• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Opiate withdrawal tricks?

po29

Greenlighter
I took my last oxy 2 mornings ago. I've read BL through and through and I know about Immodium, potassium and melatonin. I also have Lyrica and some powder Kratom. I can hardly stomach the toss & rinse when taking kratom! Omg its awful! I've taken some Aleve PM and I think I'm getting tired, but I'm terrified to go to sleep because I'll wake up in a little bit with insomnia and back spasms from hell. My back problems are what got me hooked on opiates in the first place, but I get spasms x10 when I try to detox. My people ran out of their supply and between me and 2 friends, we cannot find anything!! So I figured this is as good a time as any to stop since I've been desperately wanting to and I have no choice at the moment. I was taking 50-100+mg percs every day, depending on what I could afford. I just can't keep doing it. My addiction is hidden, my husband has no idea. But he is on my case about spending too much money (I get cash back from the store once or twice a day to avoid tracking the actual cash). Its been going on for almost 2 years, but mainly a full-fledged addiction for a year. I just need to talk about my story and hear advice from people with experience to keep me motivated and more importantly to not get more when they come around. Thanks guys! Its already a weight lifted off my shoulders just writing this!

Welcome. Like you, I had a hidden opiate problem. Hidden from friends, coworkers, and especially my long-time boyfriend. I'm a week sober (with the help of suboxone) and it's been a journey but I'm making it to the other side. I highly suggest stopping now. Like you, my pill problem was a major financial drain on me (and my boyfriend) and instead of stopping I switched to a much cheaper opiate, heroin. After 8 months of that, I just about lost everything before I finally decided to call it quits...just in time, thankfully. Lost the boyfriend, but I'm not homeless, jobless, and on the street (which would've eventually happened). May I suggest opening up to the husband? My boyfriend basically busted me (walked in on me snorting a line of h) and broke up with me. He wasn't as upset about the drug use as he was that I had been hiding such a major thing from him and the lies that accompanied keeping that hidden. He's supporting me emotionally, for now at least, through my getting clean process but only time will tell if we'll ever get back to where we once were romantically.

But as far as relief from wds, I highly recommend immodium, aleve, and exercise. I know you don't feel like doing anything. but try and make yourself.

Po29, welcome to BL. I once had a perc habit like yours, when I first got started in this mess... it wasn't long til I graduated to roxy 30s and popping upwards of 8 day. Stop now is what I suggest. If I had a time machine. I was offered the H alternative many times, thought about going that route, still think about it, but I need to trust my gut, which is telling me now is the time to get healthy. Not for my wife and kids, but for me. Well, and for my kids too.

Anyway, enough about me. For your situation, kratom can be the miracle plant it is often touted to be. Do you have a reliable vendor? It is effective and affordable. But toss and wash?? F that!! Gross. Just grab some OJ in a single serving bottle, take a few sips out, dump in 5 grams of crushed leaf, shake vigorously, chug and you'll be good to go. It really works, and for a habit that is right now not crazy over the top like yours, I think it can be used to quit percs. I've done it many times, but obviously those quits didn't stick.

I'd lean on the kratom, but tread cautiously knowing it can be addictive in its own right. But in the spirit of harm reduction, it is great.

My husband and I are both hooked on oxys. Same old story started out as weekend fun then became physically dependent. I only take like 40mg a day ( because they are so exspensive) but I cant go a day without . Just like you the worst part is that no one besides my hubby knows about our problem . I feel so stuck and cant afford to be sick and miss work . And when I dont have it people make comments like oh you look so pale, look so tired . Anyway I understand ! Hot baths and a heavy blanket always help me with the restless legs and thc edibles to help calm and sleep . Good luck and keep us updated and know you are not alone , I feel and understand your pain . You made it 2 days so maybe only 2-3 more days to go !

Day 2 for me after a 40 perc a day habit for 3 years. Tried and failed a bunch of times but I am going to do it this time. How are you both doing? Remember life before this and that will hep you through.

I can only speak about myself but lyrica helped so much with sleep and anxiety.Like lucidsdreamr said take in high doses.

hi po29, i head down the pharmaceutical route for help when i get off. my cycle for the last few years has been off and on. sometimes i can stay clean for 3mnths, then i'll use for a few weeks, then i get back off again when i start getting too hooked.
i use tramadol/valium to soften the blow - it really helps with the restless legs. some peeps get high off tram, but it doesnt really do anything for me, aside from reduce anxiety...even in higher doses of 400mg.
so yeh, i go to doc and pick up a script, or head into the dark web. then i self medicate. it works really well for me in the initial detox phase.
hang in there po, it's stupid hard coming off, good work! and good luck!
x

Hello all! Been lurking for months and have finally found a story that is familiar to me!! Nobody knows my "dirty little secret". i dont even know where to start. How my life got so complicated....when the exact moment was that i became a pain pill addict...but i am. Im ready to get better. Im interested in hearing about everyones advice on how to get through this next week without calling the dope man...my husband and my son deserve better than this. I want to be better than this disease. Good luck to you and to everyone on here fighting!!!!

hi desp, good luck for giving getting clean a go. how long have u been using b4. i posted earlier in this thread relating what i take - a combo of valium and tramadol. i like a soft landing. i hate the sweats, but the worst thkng for me is the leg spasms/shakes/cant stay still. i have baths with epson salts. peeps swear by this, but it's not for me. i get bored. lol
so what are u doing that-s working? and what has worked in the past?
hang in there:)

hi desp, good luck for giving getting clean a go. how long have u been using b4. i posted earlier in this thread relating what i take - a combo of valium and tramadol. i like a soft landing. i hate the sweats, but the worst thkng for me is the leg spasms/shakes/cant stay still. i have baths with epson salts. peeps swear by this, but it's not for me. i get bored. lol
so what are u doing that-s working? and what has worked in the past?
hang in there:)

Hi pollyanna, i know i was not very clear about my backstory..1st timer jitters and all..

Anyway...I am a 46 year old wife, mom of an 8 yr old..stay at home and take care of my 74 y.o. mom. My DOC is pain pills. Usage varies by the day...but i would say a "feeling normal" dose is 60-80mgs of pers, vics, oxy....whatever i can get. Today is day 2 (again). Like everyone else, started as a couple here, couple there..no biggie. Then it became 3, 4, a weekend. Then 3-4 a day, etc. My addiction has snowballed into what it is today. I cant remember when it became full blown. Ugh.. maybe approx 2 yrs? 3?. Its been going on for so long, i dont remember who or what i was before pills. Ive found myself "rationalizing" my use. "Just 1 or 2 of these pills will make me a better wife, mom, friend..." just get 6 pills and taper, or 10 pills and then ill taper. Well obviously not working out...my wake up call? 2 days ago my husband called me out on 1200 gone in a month. Just like that...1200 gone under my tongue. I was so ashamed...trying to figure out how i got so weak. I lied of course. Anyway...im on day 2. Ive been using gabapentin 300 mg 2 to 3 times a day and loperamide for diarrhea 8 10 mgs. It helps immensely. Ive never gotten rls but i have the hot
And cold flashes, stomach cramps. Im actually out of the gaba right now so waiting patiently for the mail. Ive never talked about this with ANYONE EVER! So on this day 2, ive reached out, this has to be my last day 2....i cant keep up this charade any longer. Thank you all for reading. Good luck to anyone and everyone who has had to go through this.

aah, the elusive taper. i am guilty of lying to myself about a gazillion times over. btw, i'm a newbie here too, i had to goolge DOC!
you said talkng/typing here and tellinf ur story has been really helpful for you, have u tried any support groups? there are many choices out there in my area - maybe one of those would be helpful to you. in my area there are others aside from NA. i find reaching out to others to be really cathartic.
i hope day 3 was bearable.
polly

Hi polly! I am currently living day 3 right now. So far..so good... using comfort meds loperamide for diarrhea and ibuprofen for headache. Keeping busy today with a couple of errands, laundry, dishes, dinner, etc. I appreciate the advice for support groups. Ive been doing some online research on recovery groups, outpatient treatments, etc. So i believe that will be my next step. 1 hr at a time at the moment. Its 10:30am here 3/15/18. In the midwest US. Looking forward to 11:30 am. Lol. Day 3 is my usual "make or break day". Eh...who am i kidding? Its my break day...i usually break on day 3. I cant remember the last time ive seen day 4...or 5.. but im working like hell to get to day 4. Please keep me posted on how you are doing!!

Hey Desp, did you make it through the day? though i think we may be in different time-zones - it's 1:20am in Victoria, Australia atm.
I'm doing well - I'm always on or off. I current pattern is 3mnths off, then a binge for a few weeks, then back off it again. You may wonder why i would get back on...yeh, me too. i have been using off and on since i was 16 and i'm 44 now. yikes - that's a long time. During some of that time, i would have years off, but it always draws me back. lately i have been taking naltrexone to help stay off. it works really well for me...but you have to take it otherwise it won't work (obvs!). have you heard of it? basically it's a blocker so you can't feel opiate while you are on it. I tried once to cheat it by using an increased dose (very stupid idea...this is how overdoses happen!), but it did nothing. Another good thing about it is that it lasts a few days in your system. so if you break to your cravings and decide to have some opiates..you have to wait 5 days to be able to feel it...in which time, hopefully you have changed your mind anyway.
so anyway...i hope today went well. hang in there :)

Hi polly! I am currently living day 3 right now. So far..so good... using comfort meds loperamide for diarrhea and ibuprofen for headache. Keeping busy today with a couple of errands, laundry, dishes, dinner, etc. I appreciate the advice for support groups. Ive been doing some online research on recovery groups, outpatient treatments, etc. So i believe that will be my next step. 1 hr at a time at the moment. Its 10:30am here 3/15/18. In the midwest US. Looking forward to 11:30 am. Lol. Day 3 is my usual "make or break day". Eh...who am i kidding? Its my break day...i usually break on day 3. I cant remember the last time ive seen day 4...or 5.. but im working like hell to get to day 4. Please keep me posted on how you are doing!!

Really proud of you. You can do it.

Same here, lurking for a while, posting bits here and there. I am in the same boat, hidden dependence on Oxycodone. I get 10mg tablets, 180 pills per month from my Dr for back pain. (Car accident in 2010) I have gradually had to use more to help the pain. Now I go thru them all within a couple of weeks or so! Then i suffer the rest of the month, I take Gabapentin, loperimide, tizanadine, and maloxicam to get thru the withdrawls. I just have no energy!! I get my next script on the 24th, and I know I will take them to feel normal again. My Wife has no idea I'm so dependent on these pills, if she did she would kick me to the curb!! She has no tolerance for drug abuse of any kind. She has Crohns disease and MS, so I have to be able to care for her. And to do that I need pain relief, I just don't know what to do!! Good Luck to All getting off this Merry go Round. I'm glad to talk to anyone!!

You might try a pain clinic and legally get your pain meds. They will test you so you cant use anything but what they prescribe. My doc overlooks THC cause he knows i visit a legal state. Just saying that it tremendously helps my back pain.

You might try a pain clinic and legally get your pain meds. They will test you so you cant use anything but what they prescribe. My doc overlooks THC cause he knows i visit a legal state.

stuff that helps ease opioid wd

• the best is clonidine, an alpha blocker (blood pressure medicine); i dont know if anybody knows exactly why, but it works amazingly well at getting rid of opioid wd symptoms, pretty much all of them aside from lethargy, which will prolly become worse because it lowers blood pressure

• take 800mg of cimetadine (brand name Tagamet) and then about an hour later take loperamide (Immodium), you'll prolly need 10-20 mg or more of lope, but be warned that lope can cause arrhythmia and other heart problems, so if you already have issues with your heart you should avoid lope; cimetadine is a liver enzyme inhibitor, so it basically makes drugs stronger by slowing down how fast they get metabolized, you get more effect for taking less of the drug you're wanting to potentiate; this will help ease physical symptoms, helping get rid of the sweats, insomnia, wd-induced anorexia and nausea, restless leg, diarrhea, etc

• kratom can help too, but be careful here because you might end up swapping one dependency for another and end up with a kratom habit, which you'll have to wd from next

• ketamine and dxm can help ease wd too

you should try to avoid diphenhydramine because it can make the restless leg aspect way worse, and rather than helping you sleep it might keep you stuck awake even more

I Went to pain management clinic 2 years ago. They did noting for me except prescribe me pain meds. So I went to my primary care Dr and he put me on suboxone. I did that for a couple of months, but I got no pain relief at all from it. So I went back to Percs. I'm currently out of of my meds till the 24th. I'm using Gabapentin, Tizanadine, loperimide as needed. I have no energy, and I have the shakes, also my speech is funky. I go to say somthing and it's like can't get the words out correctly. I have never had that happen before!!
I have heard of using dextromathphan, but I don't know how much to take to feel somewhat normal. Can someone help me out??!!