• Bluelight
    Shrine

A memorial
    to Bluelighters
    who have passed away

Anonymous Bluelighter

Catch-22

Bluelighter
The facts speak for themselves. A cold winter night in North America. Two young men consume a high dose of mushrooms and try to drive to a nearby party before leaving baseline. The effects hit them hard and they decide it would be wise to get off the road. They stop in a parking lot and begin experiencing strong hallucinations. Both become disoriented. A few hours later one of them realizes he is curled up inside the car with almost all of his clothes removed. After regaining his composure, he gets out of the car to look for his tripping partner....only to find his friend's naked body in the snow. It was -10C (14F) outside. The friend was dead from hypothermia.

The survivor registered an anonymous account and posted his story in Trip Reports. There was an outpouring of support but some quiet skepticism. Some people wanted to see an obituary and there were other types of doubt. How could two people get so disoriented on "only" 7 grams of dried mushrooms? The survivor had a cell phone so why didn't he call for help? There were definitely some unanswered questions.

I can remember a conversation I had with Splatt where we discussed the trip report in question. It had been cross-posted at the Shroomey but the survivor did not appear to derive much satisfaction from the replies or the ratings. He described having thoughts of suicide and how his life was in a shambles. Perhaps it is easy to dismiss "unlikely" stories, but Splatt and myself agreed that the entire report had a certain sense of authenticity to it. Not that our opinion is the final word, but when two people have read thousands of trip reports you begin to spot the exagerations and the phony people who seek extra attention.

Don't get me wrong. I searched for an obituary. I figured out the origin of the post and tried to match details together. Despite a couple hours of effort, I could not find proof either way. The poster (who clearly was familiar with both Bluelight and Shroomery) wanted anonymity so in a way I am glad that his privacy was maintained.

I encourage everyone to accept the story for what it appears to be: a tragic warning of what can happen when people take drugs under the wrong conditions. One young man lost his life. Another was still coping with emotional instability and feelings of regret. The survivor concludes his report with a solemn warning that I think is something we should all remember. "I guess the lesson from all of this is, if you're gonna do drugs, be sensible, know your limits, and always have a sober person around just in case."

Read the original thread

Last edited:
24.gif

I dont cry often, especially over people I didnt know. This story however was an exception. I remember reading this... many people had a hard time believing it but I was sold. This story affected me very strongly and my heart goes out the writer and his friend.

It taught me the importance of looking out for friends regardless of my own state.

:(

:( At least he went out under the influence of psilocybin, I know I would if I got the chance before I died. RIP, dude.

A very sad story... this happened about 20 minutes away from my hometown. :(

edit: oops, didn't happen near my hometown. Getting this confused with another psychedelic mishap. The one where the shroomer was shot and killed by a police officer after he was on her car hood, nude, with a bear knife. Still a tragic story that should have never resulted in loss of life.

Last edited:
That's a very sad story, if it is indeed true I hope the survivor can move on with his life. :(

I am so very sorry to the original poster....I hope everything turns out okay for you. :( :( :( :(

I remember reading this in Trip Reports. It made me so sad :(

R.I.P...

Was reading some old stuff. This still makes me sad :(