• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

First opiate poppy crop blooms in New South Wales

poledriver

Bluelighter
First opiate poppy crop blooms in New South Wales

The first opiate poppy crop has bloomed in New South Wales, with the industry expected to boom after a change in law last year.

More than 400 hectares of the poppies have been planted in the state and are due to be harvested this season, Ministry for Primary Industries Niall Blair said today.

The poppies will be harvested for their opiate content, which will then be refined into morphine, codeine and thebaine – drugs used for pain relief, anti-addiction medication and palliative care.

http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2017%2F10%2F28%2F10%2F01%2FPOPPIES1.jpg

Australia is currently responsible for more than half of the global opiate market, with the growing industry projected to reap $100 million over the next decade in NSW alone.

In 2013, poppy cultivation was estimated to be worth $290 million to the Tasmanian government, and the passing of the Poppy Industrial Bill by the NSW parliament has allowed them to be grown in the state.

"When the NSW Government changed the law in 2016, it was because we saw the potential here for producers and for patients in need," Mr Blair said.

A major health care system serving the US upper Midwest said the number of opioid pills it prescribes has fallen by almost a quarter as it works to respond to America's epidemic.

"The stance that we have taken is clearly opioid overdoses, both illicit and prescription overdoses, are a problem in this country, including in our footprint," said Doug Griffin, who spearheaded the data collection as vice president and medical officer for Sanford in Fargo.

Trump's declaration, which will be effective for 90 days and can be renewed, will allow the US federal government to redirect resources in various ways and to expand access to medical services in rural areas, but won't unlock new funds to fight a scourge that kills nearly 100 people a day.

British documentary filmmaker Louis Theroux issued a warning early this month that an Australian crackdown on painkillers containing codeine could inadvertently spark the next opioid epidemic.

http://www.9news.com.au/national/2017/10/28/09/44/first-opiate-poppy-crop-blooms-in-new-south-wales

Probably just get more and more of it over time here, contracts money etc.

The poppies will be harvested for their opiate content, which will then be refined into morphine, codeine and thebaine – drugs used for pain relief, anti-addiction medication and palliative care.

Man that made me laugh.

Man that made me laugh.

Why? This article is for lay people and bupe is one of the best things we got going to fight against a segment of people opioid addictions. So its anti-addiction. We dont have to tear apart every piece of writing about drugs. This is just simply informative and not much else.

I know man. But it's still kinda absurd hearing it argued that the poppys are for anti addiction meds. Most of it will be used to make some of the most addictive chemicals going around. It's some serious media spin. And I find it funny.

Well bupe does come from thebaine. I get what your saying, but like it or not, we have to get opiates from somewhere. They still have legit uses.

I have no problem with it. Quite the opposite. I approve. I have no issue with it, I just find the media spin dishonest and amusing.

Unfortunately it needs to be dishonest. People are too stupid to responsibly handle the truth.

Squares, probably.
You'd be fucked working a crop like that if you used, because they only do one harvest a year and (trust me) it's hard to maintain a habit on opium pods.
It's probably too risky for people who would be tempted. I used to fucking love pod tea.