Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

alcahol & antibiotics

Cumminz

Bluelighter
is it safe to drink alcahol while on antibiotics? , evan if it's just a few beers?

No way, it can get very messy!!! i did it once and have never been sicker.

spewen, i cant drink for two weeks and i'll have to play taxi for all my mates =(

anyone know the health reasons in not mixing alochol with antibiotics?

thanks

:\

It depends what type your taking, a common antibiotic is amoxicillin, there is no problem having a few beers with this.
if it isnt just ring a pharmacy and ask

Be aware that alcohol kills the positive effects of the antibiotic, so if you drink, try and drink well after, or before your dose.

Yeah, mixing grog with antibiotics won't kill you by some violent chemical reaction or anything, but the antibiotics basically won't work or at least won't be as effective. And I assume you're taking antibiotics to get better, which wouldn't happen if you had a few drinks.

From GPnotebook.co.uk

antibiotics and alcohol consumption

There is a generally held belief that alcohol should not be consumed while on a course of oral antibiotics. This advice is correct if a patient is taking metronidazole, cephamandole (may cause a disulfiram-like reaction), and possibly oral ketoconazole (may cause facial flushing). However there is no contraindication to the consumption of alcohol with other antibiotics.

reference

Drugs and Therapeutics Bulletin (1996), Drugs and alcohol: harmful cocktails?, 34 (5), 36-8.

Penwarden J, Raynor DK (1996), Can I drink alcohol with this? Pharmacy in Practice, 6, 111.

http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/cache/-946208714.htm

BigTrancer :)