View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Hawaiian Baby Woodrose preparation

mashmetaller

Bluelighter
I have a couple of questions about how to prepare Hawaiian Baby Woodrose seeds to get the maximum effect for the minimum nausea.

1) I found this recipy on Erowid:
I believe that sublingual absorption allows me to experience the very pleasant intoxicating effects of HBWR without the nausea. I simply take my normal dose and add half that amount (eg: if I normally take 6 seeds swallowed, I use 9 for this method). I Grind the seeds as finely as possible, almost to a powderlike consistency. Then add a teaspoon of water, and a teaspoon or more of juice. Wait 5 minutes. Pour into mouth (including all the seed grit). DON'T SWALLOW any of it. Swirl the mush with the tongue every once in awhile. Hold for 15-30 minutes. Spit out. Go lie down, relax, have a good time.

Has anyone else tried this? Does it sounds reasonable?

2) Is it worth scraping off the outer "fuzzy" bit? Some people say yes, others say no. If there is any doubt, I'll do it anyways, but will this decrease the potency of the trip?

Cheers.

Again, the outer coating is inert (it does nothing good or bad). I don't care what you read at erowid or some vendor's site. The information is wrong and the seed coating is inert. After vast journal searches, I have yet to find any that says dangerous or cyanogenic compounds had ever been isolated in this seedcoat. This is one urban mythin that has really gotten aroound. Scraping the seed coating amounts to nothing more than a waste of time.

I have no experience with sublingual absorbtion. I've chewed the seeds and they taste nasty. I would not recommend holding it in your mouth but it's your trip.

The thing is they taste like wood mixed with piss, not pleasant at all. I think you are better off just eating them. If you eat them on an empty (or nearly empty) stomach the effects will be increased greatly vs. if you just ate
I heard that some HBWS vendors put some kind of poisonous outer coating on the seeds to keep people form ingesting them for the LSA, as in they sprayed a chemical on the seeds.

^^^^^

I highly doubt that, as eating the seeds as a psychedelic is the only use (commercial or otherwise) the seeds have. HBWR seed vendors are not likely to poison the only consumers of their product. Doesn't make sense to me. Where did you hear this?

A guy I knew owned a business selling various psychoactive legal drugs including HBWS. He said that some major vendors of HBWS spray it with some chemical to try and sway people away from using the seeds for psychedelic purposes. I'm not saying it's true, but he knew what he was talking about when it came to those types of things.

Well if it's true, it makes no sense. The seeds are useless to grow outside of a tropical climate. I'd say 99.9% of the purchasers buy them to eat. But I don't know either way, I'm not in the seed distribution business. There are places in Hawaii (3 I know of) that grow all their own entheogenic plants including the baby woodrose and I know the don't spray their stuff. Perhaps perspective woodrose seed growers should look to Hawaiian vendors.

Morning Glory

I think you may be thinking about Morning Glory seeds. It is well-known that some vendors of Morning Glory seeds spray a noxious substance on the seeds to prevent inappropriate use of the seeds. I have heard that the Morning Glory seeds that WalMart sells have been sprayed but I don't know if there's any truth to this; in my local WalMart there are Morning Glory seeds from various vendors so I don't know if any or all of these vendors had sprayed the seeds. In any case, I would simply purchase them from an entheogenic provider just to be sure. It seems plausible that HBWR seeds could also be sprayed but they don't seem to be as readily available and are usually only available from entheogenic suppliers.

morninggloryseed said:
Well if it's true, it makes no sense. The seeds are useless to grow outside of a tropical climate. I'd say 99.9% of the purchasers buy them to eat. But I don't know either way, I'm not in the seed distribution business. There are places in Hawaii (3 I know of) that grow all their own entheogenic plants including the baby woodrose and I know the don't spray their stuff. Perhaps perspective woodrose seed growers should look to Hawaiian vendors.

I've been reading quite a bit about HBWR seeds recently, and apparently if you buy them from a "plant" shop they may well be sprayed, but from a headshop they will not.

I've never in my life heard of baby woodrose seeds being sold in a plant shop. I don't see why they would. The seeds only grow in a tropical enviornment.

there are lots of plants that require specific enviroments to grow in, and lots of gardeners who enjoy trying to recreate these enviroments in order to try and grow these plants outside their natural habitat.

although i havent bought seeds directly from hawaii before, i know of several venders from asia/tahiti that do have a coating on their seeds that they reccommend not be injested

Until someone produces a journal artical that shows what toxins have been isolated from the seed-coating of woodrose seed, I'm going to believe my own experience and research over the word of some guy in Tahiti.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the original question about alternate means of preperation and not a debate on the shells? I'm kinda interested myself as I might like to try them so if we could get back on topic that would be great, thanks......

discussion of the seed coating's effect is kind of actually instrumental to discussion of the actual preparation of the seeds... probably 3/4 of the time spent preparing them is devoted to scraping the bastards' coating off...if it turns out you don't have to well that's a pretty big change in terms of preparation TIME at least

my experience is that they work great if you chew and swallow them. making tea seems to take something out of it and an extraction i think is too much work for not much difference in effect... if the taste bothers you that much, i'd say put 'em in some squooshy food or vegicaps... if you get too much stomach churn i say smoke some reefer...

go for it

i always thought these babies were all about making sure you knew you're a throbbing sort of thing full of blood and organs that's going to die someday

I suggest you just eat them and dont mess around with any sorts of preparation to reduce nausea. I had no problems, but then again I have the iron gullet that has never given in to dxm, HBWR seeds, or various other psychs. In fact I eat a little before I take most nauseating psychs because it settles my stomach a little. anyway

they tasted kinda peanutty to me at first, but after you swallow a couple you realize how bad the after taste is. Make sure to have some water to get the lil pieces out from between your teeth.

eating fresh ginger helps your stomach. taking a low dose (<10) the stomach upset isn't too bad. But i've found on higher doses that if you dont take anything for your stomach such as an anti-nausia pill its near on unbearable.

Last edited:
yeah a sublingual technique i suggest is really just an addition to the normal eating method. When you put them in your mouth, put them under your tongue, dunno if it works on the sublingual part, but i can tell ya that you wont taste them down there. When you've had them sitting long enough to make the maleable, chew them and swallow. As always take precautions, don't take them right after eating, and have something on hand to take for the nausea. Dramamine can be good.

Subligual Woodrose is the way to go

Yes I do have experience with this method, and it works. In fact it works so well that I will never swallow another HBWR seed again.

I estimate you lose about 20-30% potency, but its well worth it with the lack of nausea and cramps. You don't need to add any water or juice in your mouth, in fact you will probably have enough trouble holding all the saliva that collects in your mouth for 25 minutes.

But yes, it works. And you start tripping quicker too.

HBWR

I have experience with HBWR seeds.... mmmm.. PUKE!... well, really, i got seeds from a vendor and found that 8 were quite strong, and tried doses ranging from 6-11. I puked just about every time... until i boiled about 10 in water with ginger(a lot of whole ginger) and cloves. It was less potent, but the nausea was minimal. Scraping off the outside doesn't help much, but i like the ritual. The chemical that causes nausea is inherent in the seeds, and is similar to the chemical in apple seeds. If you're lucky, you won't puke... but it can be fun.

My approach to this would be to keep that "coat-scrapin'-fun" myth alive ... there's nothing more powerful in this world than placebo.

If you think you're not going to get sick now that you tried this great method you hear from a FOAF, chances are you aren't going to feel it as much.
Yeah but the saliva solution sounds great too: I think I'll do that.
No need to swallow them? 25 mins of holding them in there is enough, right? Does this work for Morning Glories as well? So many questions on my mind right now ...

2 days ago I consumed 40 hbwr ( a few at a time over the course of several hours) and 8 grams or so Amanita Muscaria ( all at once after the seeds did nothing). My friends finished off the ounce. (28grams nothing happened) they had absoloutely no effects whatsoever. My friend took about 50 he said he felt like he ate sunflower seeds (NOTHING happened). I had bought 200 (it came with over 230) $40 and they were completely useless seeds. They did however look just like the pictures on the internet of hbwr. The morning after I took the remaining 130 or so (figuring this could by no means fail!) all within 20 minutes (NO JOKE!). first I chewed 80 ( I gagged several times) then the remaining 50 (gagged even worse because the taste was overwhelming). In small quantities I don't think they tasted all that bad. But you guessed it.. NOTHING AT ALL HAPPENED. I don't get it. I emailed this guy from the website hopefully he'll compensate me somehow. (kinda doubt it) But what the hell happened? Everyone else says they take ten and walla.. they are tripin like no other. They must not have had much if any LSA in them.. or maybe they weren't even real (Hawaiian) b w r. anyways.. I'm not happy about this, but who would be?

edited out the seed source, none of that on bluelight - atlas

Last edited by a moderator: