• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Tramadol and coedine

Pizza lover

Greenlighter
Just a question i have always wanted to know, if anyone could help would be great. I have enjoyed taking coedine and tramadol, separately as they are not easy to come by here and i find after a few days taking the slow release 100mg tramadol, i have to wait approximately 4days before i can enjoy coedine again as i can't feel anything from the coedine and its a waste, does anyone know why?

It's called cross-tolerance, happens with every Opiate / Opiod like Tramadol / Codeine / Dihydrocodeine / Hydrocodone / Oxycodone etc. :)

Basically you have a set amount of receptors in your body that can absorb Opiate metabolites or molecules, still following me here? Ok, now when you use an Opiate more of those receptors will be made by your body, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I'm very tired from last night... :p So there you have it: more drug needed to get well / high (shhh we cannot advertise getting high on here but anyway ;)) and it's called tolerance. :)

-- Peace o/

^ thats what I was thinking... but it doesnt explain why there is 0 effect. Lesser effect maybe, but absolutely nothing? Doesn't make sense.

I have recently tried using Tramadol instead of oxycodone. The dosage I am taking is close to 500mg per day. I am 80kg and understand this is the maximum level that is recommended, but I'm not getting any real pain relief. Is it better to take tramadol in small frequent doses or a larger single dose? I am currently taking 100mg the 50m mg after 1 hr and another 50 mg another hour after that. I am doing this twice a day but I am worried about increased tolerance, is there a way to potentiate it so that I can lower the dose? Is there any benefit of combining with 5mg of oxycodone in my initial 100mg dose?

Codiene is a weak medication to begin with, and a prodrug(so is tram, though other than atypical effects seems more reliable)

Downregulation can also be a problem, though with a single use?

Euphoria can be fleeting, especially from mild prodrugs; codiene should be used as last resort or for mild conditions

Codiene is a weak medication to begin with, and a prodrug(so is tram, though other than atypical effects seems more reliable)

Downregulation can also be a problem, though with a single use?

Euphoria can be fleeting, especially from mild prodrugs; codiene should be used as last resort or for mild conditions

I'm not looking for the Euphoria - Oxycodone and Tramadol both have a stimulant effect and although I would love to take a sleeping tablet, its just not a risk I am willing to take, Hence I only take it in the mornings and mid afternoon. My reason for single use is to acheive pain relief without exceeding dosage guidelines. I only take it for a short term (5-7 days) when neck pain strikes, thankfully only a few times a year. Oxycodone works well but I really save it for the breakthrough pain

^ Sorry, with a few days of a CR medication, tolerance will rapidly increase, and then, forgery about Codiene(at reasonable doses)

However it drips quickly so a couple days later analgesic effects return-this is why people take tolerance breaks- Oxycodone is a better option, more addictive perhaps, though for PRN use it should maintain efficacy better

(Lorne's autocorrect is mixing up posters and drugs now)

You know, since we're all about the codeine problems lately, now there's two drugs that both need CYP2D6 to get to the opioid metabolites.

Tramadol has no opioid receptor affinity by itself, and needs to be metabolised to desme-tram for that.

Pizzalover:

I wouldn't be surprised if the slowly formed (in slow release) and longer-lived desmetramadol, plus some tolerance, lingering around is blunting your codeine enjoyment. Although 100mg isn't a tremendous amount and nine hours isn't that long. It probably is only tolerance. Only solution is to space the two drug uses out.

Aussie_Kiss:

You said you get relief with the oxycodone, but I guess it's a bit more precious, is why you save it for breakthrough pain? Cause if that works, you should use it instead of redlining tramadol dosage.

You too might be one of those CYP2D6 people or more likely drug-interacting people, since you need that enzyme function to get all the pain relief from tramadol (but not oxycodone). You asked about potentiating, and I hope you didn't already try anything like grapefruit juice, because that inhibits the enzyme you actually need.

You can get a list of the hundreds of foods and drugs that inhibit that enzyme online. You might be taking an anti-histamine to try to potentiate too, and be counter-productive.

Or, tramadol might not be the drug for you. Please don't take the max dose all at once, do like you were doing, but more spread out in time. You can take an antihistamine to sleep later, don't worry about that. Just don't start seizing.