Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: Party drugs 'make people age faster'

Minerva

Bluelighter
Party drugs 'make people age faster'
June 24, 2003

PARTY drugs could be making people old before their time, a medical expert says.

Drugs could lead to dementia, Dr Chris Davis, the director of geriatric medicine at Brisbane's Prince Charles Hospital, said.

"Ageing will catch up with drug users at an earlier age," Dr Davis said today.

"An excess load on the metabolic activities destroy your brain cells and the brain is the one organ which we cannot dive into and fix."

Dr Davis said people needed to think twice before taking anything that altered their mental state.

Yesterday, the Federal Government was told partygoers who popped ecstasy pills could cause an avalanche of future Alzheimer's patients.

Trish Worth, parliamentary secretary to the Health Minister, said many revellers turning to party drugs, such as ecstasy, speed and ice, did not realise the long-term effects such drugs would have on their brain.

Dr Davis said today anything that destroyed or limited brain cells could cause dementia, which includes Alzheimer's disease.

Risky behaviours included drinking to excess, smoking cigarettes and marijuana, sniffing paint and petrol, as well as taking amphetamines.

Forgetfulness and poor judgment were among the first symptoms of Alzheimer's, but the partners, family members and carers of sufferers were often those who were hardest hit, Dr Davis said.

Women had a higher incidence of dementia than men and the incidence was rising exponentially as the population aged, he said.

"Dementia by the year 2017, which is not that far away, is predicted to be the major cause in morbidity (disease) in females of all ages," Dr Davis said.

AAP
http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,6646378%5E1702,00.html

What is with the recent 'findings' such as this that arnt backed up by any medical reports/research what so ever?

Seems more like opinions to me...

coz of my age and excesses i'm gunna get there first... and theyll name this new dimentia after me...

so youre all gunna end up with spgeddi syndrome. haha!!

wonder what itll be?

Oh shit! I've been using most party drugs (sometimes heavily for months/years at a time) for roughly 10 years all up. I first started 16 years ago, went crazy (almost daily,definitely each week on some drug) on illicit drugs + alcohol for 5-6 years. Stopped for a good 4-5 (with a couple sessions here and there every few months of either speed or cid) and came back into the 'scene' about 4 years ago. I recently had my 30th birthday and most people say I look about 20-24 at most. Also I hold a relative mentally demanding job of computer work and it appears I am rather good at what I do. My peers at work are astounded by my memory and the things I can do. So, what the hell am I doing wrong?!?!?!?

Am I scoring the party drugs off the wrong dealers? I'm not getting the 'sik stuff' mate. My god, this is wrong! I've been ripped off!!!

*note, the sarcasm meter is hitting 'FREAKIN' HIGH' volume at the moment*

I love the use of the word "could".

Some studies/research/reports would be nice. And something a bit more deeper than "don't do it because something *could* happen to you but we don't have anything much to back it up with".

To be fair...

There are some people who have smoked a pack of cigarettes a day from age 13, and who live to the age of 95 and die in perfect health from something completely unrelated to smoking. This does not mean that smoking is harmless, while some people may experience no harm as a result, the majority do.

So obviously there are some individuals who are from the deep end of the gene pool, who will withstand all sorts of punishment mentally and physically intact. Despite people like wazza, it could be that the rest of us are lined up for dementia or alzeihmers.

I'll take my chances. ;)

-plaz out-

If you're spending the vast majority of your life speeding your balls off and fighting the little voices in your head, I think its's safe to say your body is as good as aging a little more rapidly. We sleep for a reason you know..
.........I just don't find the reason compelling enough to do so =D

I don't know about others and maybe this is a bit of paranoia but I notice whenever I have a big night that involves speed, my hair tends to grow back quicker over that particular period. I mean it would make sense if amphetamines are accelerating your metabolic system that you hair, nails, skin would all 'grow' faster... wouldn't it? 8(

So what does this mean for kids prescribed stimulants like dexamphetamine etc from childhood and well into adulthood? If you believe this, they should also be dementing by the time they are 30.8( But is anyone recommending we stop given kids dexies?

wazza said:
I recently had my 30th birthday and most people say I look about 20-24 at most.

That wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that you act 8 would it ;)

^^^
Haha

wazza said:
I recently had my 30th birthday and most people say I look about 20-24 at most.

Just imagine what you would look like if you didn't take party drugs. :p

yay for party drugs and yay for uneducated pollies who can spark such controversy with utter bullshit

mmmm, there seems to be a flood of anti-drug propoganda recently doesnt there?

i smell an election.

either that, or the national institute for drugs and alcohol (or whatever our governing body is), is up for a funding review? combine this with the symposium on at the moment and you have lots of newspaper editors filling in pages 6-10 with dodgy stories to sell papers.

call me cynical.

I'm getting very frustrated by this sort of unsubstantiated biased stuff...it seems to be appearing more and more frequently in the Australian media. Isn't there something we can do as a group to respond? Sometimes it seems like these guys can say whatever they like and nobody will argue with them ... maybe if we had some sort of choreographed response from the online drug community, such as 100 or so emails/letters detailing the innacuracies of a given article, every time something like this happens.

I guess the illegality of the drugs makes it hard, but I personally would be happy to get out into the public eye and voice my opinion, even if it meant having to become paranoid and giving up drugs entirely for a period (I guess the cops would be all over you as soon as you made that sort of public statement.)