• AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

NEWS: The Age 20 Jun 03: Drugs, not money, buying happiness

BigTrancer

Bluelight Crew
Drugs, not money, buying happiness
June 20 2003
By David Wroe
Canberra

More than a quarter of adult Australians depend on pharmaceuticals, alcohol or illicit drugs to cope with life.

This proves, a report by a leading think tank concludes, that our rapidly growing wealth is not making us happy.

The Australia Institute report, based on unpublished Australian Bureau of Statistics figures, said that despite the threefold increase in wealth since the 1950s, mental illness was increasing.

Institute director Clive Hamilton said social problems were being "medicalised" as personal illnesses.

"Social pathologies are interpreted and dealt with as personal disorders. After all, we are supposed to be happy," Dr Hamilton said.

"It is hard to avoid the conclusion that the epidemic of psychological disorders is the price we have had to pay for two decades of economic reform and its relentless promotion of market values."

About 27 per cent of adults surveyed by the bureau said that they "rely on substances to cope with life", Dr Hamilton said.

Almost 29 per cent of women and 25 per cent of men relied on a substance, with women more likely to take medication but men more often using alcohol.

Victorians were less likely to turn to alcohol than people from NSW and Queensland.

Dr Hamilton said the figures were in conflict with Australia's image of itself as a carefree, friendly nation.

Mental Health Council of Australia chief executive Grace Groom said the report had good aspects, but there was a danger in putting antidepressant medications in the same category as alcohol and illicit drugs.

"People should not be afraid to take antidepressants when they are prescribed by a doctor," she said. Dr Groom said that people taking medication may infer from the report that they are deficient or weak. "That's a really dangerous message."

She dismissed the claim that mental illness was a medicalisation of social problems caused by the pursuit of wealth. She called the contention bizarre.

However, she praised the report for highlighting the frightening rate at which people were trying to self-medicate rather than seeking proper help.

Australian Drug Foundation chief executive Bill Stronach said that he largely agreed with Dr Hamilton's argument, but he said that people took drugs for a range of reasons.

"Some people are very happy and have their lives together, and still use substances," he said. "But I think his thesis about materialism and wellbeing is pretty valid. One of the issues facing us is the breakdown of community and the lack of connectedness."

It is estimated that one in five Australians will suffer from a mental illness in their lives.

From: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/06/19/1055828435461.html

BigTrancer :)

i thought nearly half of all perscriptions written out by doctors in this country were for anti-depressants..

Heaven forbid the new generation find something other than unadulterated capitalistic mass-consumption of good and services to bring a bit of flavour to our lives.
In this day and age, spending money has become both a means and an end, I guess anything that threatens this pattern of behaviour threatens our system.
Break the system down!! =D

I reckon its because this world is ruled by the social issues such as class, appearance, wealth, popularity, the desire to succeed etc - all these issues that have been increasingly overwhelming in peoples lives since the sixties. The modern person doesn't necessarily need to cope with the stress of life. With so many ways to entertain yourself, lose yourself, zone out, over-stimulate yourself, why bother confronting some things? I reckon the majority of drug use is associated with escaping from the norm. Both escape and norm can have many different meanings here.

Basically, there are so many 'easy solutions' around today provided by both legal and illegal drugs, its no wonder people are turning to them!

Australia might be becoming a wealthier nation, but that does not mean that every citizen is well off, some are actually worse off than ten years ago.

Considering that tertiary education is becoming more expensive, social services have been cut, full time employment is disappearing and being replaced with casual work, housing is more expensive, etc. A lot of people are working more for less and have to find respite somehow. Usually after a shitty day at work I''m over the road to the bottleshop for a bottle of plonk, so I can see where tis is all coming from and where it is all heading.