• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

abstaining

sade

Greenlighter
How long does it f for your mind and body to feel better after abstaining from quite a few substances forever? The main one being alcohol (4 days sober). Others such as 2-3 week crack binges, weed, benzos codeine but the main one being alcohol?

Give it 6 months to a year before you expect your sober self to feel "normal", supplements will help speed it up (vitamins and whatnot). For opiate users, its called Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS). Youve been fucking with your brain chemistry quite a bit, so expect it to take some time before things start to return to baseline. After using substances you also have to keep in mind the psychological aspect of it (you will always remember the high, most likely always miss it). I cant say that I ever got back to "baseline" after an extensive opiate (and anything else that would get my rocks off) habit... Its like taking acid the first time, your never the same again. Same could be said for finding out santa clause is just an idea though...

Sade, could you tell us about how much you've been drinking (and using other drugs) and for how long?

If you didn't have a physical adiction to anything I would say anywhere from a week to 90 days. Probably closer to 30 days on average. If a physical addiction was present then 90 days to as long as a year is possible

With gabaergic stuff in particular it can take quite a long time, but it all comes down to what and how you've been using for how long.

If you didn't have a physical adiction to anything I would say anywhere from a week to 90 days. Probably closer to 30 days on average. If a physical addiction was present then 90 days to as long as a year is possible

Started drinking every night at 20 and my drinking increased because of tolerance but I only used to drink at night as I had a job back then.

In December 2005 I became ill was unemployed from then on. I used to smoke weed in the day and benzo's now and then and drink at night until 2007 when I could't get hold of weed anymore I became a completely non functional morning to night drinker. I've also been on many crack binges spending at least £20,000 since 2012.

I'm on day 10 of booze because I self detoxed with valium though I kind of used them recreationally. I took 50 10mg in 3 days then bought some skunk and the last 2 days bought some blonde and black squidgy amsterdam hashish. I've also took 32 dihydrocodeine and 62 codeine using the cold water extraction today.

It's the boredom that drives me crazy!

I'm wondering the same thing. 7 years of alcohol abuse. I'm 6 days sober but am still shakey and feel like shit. I just want this to end. I guess 6 days isn't that long but it's felt like a year. I couldn't even get out of bed the first day or two.

It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you need to work on - how you're spending your time. Outside of getting blasted, what do you enjoy? Can you seek out more of it, ideally with a supportive group of people? Per my response to your other thread OP, do look into seeing a doctor to get on naltrexone or baclofen it you want pharmacotheraputic support getting/stay off the booze.

Again, the cocaine is just going to make this far more difficult. Never met anyone in your situation who was able to maintain sobriety and continue using cocaine, even if infrequently. It's just too much of a "hell of a drug" so to speak. If you feel you need stims there are far better alternatives, though frankly they probably should be avoided unless you have ADHD/ADD or some other condition that necessitates their use.

Oh the great boredom that comes after quitting your DOC.

That unpleasant feeling which seems not to go away no matter how you twiggle.

In my case I needed something to fill my days so I begin to volunteer at local food aid program and have tried to keep myself busy.

Oh and then I found my fiancee a bit over six months ago and have spend a lot time with her since going to first date. Even so much that it keeps me not using bluelight so frequently as I used to...

But I have to add that writing to bluelight helped me s lot on my journey as well all the friendly people here such as Toothpastedog.

For me two weeks is what it takes to begin to feel normal no matter the substance. You can expect some PAWS for a couple months but they should be mostly in your head.