoned' feeling. This, to me, is more characterised by more closed-eye visuals, sometimes open eye visual enhancement, significantly altered thought patterns, lots and lots of laughter, insensitivity to ambient temperature, some body tremor, lots of confusion, occasional racing thoughts and anxiety (particularly if leaving the house to go out... 'have i got everything??', and little anxieties such as that)."

Overall my impression of being stoned is a little hard to quantify in words, because it's so familiar to me, but I hope that's something of a help.

Thats a fair awesume description.
Now for mine of last night considering i'm a very new smoker and only like the feeling of being heavily stoned when i'm at home and in bed.
Smoked 1 cone with a bit of hash on top of the cone, I knew this was going to send me a fair way.
I had just bought an Infected Mushroom Cd so I put that on smoked the cone and got into bed with the electric blanket turned on.
After I blew the smoke out, I got quite a big head rush and instantly felt my eyes to be quite heavy. I sort of floated to bed climbed in and got comfortable. Closed my eyes and began to really feel the music.

The music seemed to drift through my body, while I was getting beautiful patterny visuals through closed eyes. One cool thing was when the music was in a very mellow part and I was I think almost asleep or in a very peaseful place, then it got into an intence part.

It kind of made my whole body twitch and wake up and get back into it again. This went on throghout the whole Cd.

This is one of the best feelings I have ever got from Mull the other ones have all been to inhance other drugs.

Very good description big trancer, although you forgot to mention how after you pull a bong your throat bloody kills for a few seconds!!!! ;)

Banana_man to me, all the symptons you are getting are not from having too many pills or even the alcohol, to me, you are just paranoid, seriously, if you relax and just go with it you will be fine. You are tripping yourself out thinking all this stuff up when you are smashed, just sit back and enjoy it. I sometimes get like that, but not that bad when I smoke around a group of people I don't know, but if I keep thinking about it, I just keep making myself more paranoid, so I tend to just go with the flow, and it is all good.

Maybe weed is just not for you!!!! :\

Slightly OT, but I found that the next day after a reasonable size smoking session that I get a little diahorretic (sp?). Which is completely the opposite to when I take pills/speed.