Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

too much anti-oxidant??

davidd100

Bluelighter
just out of curiosity, is it bad for ur body n brain if taking too much of it, or if there's such a fing of taking too much?

past 6 months i been taking at least 2 a day 4-5 times a week
ne side effect?

This is from an american site:
While Americans should have more vitamins C and E in their diets than currently recommended, huge doses of these vitamins and other antioxidants have no proven benefit and may even be harmful."

_This is the same message I've been giving out all along. It's reassuring to know that scientists are making the same statements.

_Currently, there is not enough evidence to support claims that massive doses of antioxidants can improve health. The researchers are from the Institute of Medicine, a private organization that advises the federal government on the nation's Recommended Daily Allowances (RDAs) for nutrients.

_Health professionals have been waiting for the setting of upper limits of vitamins for quite some time now. It seems that adults should keep their daily vitamin C intake from both food and supplements below 2,000 milligrams because anything higher may cause diarrhea. The upper level for vitamin E, based only on vitamin supplements is 1,000 milligrams or 1,500 International Units. Excess can act as a blood anticoagulant resulting in a greater risk of uncontrolled bleeding and strokes

and

You may have heard or read about antioxidants and you nodded your head, but really didn't understand how they are important to you and your health. First, we need to understand what antioxidants are: vitamins in food that may help block cell damage in our bodies by toxic molecules called free radicals, the byproducts of cellular activity that can damage other cells or cause undue stress to the body. If not blocked, these toxic molecules may actually contribute to the onset of disease, including cancer and cardiovascular disease.

Found mainly in fruits and vegetables, the important antioxidants are vitamin C; vitamin E; and carotenoids, the most commonly known of which is beta-carotene.

Vitamin C is thought to reduce the risk of eye cataracts, some cancers, and cardiovascular disease. Rich sources are green and red bell peppers (and other peppers or capsicums), broccoli, collard greens, spinach, tomatoes, potatoes, oranges and other citrus fruits, and strawberries.

Of all of the antioxidants, vitamin E shows the most promise at possibly preventing cardiovascular disease. Rich sources include green leafy vegetables, oils made from vegetables, seeds, nuts, and wheat germ.

Just as too little of these vitamins can contribute to poor health, so can too much. People should not take in more than 2000 milligrams of vitamin C or 1500 units of vitamin E per day. Too much vitamin C can cause diarrhea, and vitamin E overdose side effects include bleeding.

Although beta-carotene is known the best, it actually represents less than 30 percent of the carotenoids in your blood. Research suggests that diets rich in carotenoids from a variety of fruits and vegetables may protect against some cancers, cardiovascular disease, and cataracts. You'll find carotenoids in dark-green, deep-yellow and bright red vegetables and fruits such as carrots, winter squash (acorn, butternut, etc), sweet potatoes, broccoli, spinach, bell peppers, tomatoes, papayas, cantaloupe, apricots, mangoes, and watermelon.

If you have further questions about how antioxidants fit into your daily meal plan, consult your physician, diabetes educator, or dietitian.

If you want to do any further research, check out this google search

Not more than 2000mg/day?! Well I disagree with that totally.

I don't do that amount all that often but I do take 1000mg everyday. When partying this may go up to 3000-4000mg.

I once took 7 grams to determine the maximum amount by body would tolerate before diarrhea. I then took just less than this (6.5 grams) each day for a week. I felt fucking great, no kidney pains, and it cleared my sinuses like you wouldn't beleive.

Some may argue that large amounts of Vit C causes kidney stones. VERY VERY unlikely. Vit C will actually flush toxic oxalic acid out of the body. It is only if large amounts of oxalic acid are being eliminated (as the calcium salt) over a short period, that would create problems. Unless you have serious renal problems, gout, or gallbladder probs elimination is instead gradual, causing no buildup of oxalic crystals.

As for Vit E; When studying Alzheimers I read where fairly massive amounts of Vit E have been given with NO reported side effects.

The oral median lethal dose found in several species is 2 g/kg, and adverse effects usually are observed at doses greater than 1 g/kg, which is equivalent to 200-500 mg/kg in humans. However, vitamin E has been shown to have few adverse effects, even at high dosages (up to 3200 mg/d). Most deleterious effects have been observed in small studies and in case reports.

Bleeding with excess intake seems to be uncommon and is related to intake of Vitamin K which is depleted by excess Vitamin E. There is also contraindication with warfarin and aspirin. The amounts mentioned seem to be in the dosage range of 500-1000IU/day. These has only been one report stating increased mortality and that was due to subarachnoid hemorrhage in older men who smoked.

E-medicine on vit E

I would be less hesitant to recommend massive doses of Alpha lipoic acid, although I know a guy who takes 3-4 X the daily dose with an equivalent amount of acetyl-carnitine and he reckons he's getting younger every day. His energy levels and mental agility certainly currently seem improved. Trouble is this combo costs a fortune.

Unless a person has an underlying condition I would say it is perfectly safe to triple or quadruple the recommended daily dose of most antioxidants.