• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Help looking for detox so many options

bjd1020

Greenlighter
Here is my story, I will try to provide a short synopsis. My goal is to get some good advice and answers to questions. I plan to detox in the coming days and I am not sure what path I want to take. Anyhow, 6 months ago I had developed an upper right quadrant abdominal pain. I was being seen at the mayo clinic in jacksonville for diagnosis. Around Christmas I received a small script of tramadol from my local dr. which worked, when it ran out the pain came back. While waiting for the Dr.s at Mayo to come through with a script I came across a local source for opana IR 10 mgs. I took the whole pill and it worked perfectly. So I decided I would use these until the script for tramadol came through. I also realized that by crushing the opana and snorting them that I could get more use out of them, so that's what I began to do. Fast forward 5 weeks and my tramadol has come through. When I tried to quit the opana I started to get sick and realized that I would be facing a detox period. So not I am a bit freaked out and has explored a ton of options but am not sure what to do. There is a rehab facility in Florida that is willing to take me. The folks seem to be a bit pushy and there are a ton of bad reviews. Also the fact that I will be sharing a room and a toilet with someone else has some logistical concerns that I am not sure will be very comforting. The one thing that appeals to me by going to a facility is that they can provide some medical service to help with the detox symptoms that I could not get over the counter. I have a bottle of lorazapam for sleep and 180 tablets of tramadol and 20 of the opana left. I am considering developing an at home plan as I have the next 12 days off of work. I have read a ton of stuff, such as the use of Imodium and many other supplements. I don't believe I need support for substance abuse, just help detoxing and getting down to the use of the tramadol as prescribed. I have also heard of these detox kits. I want to call my Dr. tomorrow to see what he says, as I would much rather do this detox at home and given what I have and what I can get over the counter want to come up with a plan for the detox. I understand that its not allowed to provide medical advice here, however if anyone has any insight that would be very helpful. I want to switch from snorting to taking the opana orally but don't know what the conversion will be if there is one. I just need to get off this stuff so I can get down to my original tramadol dose for the pain. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

It is probably best to consult your doctor. I live in Orlando so I can steer you to other facilities if you do not want to go to the place you are looking at, especially if you are willing to get out of the Jacksonville area. Feel free to send me a PM.

OP, if I'm reading your post correctly it sounds like you haven't been abusing the opana for very long. That's not to minimize what you're up against...but if it's correct, it's good news in that your acute withdrawal symptoms are likely to be fairly short-lived.

If you feel like a medical detox is your best bet, then by all means go for it.

But another option to consider would be to ask your doctor for some medications to ease the WD (aka comfort meds). The lorazepam and imodium are a good start. But many docs are happy to prescribe options such as clonidine and baclofen (or gabapentin is another option), which will help tremendously. Maybe ask your doc tomorrow?

I really appreciate the time you all are taking to respond. I don't want to do the inpatient detox if its not necessary, id rather do it at home. Given what I have on hand I don't know what they would provide, plus the idea of sharing a room and toilet for 5 days with a stranger vs having the comfort of my own home kind of freaks me out. I have the next 11 days off of work and can seclude myself in another wing of the house. Like I said I don't have a history of drug abuse. I just want to get down to the original meds my dr has provided (6 tramadol a day) and off the opana. Yes, this will be week six since I started using the opana. I actually have a bottle of gabapentin as well. I understand you are not allowed to talk about/recommend dosages on this forum but that is exactly what I am looking for. Given what I have on hand Id like to develop a schedule for the detox period. If there is something else I should add to my schedule that would be helpful as well. I can also consult my Dr if needed.

Actually I bet someone will discuss some hypothetical diseases for the comfort meds. That just a bit above my pay grade.

I don?t want to kid you and say it will be a cakewalk. But with the stuff you?ve got on hand (and especially if your doc would give you some clonidine) I put a high probability on the experience not being too bad.

Again, like I said, I have the stuff but have no idea how to use it. Quite frankly I am scared shitless. I am not a hard core drug user, I mean I did my fair share back in school but the way this shit gripped me came out of nowhere. I had no idea it would take ahold like this. From a "getting high" stand point Its not an issue, I never really got high while using it, maybe a little bit, but not what I would consider "high" I was just using what I needed to get rid of the pain. The chick that has been trying to sell me the rehab package from Addiction Centers of America today started to try and tell me I needed to be medically supervised because of seizures when I started to back pedal on whether I needed a facility or whether I wanted to do this at home. Is there some information on what the conversion is from snorting vs taking orally so I can at least make that switch, it will be easier I think for tapering if I was taking them orally. Thanks again for responding.

Addiction Centers of America is a racket. Given your location in NE Florida I would look into Lakeview Health in Jax or Shands Vista in Gainesville which is a part of UFHealth. The advantage to going inpatient is that your vitals are constantly monitored and medications adjusted on the spot as needed. The most important thing though is just to follow the advice of your doctor.