• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Caught - court - conviction? Examples needed.

Lockyer

Bluelighter
(Before posting this question, I did an extensive search of BL and found many interesting threads, but not a lot of info in regards to this particular question.)

I have a small-time dealer friend who, more and more each day, appears to have forgotten that the drugs he runs around with are illegal. I try to use scare-tactics to get him to either stop, or at least be a little more careful in his dealings, but he thinks he is invincible and even seems to think that if he gets caught with 80-100 pills, he won't go to jail as it will be a first offence.

I try to tell him he's kidding himself but its hard to get through to him as I don't really have any facts to back it up - neither of us know or have heard of anyone who've been busted.

Anyway, this is what I'm after - true cases where you or someone you know has been busted with illicit substances and the sentences you or they were handed down. I would like the following relevant info (feel free to add if I've missed anything).

1. State in which case heard (apparently harshness of sentences varies greatly state to state, or so I hear).

2. Charges faced (with numbers, weights included if possible).

3. Circumstances surrounding your unlucky bust (how much of what were you caught with, were you doing anything silly at the time, were you wasted, dealing to strangers, phone tapped - any and all information you care to share).

4. Legal aid, high-priced lawyer, QC or defended self (and your thoughts and advice on the path you or your friend chose).

5. Horror stories from those of you unlucky enough to have spent time in our correctional centres (nothing too gory pls - I just need some stuff to scare the crap out of him with).

I've probably missed some relevant questions - add anything you think is important.

(I hope this isn't off-topic - it's certainly harm minimisation if it stops my friend from continuing on as he is. I'm not anti-drug, I just don't want to see anyone I know get locked up.)

Some of these threads might be of assistance:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82383
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82425
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56953

And here's one report I could lay my hands on quickly:

William - Bluelighter posted:

Topic: My friends sentance. 24-03-2002 15:24

A friend of mine was pulled over and arrested carrying 30 mdxx pills, 1 8 ball of amphetimes and also 1 ounce of pot.
This happened about 8 months ago now, and after so many court appearences he finally has been sentanced.
He recieved a 2 year suspended sentance, his lawyer bills by his accounts were $10,000 im not sure if he was fined as that never came up.
Just thought you guys might be curious as to the sentances and penalities real people are getting.

From: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=55641

Hope that helps,

BigTrancer :)

have a look/search for your area's court reports and it will give you ideas of the sentences and etc etc ;)

Urbanhog %)

Some very interesting reading, thanks Aesops.

A drug offence was the most serious offence recorded for 2,227 (10.3%) persons in Australian prisons on 30 June 2000. Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics 2001, Prisoners in Australia, 2000, Cat. no. 4517.0, ABS, Canberra.

I was surprised with the above figure - a lot higher than I would have thought. Probably not as high as the US equivalent though, I would imagine.

A friend of mine got busted with 3 pills when the door guard searched his bag at an event in canberra. After seeing a lawyer he ended up defending himself in court, and was convicted with no sentance. He had one prior incident with the police in another state.

If your friend gets done with 80 to 100 pills on him, it wont matter if he has a completely clean record and gets the best lawyer money can buy, he WILL get convicted of of possession with intent to supply. The intent changes it from a summary offence (max 2 years) to indictable offence (max 20 years). A good lawyer might get it reduced or suspended, but then you have to live with a drug trafficing conviction for the rest of your life.

Exactly - it's not just the jail time you'd have to worry about. Planning on going overseas? Forget it if you've got a conviction. There are so many things that having a criminal conviction make it hard or impossible to do. Although apparantly it doesn't stop you becoming President of the USA... ;)

Ok. a mate of mine got pulled over on a motocycle about 6 - 8 months ago and was carrying 3 pills and about an ozz of weed. now he is looking at up to 4-5 years in prison.

All i can say is if you do get caught , there is only one thing you can say..... "Am i being charged with a felony? (if they say yes.) I am not speaking to you till ive talked to my lawyer." DO NOT SAY ANYTHING OTHER THEN THAT. because if you dont claim ownership of and knowlege of anything illegal on your persons they cant prove a thing therefor they cant charge you with anything.

So happy selling you IDIOTS!!! hehe j/k

^ I'm pretty sure that you must identify yourself (give the police your name) when questioned, other than that, you have the right to remain silent.

Just posting that in Victoria a guy recently busted with 50 mdxx pills, 10 grams of K and not sure if anything else was on the person was fined without conviction and sentenced to community work. So it all really depends on each case I guess and make sure you get the best lawyer that you can afford...

Well he was bloody lucky. I know of a case that the guy got caught with that much, although there were phone records, etc going against him.

He'd spending the next 18 months in prison.

Done... can you believe the import to vBulletin killed every single [/quote] tag and every Locked post flag? Nightmare.

PS: That Alphaline info is also in the Main Forum FAQ. :)

Sentencing in the Courts is EXTREMELY subjective.

Thus it is impossible to say with any certainty whether someone with 80-100 pills will go to prison. Personally for that many, there would need be EXCEPTIONAL circumstances to keep you out of prison.

I can only talk from a WA perspective but the following may be useful: (I realise this individual may no longer require this info but since it was bumped by none other than BT its deemed relevant).

AMOUNTS

The quantity is simply determined by weighing the pills - not the amount of MDMA they contain. A purity will then be quoted also. Thus you may be caught with 10 pills weighing a total of 3grams at 40% MDMA purity.

2grams raises the PRESUMPTION that you possess with the intent to sell or supply. If you have over this amount you must then have a pretty convincing argument that you possessed them for your own use. Multiple baggies, sharing pills with others etc is a nail in your coffin.
The number of people who apparently admit to having a few to "share" with friends is FRIGHTENING. Once you do that you are gone for intent to sell/supply --> indictable offence in the District Court with potential gaol time; rather than a summary conviction in the petty sessions court with maybe a FINE!!

An interesting excuse that one could try is based upon the decision of now High Court Justice Michael Kirby. In Liberti v The Queen he held that a person RETURNING the drugs to their original owner, is NOT guilty of supply. Thus if anyone was ever caught handing out that pill to a friend at an event, it is certainly possible that you could attempt an argument that they owned it and you were merely holding it. The case is 12 years old however, and I do not advise people to get in that position in the first place, so as to test if it is still good law.

Drug Trafficking

28grams is the MAGIC number - over this amount the court AUTOMATICALLY declares you a drug trafficker. Thus for MDMA pills its likely to be anywhere from 80-120 depending on their mass.
Once this declaration is made you are pretty much fucked. The ramifications of this extend far beyond a gaol sentence. In WA you would stand to lose everything you owned. Or at least assets will be frozen and you must prove legitimate ownership --> not always easy.
Yes WA's Criminal Property Confiscation Act is the toughest in the land but other states have similar and do not rule them out adopting such a regime in the future.

As you can see this is a tragic thing - young people exposed to ecstasy often wind up dealing. This can then escalate to 10s to eventually 100 packs. This amount alone renders that young person a drug trafficker. These are not bikies or organised criminals (as the phrase "drug trafficker" may indicate) but people as young as 18-20 who lose what little they probably own and for the rest of their life have a phrase attached to them that arguably should only be pinned on the big boys.

PENALTIES

I am not going to attempt to outline the penalties imposed - 80 pills is likely to attract gaol - the amount will be subjective. A suspended sentence may be permitted in very exceptional circumstances.

In the Darwell decision of the WA Court of Criminal Appeal, the justices held that it was now time to FIRM up sentences for amphetamines so they are around those generally reserved for cocaine and heroin only. This was around 1997, when methamphetamine, especially of the high grade variety, became a problem. This was the right thing to do - however sadly MDMA has been dragged along with it --> because it is AN amphetamine.
Sadly ignorance has led many justices to bundle them together WITHOUT reference to the physiological effects and potential problems of the drug and more importantly the effect they have on the community.
Trust me when District Court judges sentence drug dealers, they are thinking about every other case of property crime and robberies and drug induced violence they have presided over where the same old tired stories of addiction are trotted out by defence counsel. Thus when it comes time to pay back the dealers for what THEY see as the cause of these other crimes, they DO!

As we all know MDMA rarely causes this. However as i said the unfortunate failure to appreciate this means MDMA is just as likely to get as tougher sentence as methamphetamine or cocaine, all other things being equal. Heroin almost always get more, largely due to its level of demonisation above all others.
To prove my point about ignorance one District Court judge actually agreed with the prosecution that MDMA tablets shouldnt be treated as seriously as methylamphetamine and heroin but his hands were tied. However the judges reasons for this were because "users do not inject ecstasy, thus they do not become addicted to it, and do not commit other crimes to support their habit".
As we all know this is completely missing the point - it is the physiological effects of the drug and also the culture in which the drug is taken that prevents this - not the method of administration!!

It is ignorance like this that makes me want the Darwell decision and others that have followed to be taken to the High Court. Yes MDMA is on the same threshold of seriousness on the statute books; but lets get real. Sentencing should be about harm done to the community. No one can tell me that MDMA has the same sort of POTENTIAL to harm the WIDER community as does similar quantities of methylamphetamine and heroin. Sentencing has nothing to do with the drugs effect on the individual - read the decisions and you will understand by the language the justices use. And in their language the fact that MDMA has found itself alongside the drugs of addiction in the penalties the community seeks for its impact on it, is a travesty.

An example of a sentence for a given amount of heroin:
In Loh v The Queen, unreported; CCA SCt of WA; Library No 940508; 16 September 1994 Malcolm CJ, with whom the other two members of the Court agreed, said at 12 of his reasons:

"In my opinion, it must be taken that the learned Judge, with all of his accumulated experience, was fully aware of the totality principle. This may be inferred from the fact that, taken individually, the sentences of imprisonment for 2 years for each of the counts of selling half an ounce of heroin and the sentence of 3 years for supplying an ounce of heroin were extremely moderate sentences to be imposed in the case of a professional drug dealer involved in the sale of heroin purely for profit."

SUBJECTIVE CONSIDERATIONS

The individual

Previous convictions - especially for drug offences.
Age - older people committing drug offences are treated relatively more seriously than young offenders compared with other offences where it may be more even - violence etc.
Family background
Remorse
Pleading guilty at the earliest possible time
Drug addictions - supply to supplement your own addiction may just spare you gaol time --> it is the first thing i'd be getting my lawyer to say at the sentencing hearing. However some justices do not particulary appreciate this excuse.
Circle of friends - fell in to the wrong crowd - again tired excuses.
Poor - the lure of wealth got too much

As you can see their is an infinite amount of potential factors all weighed up by the judge. Thus it is impossible to know if gaol time will be given. However that described below is more easy to be objective about.

The offending behviour

Purity of the drugs - MDMA will be anywhere from 15% to 50-60%. Thus the very strong pills will get treated more seriously.

Is the dealing a commercial operation? Is money being made to buy things -not just drugs?
What sort of profit is to be made - many offenders once done for the offence will actually admit to the amount they intend to sell them for - thus indicating a profiteering intent - fucking stupid!
How long has the dealing been going on for?
What were the circumstances of the dealing - divided into many bags thus indicating many potential customers?
How high is the individual up in the chain?
How sophisticated is the operation?
Is the dealer just selling to close friends or is it a community wide endeavour with the willingness to supply mere "acquaintances" or even strangers.

Who you are selling it to:
In R v Dao, unreported; CCA SCt of WA; Library No 980619; 29 October 1998 Pidgeon J, when discussing the maximum penalty relating to the sale of all prescribed drugs (except cannabis), said that weight must be given to the maximum penalty of 25 years imprisonment and to the view that both the legislature and the community take in respect of the distribution of drugs of addiction. His Honour said: "The first indictment showed a systematic selling in an area frequented by young persons. Such conduct can be expected to attract an overall term upwards of 4 years imprisonment."

Drugs for own Use

In Brittain v The Queen [2001] WASCA 117 the offender was a nightclub promoter who claimed to have a significant drug problem. The offence involved around an ounce each of both MDMA and cocaine. A few interesting comments were made that I have cut and pasted:
Counsel for the applicant had submitted to the Judge that it was not known how much of the drugs the applicant had intended to sell or supply and that "if one is considering the appropriate standard of beyond reasonable doubt, then one could not conclude that he intended to sell or supply the whole of it or indeed intended to sell or supply half of it. All that can be said is that he intended to sell or supply a part of it."

"It was submitted that "between 2 grams and 28 grams is the grey area to determine how much of that quantity was for his own use." It was also submitted that it was of significance that during the trial evidence had been given of a search of the applicant's car and his home. The results of those searches had indicated absolutely no indicia of drug trafficking or incretion of assets. It was submitted that after an investigation of the applicant's finances, it had been revealed that there had been a clear depletion of his assets consistent with the proposition advanced by him in his evidence and in mitigation, that he had been expending large amounts of his own money in pursuit of his drug use."....

"Counsel for the DPP submitted that the DPP "would be happy to proceed on the basis of half and half - half for his own use, half for sale - given the difficulties that arise with this fact finding exercise. I have thought about the matter at some length and I just can't see any way of resolving it."...The applicant was found in possession of 27.7 grams of cocaine at 33 per cent purity and 29.37 grams of ecstasy tablets, ranging from 34 per cent to 41 per cent purity. In my view it can be assumed for the purposes of sentencing that the applicant intended to sell up to 13 grams of cocaine and 14 grams of ecstasy."

It was conceded for the DPP that the head sentence of imprisonment for both offences which had been 7 years imprisonment, should be reduced to less than 5 years imprisonment. However, it was submitted that the sentence should not be suspended due to the serious nature of offences involving the selling of the drugs cocaine and ecstasy. It was submitted that ecstasy is one of the amphetamines group and the distribution of it is now regarded as being at the higher end of the scale of seriousness and in the same category as heroin and cocaine - Darwell v The Queen (1997) 94 A Crim R 35 at 40.
It was further submitted that the major sentencing considerations for offences of this nature are general and personal deterrence, with the main objective being to stop people selling the drugs - R v Bellissimo (1996) 84 A Crim R 464 at 471...

CONCLUSION:
"The applicant has made, in the words of the authorities, impeccable efforts to rid himself of his drug problem. He is to be commended for that. He is also to be given recognition in the sentence for those efforts and his rehabilitation. However, in my view, the offences must result in an immediate prison sentence, although it should be shorter than would normally be imposed for offences of this nature.

I would sentence the applicant to 3 years imprisonment for each of the two offences and order that the sentences be served concurrently and to commence from 30 October 2000, as did the previous sentences which were imposed upon him. The applicant would be eligible for parole.

Anyway i hope that has shed a small amount of light - I could find you case after case with disparate endings but that is the subjective nature of the sentencing process - it has to be like that as personal circumstances and the circumstances surrounding the commission of the offence are important.

Just know that in WA at least, MDMA has, rightly or wrongly, been put up there with the others.
And most of all that magic number of 28grams SHOULD NEVER, EVER be breached. The consequences are too catastrophic. (If you are NOT in WA you should check your state's legislation for this amount)

I would recommend against ALL dealing of course, all i'm saying if any of you or your friends choose to you are EXTREMELY foolish to go above that number. And of course do not forget that the mass of pills you have is deceptively great relative to the number of hits it involves -one HIT = 300mg.
How many people have had a 300mg HIT of crystal meth or even ordinary heroin? Not many that are still around - u get the drift.

Last edited:
Thanks for the superbly detailed and thorough explanation Biscuit!!

very interesting Biscuit, just wondering where do u get the court examples? is there a website i can goto and do some further reading?

Biscuit,

That's a fantastic post, cheers!

Coming from a user who at very most has maybe 2 pills in posession at any one time I often forget the consequences of these little barrels of fun. It's interesting that time and time again I have to constantly remind myself that things like this are illegal, and the potential for loss, and convictions and the like is quite high..

Thank god, I could never see dealing as a way of making any money, it's definately not the kind of thing I'd be getting in to..

Great post!

kwiksand

What a great post. Thanks biscuit..does anyone know the qld and NSw laws as for personal use amounts..i know that large amounts of cannabis have been successfully argued to be personal use..but the chems..what are the court respected weights.

Thanks

MD

Thanks guys - I was meaning to do a thread on this for a while as reading the Darwell decision really got me hot.
This thread bumped by BT was relevant enough me to discuss it.

The best general purpose site is www.austlii.edu.au

From this site you can select ANY Australian jurisdiction including the Commonwealth.

This site allows searching of both legislation and case law.
So if you are from NSW you click NSW and you can select the Court decisions on the left and the statutes on the right.

Statutes - Click Consolidated Acts.
Click alphabetical search and take it from there.

Most states should have specific drug legislation. In WA it is the Misuse of Drugs Act. NSW appears to have the Drug Misuse and Trafficking Act.
The amounts are always listed in the SCHEDULES.
If it is NOT there then look at the corresponding REGULATIONS. Each statute will have regulations of the same name as the statute. The Schedules of the Regulations may also have the amounts. In Qld this is the case.

I had a cursory glance at the NSW one and it appeared very different to WA - in fact a lot harsher but I have not considered it properly yet.

Cases

For all the state Courts you generally want the Court of Criminal Appeal decisions. Or if that is not there select Court of Appeal decisions.
They are those decisions appealed from the District and Supreme Courts. Almost all low scale drug dealing offences under STATE law (in WA it is ALL drug offences) are heard in the District Court. So as most District Court decisions are not reported you must go to the Appeal Court decisions for cases that were INITIALLY heard in the DC and have since been appealed.

Click on DATABASE search - from there you can do refined searches using keywords etc - Ecstasy, MDMA, sentence, trafficking etc etc.

COMMONWEALTH:
This contains High Court decisions (those decisions appealed from the State Court of Appeal decisions) and Commonwealth statutes.
Importation offences are generally heard in the STATE SUPREME Courts initially NOT the Federal Court despite it being a Federal Act.
So if you are interested in penalties for actual importation under the Customs Act search under State Supreme Court decisions.

I have realised how different that amounts under each respective state is. So please do not pay much attention to the amounts in my post.
Just know there is for our purposes 2 important amounts.

Low threshold: anything above that you are PRESUMED to possess with intent to supply to another - "drug dealer".

High threshold: anything above that you are declared a drug trafficker or similar --> potentially severe economic and other consequences depending on your state's regime for dealing with traffickers.

You will have to determine your own state's amounts - I've tried to look but it seems that WAs Schedule is the only one that is actually clear and legible - have a look anyway though.
For better sites on state legislation look up your own state government. In WA it is the State Law Publisher at www.slp.wa.gov.au

These will be more up to date and have clearer presentation than Austlii.

Last edited: