• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

The old geographical cure

chief ten beers

Bluelighter
How many times have I tried the geographical cure to be in a better place I simply could not put a number on it. I'm 49 now and I've been running from myself and using since my early 20's, this time though I know it's probably going to amount to the same thing. I simply never feel content in any one place for some reason I really don't know. But what used to be fun and adventurous feeling is now rather tiresome. I lie to myself and say it will be different this time but I know that it won't. I'll probably just drink and drug myself to death at this point. Anyone else try the geographical cure in the hopes of get straight and well and keep failing at it? They say in the program that the geographical cure simply doesn't work, I'm living proof of that, yet I keep trying. Well at this point I feel it's either suicide or move somewhere else, so I'm going to try one more probably fruitless time. But I'm tired of trying to get well, I'm weary, getting sober for good seems almost an impossible feat. I've tried so many times and keep relapsing.:?

I recently moved across the country, in large part to get away from my heroin connects back in the Midwest. It has still been very hard, staying clean. But I have, for the most part, succeeded. I think it's unrealistic to hope that a simple move will solve deep-seated problems. But it's totally plausible to me that move could be part of a successful, multi-headed strategy.

Chief, just b/c you're struggling doesn't mean you won't find a way to make it work. All of that struggle can help you learn. You never know, this move could help you in ways you hadn't thought of.

A new, more supportive environment can be really helpful. The trouble is, we tend to bring old habits to new places, and I’m not just talking about substance use. Eventually I came to the conclusion that, as I was also tired of running, that if I couldn’t deal with my problems here and now I didn’t stand a great chance of dealing with them elsewhere.

What kind of support do you have where you live right now OP? What are you struggling with? I’d really try and find local support, even if it isn’t specifically related to substance use. The biggest struggle for me was getting caught in cycles of treatment that simply didn’t work for me, and were probably never very appropriate.

I’d strongly suggest seeking out new forms of treatment. Even with alcohol use disorder, there are a lot of options out there to help you manage your symptoms (and for some drinking can definitely be a symptoms).

It might help you get a fresh start and initiate healthy living habits, but it isn't a cure. The truth is, there is no known "cure" for the disease of addiction but it can be put in remission and managed. Drugs are everywhere. If the only thing keeping you from using again is a lack of access to drugs, chances are that once you gain access you will be back in the same boat, just in another location.

It can be good to get away from people and places associated with old habits though. There are a few things to take into consideration. First, are you financially able to move and will you be able to support a long term move, or would it just be for a few months? Second, do you have a sort of support group in the new location? Moving to a new city where you don't know anyone and can't find work might be setting yourself up for failure.

For me the geographical cure is very important. I'm living outside of England and have no access to drugs where I am. As soon as I go back to England i binge. Just come off a four day bender and I can't tell you how shockingly bad I feel. I'm not going to go back until I know I'm strong enough not to use. Hell I'll move to Saudi Arabia if needs be to never feel like this again.

But that's moving out of the country which I know isn't possible for most. I agree with others that it's one useful strategy but probably won't be effective alone. Best of luck Chief.

I should also point out, despite my earlier post, a lot of my process has involved removing myself from harmful environments. That has involved moving sometimes, although moving hasn’t always solved the problem. As long as I get my supportive services organized first though, getting out of old, harmful environments or those less conducive to recovery has been a literal life saver.

I've had moderate success with geography cures but a good bit of luck is usually involved. Generally speaking the bigger the city the easier it is too find drugs. I had success limiting my use of heroin by moving to a small ass college towns and keeping too myself. On the other hand I once moved and found a heroin connect within 6 hours so yeah luck is a factor

I used to pride myself on the ability to find drugs within 24hrs of moving to any new city. Granted it’s always a major city, but still. I think this and what you were saying cj speaks to the reality that, if we want to use, chance are we are going to find a way. And for some of us it is about dealing with that reality, for which there won’t really be a perfect environment. Well, at least in terms of availability. I mean, sheesh, that’s pretty much why the idea of why a drug policy primarily focused on public safety is doomed to failure. Drugs simply aren’t going away...

I used to pride myself on the ability to find drugs within 24hrs of moving to any new city. Granted it’s always a major city, but still. I think this and what you were saying cj speaks to the reality that, if we want to use, chance are we are going to find a way. And for some of us it is about dealing with that reality, for which there won’t really be a perfect environment. Well, at least in terms of availability. I mean, sheesh, that’s pretty much why the idea of why a drug policy primarily focused on public safety is doomed to failure. Drugs simply aren’t going away...

No doubt. Where there is a will there is a way especially now that the darknet is around. At best changing geography has to be a part of multiple lifestyle changes to stay sober.