• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Club Health 2004, Melbourne, Australia 3rd International Conference

johnboy

Bluelight Crew
Club Health 2004, Melbourne, Australia
3rd International Conference on
Nightlife, Substance Use and Related Health Issues

18th -20th April 2004

Club Health 2004 will provide an international forum for debate and exchange of information on nightlife policy and practice.

The key themes of the conference are: emerging trends in recreational drug use, tackling accidents and violence in nightlife settings, controlling alcohol and tobacco use, outreach and nightlife community interventions, emergency planning in nightlife settings and developing nightlife strategies.

The conference will appeal to those working in or researching the fields of: drug, alcohol or tobacco use, nightlife policy development, sexual health, crime reduction, environmental health and tourism as well as individuals and organisations working in bars, clubs or nightlife related industries.

To register for further information on Club Health 2004 please send an e-mail to:

[email protected]

Club Health 2004 is being held in association with the 15th International Conference on the Reduction of Drug Related Harm, Melbourne, Australia, 20th-24th April 2004.

www.clubhealth.org.uk

hmmmm..... sounds interesting, might have to see if some of the codebluers wanna make a RT

Hey JB... In the downloads section of ClubHealth, under Club Health Links.

Why isn't there a bluelight or Erowid link??

Dunno. I guess I'll email em and ask. Hell, I barely knew this org exosted until last week. :)

AIVL's wonderful Nicky B attended the 2002 conf in Italy, as part of a conference tour across europe which took in the IHRC which was held in Lubljana, Slovenia. She found it quite valuable, i believe.
I'll be submitting an abstract for this conf; we should attempt to put the hard word on the organisers to allocate free/ very cheap registrations for dance drug/ raver health activists (particularly where they are volunteers or the org is unfunded - ie. the enlighten elves, codeblue cosmonauts etc)

I believe the IHRC (International Harm Reduction Conference) next year is happening in Melbourne immediately after the Club Health one. And yes I agree there should be subsidised places, if not freebies.

Yep, that's pretty much spot on.

From IHRA website - "The conference will be held in Melbourne, Australia from Tuesday 20th April 2004 to Saturday 24th April 2004. "

www.ihra.net

International user activists organised through the dpfusers egroup will also be holding a major meeting, which i'm assisting in the organisating for (we had been planning for before, but i will raise the club health conference and we may shift to afterwards to ensure involvement of dance drug users) We are currently discussing the nature of this meeting; it may become the founding conference of an international drug user organisation/ network (this is pretty likely actually).

So a huuuge couple of weeks for dance drug users and drug user activists. Get amongst it!

Call for Abstracts and Registration now open for Club Health 2004

Nicky B and I have been invited to deliver a plenary, as part of a "consumer's" panel, along with Matt Southwell from Dance Drugs Alliance UK.
This is the first time dance drug users have had such a space at the conference, and for it we owe much to the work of Nicky.
As an invited speaker the conference is paying ym rego, travel and accommadation, which is very handy as it is likely that I will have left user-org employment by that stage in order to focus my energies on user-activist initiatives.
A couple of things:
1. Nicky and I are keen to do something a bit out of the ordinary for the plenary - something which shows audience members what we experience as clubbers/doofers/ravers; something which goes beyond the delivery of a "paper" (which we have both done more times than we could probably count.) One idea was a multi-media presentation that incorporates some rocken tunes from local tweakers, maybe some animation by Oz-e VJs; even deck the hall out in doof decor by fluro artists. This could be a great opportunity for those making a creative contribution to the scene to expose your work before a national and OS audience of promoters, club owners etc. If you would like to be involved in the presentation on some level, PM me.
2. We'd also like to do some type of "cultural event" ie a rocken party. If you are a promoter in Melbourne, and would like to host an event which demonstrates in pratice some of the principles of "club health" get in touch - a crowd could be pretty much guaranteed.
3. Maybe we could consider doing a couple of fundraising parties or club nights with the proceeds going towards getting oz-e dance drug user-activists down to Melbourne.