Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

FILM: Momento ... need help figuring it out

starlightgemini

Bluelighter
FILM: Memento ... need help figuring it out

I watched this movie (Momento) the other day. I think its from 1999 or something. It was really damn good but really twisted. If you've seen it you obviously know what I'm talking about. I'm not really good at figuring out complex movies and this one drove me crazy because it wasn't in chronological order. It wasn't even in perfect backwards order.

Anyways....I thought I had parts of it figured out until the end and then my theory got blown. And for some reason I can't let this go....I have to figure out what the hell actually happened in this movie. So, if anyone can help fill in the blanks it would be much appreciated. :) I'm contemplating watching it again in hopes of picking up things I missed before.

~Kristen

Last edited by a moderator:
hi there

i think, as with all art, it's open to interpretation.

it's a great film which often raises a lot of questions and can be discussed for hours... :)

perhaps it would be easier to focus on specific issues with the plot?

what was your theory for what happened? why do you feel it breaks down?

alasdair

I thought that the end showed you that he had already killed his wife's killer but he forgot about it so he was still looking for him.

The black and white scenes were going backwards in time, the colour scenes were happening chronologically.

But as it turns out it's nothing but a vicious circle anyway

alasdairm said:
what was your theory for what happened? why do you feel it breaks down?

Well I thought that the girl, Natalie, was setting Leonard up to kill Teddy b/c Teddy was involved with either killing her boyfriend or a drug deal gone bad or something. Then at the end I realized that Leonard set himself to go after Teddy, and of course L was the one who killed Jimmy, Natalie's bf from b4. So then I got totally confused.

I guess I'm just confused on Natalie's role. I know she was playing him (like when she pretended her boyfriend beat her up after Leonard had hit her) but I can't figure out why. And wasn't Teddy using him too?

I wish I had like one single question to ask, because I know I am being very evasive here, but this movie is just driving me crazy b/c I want to understand it. I guess a good movie can do that to you.

Thanks for the input guys :)

someone told me that he watched it on dvd, but programmed it to play the chapters in reverse order. he said the the movie sort of went in chronological order.

i only have it on vhs, not dvd, so i can't try this out myself.

i do like this movie a lot, though. i haven't had the chance to really watch it and make sense of the whole thing yet. i think this movie needs your complete attention for the whole film to be really understood, and i haven't given that to it yet.

if you search around on some of the files sharing clients there is a version that is setup in the correct chronological order.

Teddy was using Lenny. He did so by trying to get the 300 grand off the Natalie drug-dealer boyfriend. After the shooting Lenny wrote down on Teddy's photo, do not trust his lies. That photo was what hurting Teddy's chances of getting himself out of the situation. He tried just being nice and trusting to make it look like Lenny should trust him, but Natalie was getting Lenny involved in all sorts of drama which only made it tougher for Teddy. Natalie just played the game better, plus it helped that Lenny wasn't gay and that she was a bit of a flirt.

Last edited:
memento the movie!
memento who?
memento...
who's there?
knock, knock

alasdair

Ah I was pretty clear on all of it but when Lenny kept telling everyone that story about the dude that killed his wife with too much insulin he was talking about himself.

^^ NO! NO! NO! I've heard this theory over and over again, his wife was raped a murdered. He remebers Sammy Jenkins and brings up the story because that's his way of explaining his disease. Other than that Teddy is the cop that investigated the rape/murder he helped Leonard find the guy that killed his wife, but lenny never remebers killing him. Teddy is lenny's friend in the begining but then trys to use Lenny to make himself rich. In which case he gets caught up in Lennys fuct up world and turns into his victim. Just like teddy explained, Lenny has been and will keep doing the same thing, looking for a John G, He's just caught in a huge loop of trying to get revenge that has already happened.

^^ So why is it when you see Sammy Jenkins in the hospital, in one of the shots, for a brief moment, Lenny is sat in the seat instead of Sammy?

^^ I just don't think he killed his wife, sammy killed his wife, sammy wasn't conditioned like lenny is. Lenny can function, sammy can't. Lenny's wife was raped and murdered. but this is all the way I saw the movie.

what i never could figure out about that movie was when he first killed natalies boyfriend he drives over to that bar. she is waiting for him. she sees lenny and just plays it off like nothing.

what the hell is that all about. i understood all of it but that part just blew my mind. was she helping teddy? playing her boyfriend for a fool to split the money with teddy? i could not figure it out

IMO there is no Sammy Jenkins - Lenny is repeating the story, conditioning himself to justify his quest since it's all he can remember to do. That's why he burns the evidence at the end so he forgets what's happened and it all starts again. Or something :D