• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Gabapentin and weight gain

Sunkrist

Greenlighter
Did you gain weight on gabapentin? If so, how long did it take you to lose the weight once you stopped it? Give me the details ;)

Hey there SinKrist!

How are you lady?

I haven't gained weight on Neurontin (gabapentin). I know it can increase appetite and cravings.

Try to choose healthy foods. And have them prepared for when hunger hits.

Before I go further - do you mean you have an increase in appetite or you're gaining weight from Neurontin alone?

*Sunkrist. My phone keeps auto typing. Can't tell you how much I hate that lol

I haven't had this issue with gabapentin either. I started it before I started antidepressants and I didn't start gaining weight until I was put on mirtazapine. I think what 10 said about having healthy foods available is good advice. Instead of reaching for a cookie, have fruit around. Apples are great because they are actually calorie negative foods - it takes more calories to digest an apple than it has in it. Eating fruit is a lot better than drinking fruit juice, too. A friend once told me a half gallon of orange juice typically has about the juice of 65 oranges in it. That's a shitload of sugar.

I do find I'm really thirsty alot.

Fortunately, I like diet drinks. But only if they're sweetened w Splenda. All the other sweeteners taste like poison to me.

There's alot of good diet stuff available now. Take a look at the grocery store and find stuff you like. Have it on hand.

Do you like vegetables? Baby spinach w olive oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Even some shredded cheddar cheese on top - put it in the microwave for 30;or so seconds to will the spinach and melt the cheese- omg. Delicious.

You can do it on the stove if your inclined to like cooking. I do. If you like cauliflower, there alot of amazing recipes for that too.

Liption Diet Citrus or mixed berry tea. Amazing. Good for you and tastes really good.

You can add fruit to it if you want. I add some oranges, lemons to the citrus flavor. Even rasberries and blueberries. To both flavors actually.

*Lipton Diet Citrus or mixed berry green tea.

(Sorry mods -cant edit without losing entire post)

I haven't gained weight on Neurontin (gabapentin). I know it can increase appetite and cravings.

Hey 10!! I'm doing ok...53 days free of tramadol so loving that! ;) The problem is that once I quit the trams, I had a huge surge in appetite that I first thought was from detoxing. I do think that was part of it, but it's now clear that it's mainly the gabapentin I've been on for a couple years that, as a solo drug, is causing intense sugar cravings, unlike any I've ever had. I think the tramadol was suppressing the sugar and appetite cravings from gabapentin. I went to the doctor yesterday and I've gained 12 pounds since right before I started tapering tramadol...so depressing! Anyway, I'm down from 2400 mg a day to 600 mg a day (gabapentin) in a month's time and glad for that, but I want to taper off as fast as I safely can because these cravings are worse than pregnancy cravings lol. My husband calls it GABAPIGG'N, PORKAPENTIN, GABAPORKIN lol...and it's true. Healthy snacks just don't appeal to me right now...I'm going to try some chromium picolinate to see if it helps with the sugar cravings. I just wanted to get some opinions on how those who struggled with this handled it. How are you doing 10? Catch me up on how you're doing and what's going on with you? Is the Lyrica still helping? I remember you telling me you took that in my tramadol thread. Thanks so much for reaching out! And no worries on the Sinkrist haha!!

"Apples are great because they are actually calorie negative foods - it takes more calories to digest an apple than it has in it."

I need to try an apple because they are pretty filling. Like I was telling 10YearsGone, I have these really strange, intense sugar and carb cravings and nothing else will satisfy. I'm really thirsty like she said and I end up drinking an entire day's worth of calories in soda, plus I'm eating more than ever. I'm staying the course with this taper and going to try to get control of it. I was expecting anxiety and rebound pain to be my main issues with this taper, and instead it's sugar cravings lol. I've heard mirtazepine is really bad for gaining weight. If you don't mind my asking, how much did you gain on it? Do you still take it? If you don't, did the weight come off shortly after stopping it? Thanks for your input.

I'm still on mirtazapine, but I've actually dropped the weight I gained on it through a combination of regular exercise and healthy eating habits. My weight gain was probably around 10 lbs. I don't like plain water very much so I'm a diet soda junkie too. I drink so much of it (difficult not to in Florida's brutal heat) I would probably weigh 500 lbs. if I didn't.