• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Drug use in South Africa takes dangerous turn as addicts share blood in 'Bluetooth' t

poledriver

Bluelighter
Drug use in South Africa takes dangerous turn as addicts share blood in 'Bluetooth' trend

Young drug addicts in South Africa are using a dangerous practice to share their high. It's nicknamed 'Bluetooth'.

Addicts inject themselves with heroin, then draw their own blood back up the syringe and inject it into a friend.

'Bluetooth' carries a high risk of transmission of HIV, hepatitis and other diseases. But many of the young people doing it say they no longer care about their lives.

Africa correspondent Sally Sara reports from the township of Diepsloot, near Johannesburg.

Warning: this story contains graphic content.

A man stands outside wearing a Qantas pyjama top, watering the dirt road to keep the dust down. I point at the kangaroo logo and tell him it's from Australia. He shrugs his shoulders and smiles. I don't know how the pyjamas got all the way here. It's a bit like the way many people end up in Diepsloot. No-one really planned it. But, once they are here, it's difficult to get out.

The township began in 1995. Its first residents were brought here from the riverbanks in Alexandra township in Johannesburg, where their shacks were at risk of flooding. The government promised them a better life, but it hasn't come true for most. The townhouses and malls of suburban Johannesburg are growing closer to Diepsloot, but in some ways their opportunities seem further away.

Young women sit on plastic crates, drinking beer and cheering on the Qantas pyjama man as he waters the street.

"Ay wena! Hey you. Come, you must clean my shack next," she says.

The other women clap their hands and throw their heads back in laughter. It's only 11:00am, but the smell of beer is already strong around the township on a Sunday. There are sharp divisions on this day of the week. The beer drinkers sit in circles outside their shacks. The churchgoers are dressed in white and blue robes, some carrying wooden crosses. Drink or pray — that's the choice.

But in a garage across the road there's something else going on. Three young men sit huddled around a flickering candle in a makeshift garage. There's something secretive about it. Part excitement, part fear.

Continued with pics -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-...rganic&WT.tsrc=Facebook_Organic&sf107897398=1

Reminiscent of booting, although it takes it to another level. There are some odd drug using practices out there (people tend to engage in incredibly dangerous practices under the right conditions), but I cannot imagine that this is widespread in any way. For one thing blood begins to coagulate very quickly without an anticlotting factor so this kind of practice would be not just incredibly dangerous, but incredibly difficult/ineffective as a drug using practice.

Sounds more like media fear mongering than anything of real substance fwiw though.

The only kick you could possibly get from this would be due to a placebo effect.

Hey Poledriver I am from SA and I haven't heard about this trend.

That doesn't surprise me BTS. As TPD mentioned it is probably media fear mongering and sensationalism. All media 'news' should be taken with a grain of salt imo.

Reminiscent of booting, although it takes it to another level. There are some odd drug using practices out there (people tend to engage in incredibly dangerous practices under the right conditions), but I cannot imagine that this is widespread in any way. For one thing blood begins to coagulate very quickly without an anticlotting factor so this kind of practice would be not just incredibly dangerous, but incredibly difficult/ineffective as a drug using practice.

Sounds more like media fear mongering than anything of real substance fwiw though.

Indeed.
It coagulates quite quickly - I didn't know SA even had heroin, idk for sure.

I've seen people do this here in the states. Fucking dumb

Booting (for those unfamiliar this is injecting a substance IV, then with the needle still properly inserted in the vein blood is drawn into the syringe's barrel and then pushed back into the circulatory system via the same syringe one to three more times) is indeed a nasty habit to get into, but in terms of desperately wanting to get the most out of one's gear (the idea as I understand it is partly to extract any of the substance left in the barrel/head of the syringe) I can sympathize. I feel like booting itself can become an habit forming activity for the rare individual, regardless of whether it actually gets more out of your drugs or not (if it gets anything extra out of the drug use it is minimal to nothing in terms of pharmacological effects).

However, at the risk of repeating myself, this is an incredibly dangerous practice with any drug, and all the more so when there is an intense rush associated with IV use (heroin, cocaine, methamp, etc, very intense rushing), where even just the removal of the syringe after injection can be difficult enough. One of the most surefire ways to contract blood born illnesses like HCV and HIV (booting significantly raises the risk of HIV transmission), not to mention issues with the circulatory system more generally.

Booting into another user brings the level of risk to an entirely new level however, like unimaginably higher than sharing injection equipment. That all said, this is a very rarely used practice (booting that is). Even among hardcore users it is uncommon to meet someone who regularly does this, at least IME. Which is why I find the article to be more pandering to the fear monger than anything more substantiated.

I don't know what this is, but I've known more folks from the U.K. scene who practice this than Americans. It's probably more a reflection of the circles I run in though, as I've met plenty of Americans and Canadian users who have done this. But for whatever reason I associate it with stories I've heard from British smack users during the last few decades of the 20th century.

Last edited by a moderator:
This can't possibly work. I dont feel like doing the math right now but based on my days working as a toxicologist I would say a person is injecting a few nanograms of drug if they do a 1 mL injection of someone else blood that took several dozen milligrams of drug X...which is about 0.000000001 of a dose worth of drug roughly assuming a dose of a drug is 10 mg

Last edited:
I think that could be the leftover left in the syringe, that's the only plausible way to a fraction of what injected, rather than the blood itself. Crack or coke can provoke this sort of desperate craving IMO.

Btw, I thought that SA, like few countries in Suuth American didn't have heroin. Plenty of opiates though. It's a safer place to live if you want heroin out of your life. Some friends I know moved away to places where they couldn't be tempted, and even if they were it would not be possible to get your DOC.

I think that is the idea with booting, to get like for sure literally ALL the junk out of the rig entirely (again, this would be basically pointless given the amount of the actual substance left in the barrel). But I associate it more with compulsively and perhaps the desperation some kinds of drug use tend to associate with (cocaine is a perfect example). More associated with some of the potential harmful consequences of drug use than anything - I mean, some users might feel like they get more out of their dose with way, but I tend to believe they're misassociating any somatic effects with those more directly related to the initial rush/injection. And that is a kind of compulsion that can make harm drug use, well, really harmful.

There is definitely dope in South Africa, but its use is extremely limit to certain areas from what I understand. Which South American countries are you thinking of Erik? I don't have much knowledge about real world drug use outside of maybe Brazil, but I am aware cocaine is far more common than heroin for most of Latin America as a general rule (with some exceptions like Columbia (these days with the whole FARC things and other steps they've taken over the last decade) and parts of Mexico, others I'm sure)? But yeah I'd be curious to hear more about regional patterns.

Indeed.
It coagulates quite quickly - I didn't know SA even had heroin, idk for sure.

There is heroin here -
Where I stay in SA they call it sugars (its almost like off cuts and the crap left over from heroin) - this is the most common kind and its smoked not injected as far as I know