• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone potentiation

Bomb319

Bluelighter
I've been on Methadone Maintenance for about 4 years now. I'm still on a rather high dose due to an abnormally high tolerance. A single dose is 185 mg, but I often double up for 370 mg at a time since a single dose doesn't really do much for me; in fact, I can even begin to experience mild withdrawal symptoms within 12-18 hours after taking a single dose. Taking two does NOT make me feel extra drowsy or any other negative symptoms that would alert me that I've taken too much. I pick up once per week and so I get six take-home doses. I often double up one, two or (rarely) three days of the week, take my regular single prescribed dose 1-3 days, and have nothing for 1-3 days. Needless to say, I only do this when I have absolutely nothing to do and no committments on my days without. Just the psychological factor of knowing I haven't had anything is enough to cause mild physical symptoms and moderate to extreme anxiety if I'm out of my apartment. Normally, withdrawal does not become severely uncomfortable in one or even two days, depending on other factors - which brings me to my question.

Naturally, I've experimented with potentiation many times - Cat's Claw which did nothing, and Grapefruit juice which seems to extend the effect of the methadone, but at the cost of making me feel like shit the next time I don't have any GFJ. It effectively increases my dose, but adds the burden of needing it every time. Anyway, one thing I haven't tried is Dextromethorphan (DXM). I remember a topic long ago where people were espousing the efficacy of taking this before dosing. Since I haven't read about this in a long time and that topic was so old and possibly outdated, I'd really like to ask you guys here.

Has anyone tried DXM and methadone together, and does it work? Does it make the feeling of the methadone better, or simply prolong it (more interested in the latter than the former actually, due to the sporadic way in which I usually dose)?

How much DXM should I take and how long before/after my dose?

Would taking it with a double-dose be too dangerous and risk overdose despite my tolerance (even to a double dose) and the length of time I've been on maintenance??

If anyone else has any thoughts, comments, opinions, etc. I would REALLY love to hear them! It's been a long time since I posted on this board. I've been totally clean of all illegal drugs since mid 2014 and have little to no desire to start again (just the thought of finding new connects, dealing with fraud and ripoffs, fake or shitty product, etc...ugh..is enough to keep me away). However, I still do enjoy the effect of the methadone which is quite nice if it's been a couple days since I've taken a dose. I will always love opiates, and this is the only way I can legally do them now, and without buying anything off the street.

Thanks a lot in advance!! I remember well how helpful this board is!!

EDIT: I'm fully aware that I should be taking a single dose every 24 hours and not messing with it. That leaves me feeling OK but low energy, and even very slightly sick later that night (withdrawal can come VERY quickly for me, especially with a lower dose). I will probably make another topic soon about quitting this varied dosing habit, but I currently find that EXTREMELY hard to do; I could never seem to keep opiates around my place without doing them compulsively, and it would appear that I still can't - even with methadone which lacks a clear euphoria. Nevertheless, I do get the opiate effects and often have much higher evergy and am in a great mood when I double.

Another thing - sometimes going without my dose for a couple days causes no problems whatsoever, while ocassionally I wind up with quite vicious withdrawal that is enough to cause sneezing fits, hot flashes and sweating, and even puking. I've racked my brains and searched everywhere to find the reason for this randomness, but I still can't pin it down 100 percent. Three things seem to affect this early withdrawal however:

1. stomach acid - more acid = less methadone, so I take Pantaloc once per day or Zantac if I run out.

2. Diphenhydramine - I take this every day, usually in the form of Gravol/Dramamine to sleep. Gravol contains less diph along with a stimulant. Just a couple pills doesn't seem to affect it much. However, one time I had pure diph - several pills, several times a day. I then proceeded to have the WORST, most awful, sweating, sneezing, puking, things-smelling-weird withdrawal since using heroin. I've never used pure diph since, and never had that horrible experience since either. I feel like it somehow kicked out all methadone remaining in my body.

3. Eating - I've been "trained" over the years to not feel like eating a thing when experiencing even mild withdrawal. I can go days without eating a morsel of food, although I do usually try to eat a little something (a few hundred calories a day). When I have nothing for over a day, it seems to accelerate the withdrawal process.

Methadone already has NMDA antagonism.

You're talking large doses of methadone.... Honestly your only real option is to make the effort to reduce your tolerance so a realistic dose is effective again. Anything you do to potentiate your dose could very easily kill you. It is just not safe to be trying to get a stronger effect when you need to work on reducing your dependence on such a high dose.

So if I lost enough tolerance, could I get a 100 mg dose feel the same as a 400 mg dose? There has to be a point where this just doesn't work as effectively. I've tried to lose tolerance before, but the longest I've gone completely without is 4 days. When I take my dose after that, I do feel it more, but only for a day or two.

My tolerance and opioid experience is so strong/long, I'm not too worried. I'm careful in general and have never even thrown up or fallen asleep from taking too much - swallowed OR IV. While I would definitely be wary of messing with multiple forms of potentiation at once, I doubt a sip or two of DXM would be very dangerous.

prob just smoke weed or better yet, exercise, that will make you feel much higher than any shitty drug like dxm or cimetidine etc...

Both grapefruit juice and omeprazol boost methadone effect because cause higher levels in blood. Grapefruit juice inhibits an enzima which metabolized methadone and omeprazol changes stomach PH leading a higher absorption of methadone. Take the grapefruit juice and one capsule of omeprazol 20-30 minutes before take methadone

I find taking 3-4 200 mg cimetidine tabs and 3-4 50 mg Dramamine tabs about 45 minutes before my methadone potentitiates my dose really well. I’ve been on 100 mg mdone for about 1.5 years and began potentiating my dose 2-3 times a week about 6 months ago. I get two weeks of take homes at a time so i usually will take an extra 50 mg MD on the first day or two of getting my prescription but find that taking the cimetidine and Dramamine with that make 150 feel more like 200. Then I’ll take my regular dose for about 9 days and then the last two days before refills I have about 50 mg each day so I’ll take the cimetidine and Dramamine on those days which will feel like taking almost my regular dose. Just my experience. But yeah, sometimes I will take a really low dose for several days to get my tolerance down a bit so then when I take my dose plus a little extra with the cimetidine and Dramamine I can get a really nice buzz every now and then. I take zero illegal substances since I started methadone, no weed, or anything else for that matter. So sometimes it’s just nice. Take it easy!

At that dosage, not much! You're tapped out brotha.
When I was on 120mg I used to wake up every morning at 5 am with total anxiety and vomiting. Then I had to take a bus 30+ minutes to the middle of Miami to get my dose. Bad times. Strangely, once I started my taper it subsided.

If you need to potentiate methadone your best bet is to cut back and face some brutal half-edged withdrawals. Obviously no one in the right mind would do this, but quite frankly I would.

What's a little sickness to avoid hitting the same wall over and over? At least you would benefit from the substance again instead of having to take the time and effort to find out ways to make methadone effective again. Opiates sort of work in a form of equivalent exchange I like to say. There's not much you can do unless you're willing to pay some sort of price to feel it nicely again. I would rather be so dopesick beyond recognition for some time than to just take a dose large enough to kill three people and not feel a single thing.

Certain antibiotics like erythromycin increases plasma levels but can be dangerous at the high levels you take

Opiates are a total bitch .. tolerance reduces quickly but returns quicker. I used to do bupe withdrawals and take a month of ... but that'd buy me a week of reduced tolerance at best. To get tolerance well down you'll need to take a LONG time off. Chasing the buzz liek that is kind of like potentiation but in reverse .. so I really don't think potentiation is your "way out." as your still be on the see saw.

It's actually likely your inconsistent doseing regime is aggrivating everything as you're 3 days off will reduce your tolerance (for basically you first hit) so you're getting this rabid see saw effect of it working then not working which is a great way to piss yourself off if your a junky. Nobody wants to be half high .. it's better to be sober. Rather than potentiating which will just increase the inbalance .. try stabilising your use. I know the temptation to get high is a bitch .. but take it regularly instead of saving it up and see if this lack of effect stops pissing you off so much. You won't be catching any nice methadone buzzes .. but it will be there in the background and you won't be see-sawing and working yourself up to want more that way. Being sick is one of the largest drivers of desire for more .. so avoid it! getting high as hell will drive it .. but is actually easier to let go of than the desire from the sickness,

These days .. I let my heroin use go up and down gradually. Granted sometimes quality goes to shit or I run out .. but that's the only source of "work," in my habit. If I'm not getting high any more .. I just slow it down for a while. Let it chase you .. don't you chase it.

Works on cats .. works on heroin.

Cyclizine.

But where you're going wrong is trying to get wasted on methadone.

What you should be doing is using it wisely to reduce your tolerance and ultimately come off opiates.
Cyclizine definitely does somedays i miss out the cyclizine as i dont wanna benflat out all day. I am on 90mg anfnother meds

I've been on Methadone Maintenance for about 4 years now. I'm still on a rather high dose due to an abnormally high tolerance. A single dose is 185 mg, but I often double up for 370 mg at a time since a single dose doesn't really do much for me; in fact, I can even begin to experience mild withdrawal symptoms within 12-18 hours after taking a single dose. Taking two does NOT make me feel extra drowsy or any other negative symptoms that would alert me that I've taken too much. I pick up once per week and so I get six take-home doses. I often double up one, two or (rarely) three days of the week, take my regular single prescribed dose 1-3 days, and have nothing for 1-3 days. Needless to say, I only do this when I have absolutely nothing to do and no committments on my days without. Just the psychological factor of knowing I haven't had anything is enough to cause mild physical symptoms and moderate to extreme anxiety if I'm out of my apartment. Normally, withdrawal does not become severely uncomfortable in one or even two days, depending on other factors - which brings me to my question.

Naturally, I've experimented with potentiation many times - Cat's Claw which did nothing, and Grapefruit juice which seems to extend the effect of the methadone, but at the cost of making me feel like shit the next time I don't have any GFJ. It effectively increases my dose, but adds the burden of needing it every time. Anyway, one thing I haven't tried is Dextromethorphan (DXM). I remember a topic long ago where people were espousing the efficacy of taking this before dosing. Since I haven't read about this in a long time and that topic was so old and possibly outdated, I'd really like to ask you guys here.

Has anyone tried DXM and methadone together, and does it work? Does it make the feeling of the methadone better, or simply prolong it (more interested in the latter than the former actually, due to the sporadic way in which I usually dose)?

How much DXM should I take and how long before/after my dose?

Would taking it with a double-dose be too dangerous and risk overdose despite my tolerance (even to a double dose) and the length of time I've been on maintenance??

If anyone else has any thoughts, comments, opinions, etc. I would REALLY love to hear them! It's been a long time since I posted on this board. I've been totally clean of all illegal drugs since mid 2014 and have little to no desire to start again (just the thought of finding new connects, dealing with fraud and ripoffs, fake or shitty product, etc...ugh..is enough to keep me away). However, I still do enjoy the effect of the methadone which is quite nice if it's been a couple days since I've taken a dose. I will always love opiates, and this is the only way I can legally do them now, and without buying anything off the street.

Thanks a lot in advance!! I remember well how helpful this board is!!

EDIT: I'm fully aware that I should be taking a single dose every 24 hours and not messing with it. That leaves me feeling OK but low energy, and even very slightly sick later that night (withdrawal can come VERY quickly for me, especially with a lower dose). I will probably make another topic soon about quitting this varied dosing habit, but I currently find that EXTREMELY hard to do; I could never seem to keep opiates around my place without doing them compulsively, and it would appear that I still can't - even with methadone which lacks a clear euphoria. Nevertheless, I do get the opiate effects and often have much higher evergy and am in a great mood when I double.
185 mg to 300 of methadone , that’s hell of a lot😳

I dont think its that bad of an idea to use methadone recreationally, in a general sense.. but in OPs situation there is nothing that can be done. if 300mg of methadone doesnt make you feel high, no amount will.

Also I have tried taking dxm to potentiate bupe... it didnt work... just felt like bupe and dxm.

Cyclizine.

But where you're going wrong is trying to get wasted on methadone.

What you should be doing is using it wisely to reduce your tolerance and ultimately come off opiates.
Man I can't agree any more...started mat 1996&its what, 2021 now...for every year you stay wallowing in met-world, you will take 3/5 years trying to get back. This don't get easier...

Cannabis is your friend especially when your On methadone or any opiate for that matter yes indeed 👍