PDA

View Full Version : (film) Twin Peaks

Pages : [1] 2 3

Finder
10-06-2003, 20:34
I was just turned onto this show when a friend gave me a copy of season one on DVD for my birthday. I've been a David Lynch fan for a while, but managed to avoid watching this show for some reason. No searches came up, so I thought this show deserved its own thread. I honestly can't believe it was on TV, and ABC of all channels...Now that ABC is owned by Disney, I doubt this show would have ever seen the light of day.

The show is great...there's the odd, soap-opera sense of humor with these totally creepy undertones. I watched the entire first season, which seemed somewhat normal, so last night we rented a bunch more episodes due to the crack-like effect of the show (and season 2 and 3 not available on DVD--WTF is that about? :X)--I think I've seen through episode 9. Season two (Episode 8 ) starts off absolutely insane, especially the last scene with "Bob." :o

I just purchased the Pilot DVD off of Amazon, so I'm excited to watch that...and then I have quite a few more episodes before I'll make it to the end of the show. After that I think I'll give Fire Walk With Me a shot, as it's a prequel to everything. My friend that got me into the show said that you find out who the killer is in a couple more episodes...although I'm pretty sure I have it figured out. :)

Anyone have any thoughts on the show? If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it, especially if you enjoyed any of Lynch's other films (I particularly like Mulholland Drive and Blue Velvet). Please try to keep spoilers well marked as I haven't finished watching all the episodes.

alasdairm
11-06-2003, 01:03
i watched twin peaks back in 1991 (or thereabouts) when it was on UK TV on tuesday nights. i didn't miss a single episode.

i have the VHS box set and i've watched the entire thing again 3 times.

it is, in my opinion, one of the most wonderful works ever made. the writing, the acting, the direction - everything combines in such a way that the whole is so much greater than the sum of the parts.

it's a long, weird, wonderful masterpiece.

alasdair

Big boy
11-06-2003, 05:02
I also avoided watching it, but i think in might take a look now.

Gamecat
11-06-2003, 06:23
I used to watch it religiously. Well they ran the first season once, and hardly anyone watched it, so for some reason they decided to start it over again, and this time TONS of people (including myself) watched it.

I own the DVD. I want a copy of the Pilot, and everday I pray that the next season will come out on dvd.

karmacoma
11-06-2003, 13:40
Damn fine coffee... er, series!

cydonorb
11-06-2003, 15:00
I was a Peaksfreak & never missed an episode. The trouble with the show began when Lynch caved to pressure from ABC to resolve the Laura Palmer murder in a concrete way. His original concept was that Bob would be a force that hung over Twin Peaks & the second & all subsequent seasons would be the battle between the White Lodge (the Bookhouse Boys) versus Bob. Instead we get the Laura Palmer murder resolved & instead of Bob we ended up getting the silly Windham Earle battling the populace of Twin Peaks.

The other thing that Lynch caved on was the structure. He originally conceived TWIN PEAKS to be 10 one hour episodes each season. ABC at first agreed then balked & demanded the standard (at that time) 20 episodes. There was just no way to consisantly keep up the quality at that rate & I think the later episodes were pretty thin by the show's standards. Remember the whole deal with the weasle that escaped during the fashion show at the hotel? Or the dopey relationship between Cooper & Annie? Sure these episodes are still WAY better than most network TV but by the standards of season one of TWIN PEAKS they fall way short.

The place that TWIN PEAKS really belonged on was HBo or Showtime. Can you imagine just how truly spectacular the series could've been on one of those venues?

There still is some hope for Lynch on premium cable. MULHOLLAND DRIVE was conceived as a series (again for ABC). The events in the feature film were the pilot (which Lynch fleshed out for theatrical release). The Diane Selwyn/Betty & Camilla Rhodes/Rita storyline was to be tied up during the pilot & first episode & subsequent episodes were to center on the periphery characters (the pimp, the detectives, Coco). I have head rumors that Showtime is trying to woo Lynch to produce a MULHOLLAND DRIVE series. Keep your finfers crossed.

Finder
11-06-2003, 19:59
Originally posted by cydonorb
I have head rumors that Showtime is trying to woo Lynch to produce a MULHOLLAND DRIVE series. Keep your finfers crossed.

That would be awesome! I was wondering about that, as Mulholland seems to be a bit Twin Peaks-esque in a murder mystery, TV show kinda way. I think Mulholland Drive is his best work to date. And I agree that Twin Peaks would have prospered more in an HBO setting without restrictions on certain things, still, Lynch seems like he pushed the envelope using a lot of taboo stuff on TV--I still have a hard time believing the show was on network television. Hehe...roping people in during the first season and the getting all weird on them.

I think the thing that impresses me the most about the show, is how Lynch focuses your attention very specifically...I have a hard time looking at a scene as a whole because he's forcing you to look at a particular thing--very cool.

As a side note, watching Twin Peaks makes me crave coffee, pie, and cigarettes. 8(

alasdairm
11-06-2003, 22:18
i went to seattle a while ago and made my friend take me to the sites used to film the exterior shots of the great northern and the actual double r diner used in the pilot episode. i had, of course, coffee and cherry pie.

http://www.alasdairmanson.org/bluelight/gn.jpg

alasdair

Finder
11-06-2003, 23:20
How was the coffee and cherry pie?

alasdairm
12-06-2003, 00:09
you know...

alasdair

Finder
12-06-2003, 01:30
I guess I would have to assume it was damn good.

alasdairm
12-06-2003, 02:18
damn fine. black as midnight on a moonless night...

alasdair

Finder
12-06-2003, 06:28
I just saw the episode where you find out who killed Laura.

8o

I was close...and I had suspected the actual one for some time, but got thrown off. Lynch is a tricky guy. I honestly can't believe that was on network TV!

alasdairm
12-06-2003, 07:25
Originally posted by Finder
Lynch is a tricky guy.

no shit! :)

the great thing about twin peaks is that even thought this central mystery is solved, there is so much great material to come and wonderful ideas to be explored in the series...

alasdair

Finder
12-06-2003, 17:40
I hope so...there are 13 or 14 more episodes left and I can't help but feel Lynch shot his load with this last episode.

cydonorb
12-06-2003, 18:29
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

he kinda did. Don't get me wrong, the remaining episodes are still a lot of fun but they are nowhere near the brilliance of the pilot & first 10 episodes

alasdairm
12-06-2003, 22:03
^ i'm inclined to disagree. they're not better or worse, they're just very different.

alasdair

Finder
12-06-2003, 23:41
It seems as though the X-Files got a lot of inspiration from Twin Peaks. I'd bet Chris Carter is a fan...

What do you guys think?

alasdairm
13-06-2003, 01:08
^ you are in for a treat. there is an X-Files/Twin Peaks crossover coming up for you soon if you keep watching.

i won't spoil it - i've been annoyingly coy enough already... ;)

alasdair

cydonorb
13-06-2003, 14:48
It seems as though the X-Files got a lot of inspiration from Twin Peaks. I'd bet Chris Carter is a fan...

What do you guys think?

I think that at its best, THE X FILES was a second rate & dumbed down TWIN PEAKS rip off.

Finder
13-06-2003, 19:36
I tend to agree that the X-Files ripped Twin Peaks off quite a bit now that I've seen TP...but I have to admit that there were quite a few seasons of the X-Files that I really enjoyed (early on, of course...the last few seasons were garbage). There's only one David Lynch...so what can you really expect?

Big boy
16-06-2003, 07:17
Is the first episode when they find the dead girl and the introduce the strange FBI agent?

I'm downloading all the episodes but i don't want to start in the middle of the seriese.

Finder
16-06-2003, 07:19
Yep, that's right. But actually, I think it's the second episode, technically. There's a two hour pilot, so you may want to look for that too.

Finder
16-06-2003, 17:22
And, Big Boy, you'd probably be better off renting them. Hollywood Video has them for $1 per tape.

vegan
26-06-2003, 04:03
mulholland drive was supposed to be a series at first, that was lynch's plan. but whoever put the money in it eventually asked for a movie instead.

XiolaBleu
26-06-2003, 04:43
http://www.twinpeaksfest.com/

Twin Peaks first came out when I was about 6... I watched it with my mum than. Maybe that's why I'm such a fanatic now. I save my Tweede's Cafe (r&r diner) pen and matches like they are sacred artifacts. God I'm a dork.

KidChameleon
30-06-2003, 17:18
once they said who killed laura palmer, everything went horribly downhill.

*however, the episode when agent cooper and harry s truman go on a starsky & hutch like inflitration of a oriental decorated mansion remains one of the greatest things ive ever seen.

alasdairm
30-06-2003, 20:55
Originally posted by KidChameleon
once they said who killed laura palmer, everything went horribly downhill.

once they said who killed laura palmer, everything went quite weird, wonderful and brilliantly lynch :)

alasdair

cydonorb
09-07-2003, 19:36
Last week I received my order of the import DVD of the Pilot along with the regular domestic box set of Season One. Amazon is packaging them together for $60 (with delivery). For some wacky legal reason the pilot is only available via Japanese import whereas the box sets of seasons 1 & 2 are available domestically.

Anyhow the resolution on the pilot disc is just OK & the sound is muddy in some parts, but otherwise its great to have & makes you really appreciate the remastering job that was done once you get to the season one box set. I'm pretty sure that Season one ends with the resolution to Laura Palmer's murder which is about all I really want.

Finder
09-07-2003, 19:41
You're in for disappointment. Season 1 is only seven episodes and Cooper doesn't resolve Laura's murder until episode 17 (and my god what an episode that was). I've been renting the VHS tapes in order to complete the series as Seasons 2 and 3 aren't available for purchase on DVD. I did however get the imported pilot which was very good, although the menu was pretty janky.

I hear Season 2 is slated for domestic release on DVD next year.

cydonorb
09-07-2003, 21:30
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Jeez! It always seems that the fans of this show get crapped on, doesn't it! First ABC moved the show around a few times so it was hard to find, then Bravo ran it severly edited (!) & now the rest of the series is elusive to DVD hounds. I checked Artisan's website & there are no plans to release anything other than what they have. If they were planning any release in the near future it would be on their site (they're already hyping things that are out on 2004).

Finder
09-07-2003, 21:37
Yeah, it's bullshit. And it looks even worse...

From the Twin Peaks Gazette (www.twinpeaksgazette.com/tp):

As some of you may know, the Seattle Times had a blurb recently indicating that Artisan had lost their rights to Twin Peaks Season 2. I don't know about the exact contractual issues going on with season 2 or when the series will be out on DVD, but I have been told that the paper is wrong. I'm still digging around to see if I can find more information on what is going on.

So, apparently Season 2 being released on DVD at all is up in the air. According to the Seattle Times (link available from the website above) Artisan doesn't even know who posesses the rights to the show.

alasdairm
09-07-2003, 22:28
Artisan doesn't even know who posesses the rights to the show.

i bet if we started selling bootleg VCDs of the show, we'd soon find out :)

alasdair

Finder
09-07-2003, 22:35
Heh...I'm sure you're right. It royally pisses me off that such a great show is being kept down due to red tape. There are tons of people who are missing out on this show and never got a chance to see it the first time around because they were too young.

Finder
13-07-2003, 03:53
So I just finished the last episode tonight...

David Lynch is a bastard.

alasdairm
13-07-2003, 23:19
yep - but a wonderful, talented bastard.

when i saw the last episode first time i thought "how the fuck could he do that to us" then i realised that it was, to some extent, a ballsy move. after hours and hours and hours of amazing entertainment, i'm not going to complain about the last 30 seconds :)

did you enjoy the appearance by a certain x-filer? :)

alasdair

MOS
14-07-2003, 01:45
Aw yeah! X-Filer's in drag makes my day!

We have the entire Twin Peaks collection on VHS - they have been watched so many times that the quality of the tapes is really going downhill. Too bad about the DVDs :(

Finder
14-07-2003, 02:18
I enjoyed the last episode quite a bit. I'm sure he knew he was getting canceled, so he tried to tie up some loose ends. He could have kept the show going and if the show would have continued, I doubt he would've given away the newest BOB infectee so quickly. It's a shame really, I bet the new BOB would've made for some very interesting shit. Scary.

After seeing the post-Laura Palmer muder episodes, I definitely see how the X-Files is a Twin peaks ripoff (but, hey, I still enjoyed it). And seeing a character form the X-Files in Twin Peaks was fuckin' classic. :D

PS. How's Annie? How's Annie? How's Annie? How's Annie? How's Annie? How's Annie? How's Annie? How's Annie? How's Annie? How's Annie? How's Annie? How's Annie? How's Annie?

Finder
17-09-2003, 20:36
Bumping for RadarLove...if I remember right he was a fan of the show. :D

RadarLove
19-09-2003, 12:11
Finder, you're a God among men. =)

For those of you out there who are interested and talking about how X-Files ripped off Twin Peaks, I have some interesting info for you. Twin Peaks, as we all know, was filmed in Washington State. The X-Files was filmed in Vancouver, and both series used the same pools of actors. Heres a list of who's appeared in both series:

David Duchovny (the most obvious) as Fox Mulder in XF, and Agent Denise/Dennis Bryson in TP

Claire Stransfield as the Jersey Devil in the episode "Jersey Devil" in XF, and as Sid the law clerk in TP

Jan D'arcy as the judge in "Squeeze", and as Sylvia Thorne in TP

Micheal Horse as Officer Tsanky in "Shapes", and as Deputy Hawk on TP

Michael Anderson as Mr. Nutt in "Humbug" (my fav XF episode), and as the Man From Another Place (my fav character in TP) =)

Don Davis as Captain William Scully (Dana Scully's dad), and as Major Briggs in TP (what's with him in millitary roles?)

Francis Bay as Dorothy in the episode "Excelsius Dei" and as Mrs. Tremmond in TP...and oh yeah, she was also Happy Gilmore's grandma =P

Kenneth Welsh as Simon Gates in "Revelations", and as Windom Earle in TP...i also think he was on BtVS

And Richard Beymer played Ben Horne on TP, but I don't remember who he played in the XF episode "Sanguinarium".

Don't even get me started on the David Lynch movie crossover list.

I have a wealth of other interesting Twin Peaks info, if anyone's interested, like "Why the hell do we keep seeing traffic lights and what do they mean?"

alasdairm
19-09-2003, 13:23
why the hell do we keep seeing traffic lights and what do they mean?

alasdair

RadarLove
19-09-2003, 13:39
The running theory for the traffic lights, and I've examined this closely and it really seems to match up, is this...the light changes depending on James Hurley's emotional state. And James is the suckeyest little suck that's ever sucked, so they change often. Red for when he's angry, green for when he's at peace with the world, and yellow for when he's depressed or in some other emotional state.

Oh, and red, yellow, or green for when he sucks.

Finder
19-09-2003, 17:29
Originally posted by RadarLove
And James is the suckeyest little suck that's ever sucked, so they change often.

Bwahahaha. My friends and I agreed that James needed a good punch in the face. Talk about the most whiney bitch-boy around. How the hell did he get so much play? 8(

alasdairm
19-09-2003, 19:46
indeed. the only thing in twin peaks that made me cringe was james and donna's love song which, for a time, became their signature tune whenever they got mushy...

alasdair

Finder
19-09-2003, 20:49
^I about pissed my pants laughing when Donna, Maddy, and James were recording that "song." :D

RadarLove
19-09-2003, 21:18
They all wanted him because of the motorcycle and the bomber jacket. Twin Peaks is a small town so they take what they can get.

So basically, if you want to get laid in Twin Peaks, even if you have Down's, buy yourself a bomber jacket and a motorcycle.

Oh, I've decided to go as Gordon Cole for Halloween this year. =)

XiolaBleu
22-09-2003, 01:01
That brought a glorious tear to my eye.

ez_555
01-08-2004, 10:59
I just finished watching the whole 30 or so hours of Twin Peaks and thought it was fucking brilliant! Never before have I experienced such a top quality series- and I really can't believe it was on TV!

How did everyone feel about Annie and Agent Cooper? He's such a gun, and I think that they couldn't have found anyone that would've suited him better... but for some reason I just didn't want to see him go there. It just felt wrong watching him in passionate moments and falling in love.

Man... I'm going to have to watch that last episode again... very trippy stuff.

L2R
01-08-2004, 12:13
For the love of everything good in the universe and everything else let this petition succeed. (http://www.petitiononline.com/tpdvdnow/petition.html)

Finder
17-03-2005, 05:36
TP fans, we may be in luck (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2873).

Twin Peaks - 2nd Season DVDs To Get New Video Transfers
Posted by David Lambert
2/05/2005

In our last Twin Peaks news item (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2707), we passed along information about how Lancelot Narayan, one of the industry's leading producers of DVD bonus material, had been engaged by Paramount to work on extras for the studio's upcoming release of Twin Peaks - Season 2. That was some great news, and we know we're going to get a great product out of Paramount for this highly anticipated release.

But not everybody was so sure. In that previous story, we found ourselves mentioning bad rumors on the 'net that claimed the stuidio had no interest in taking the time to remaster the the 2nd season's negatives in the same fashion as Artisan remastered the very-well-received first season. Our response at the time was: "Our take on this right now is that this is unsubstantiated...We find it hard to believe that they will fail to bring this in at their usual well-done standards. " Well, it looks like we were correct to keep the faith!

Dugpa.com (http://www.dugpa.com/), a leading website for information about David Lynch and his works, had the following statement in regard to these rumors:

February 3rd 2005
New Transfers for Twin Peaks Season 2 ?!!!
I have just received information today that has confirmed that Paramount has decided to go with new video transfers for Twin Peaks: Season 2 DVD set. It appears that the information I had received from Paramount Germany was old information, as they had planned on releasing the Series on their own shortly after their release of Season 1 on DVD. Now that Paramount is doing a worldwide release, all territories under the Paramount branch will be using the same transfers for the Season 2 box set. Great news indeed!!! Now we'll just have to wait and see if the new transfer is up to the same quality as the Season 1 set.

So that's that. Dugpa.com also has a new story posted yesterday that mentions that a new documentary based on the film Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is in the works, and they ask for help from readers who may have materials that could be used in it. Look over there for details about that. And stay tuned to TVShowsOnDVD for all the info about Twin Peaks - Season 2. We'll bring that info to you just as soon as we possibly can!