• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - A secret, supervised place where users can inject drugs has been operating...

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
A secret, supervised place where users can inject drugs has been operating in the U.S. for three years
Lenny Bernstein
The Washington Post
August 8th, 2017

Somewhere in a U.S. city, a small nonprofit organization has been hosting a secret site where users can inject drugs under the supervision of trained staff who provide clean needles and guard against overdoses, researchers said Tuesday.

The site, which is illegal under federal law, has been operating for three years, according to a paper published in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine. It is part of the “harm reduction” strategy adopted by 98 facilities in 10 other countries where supervised injection sites operate legally.

The controversial approach has been debated in the United States for many years, but it is gaining popularity in some places as the number of overdose deaths from illegal drugs continues to skyrocket. California, New York City, Boston and Ithaca, N.Y., are exploring the idea. The county that includes Seattle has approved opening two locations.

“The whole country knows this is a crisis. We need some new solutions,” said Alex Kral, an epidemiologist for RTI International who revealed the program in a commentary Tuesday. “We need innovation at this point. This is not innovation out of thin air. This is innovation that’s been proven.”

More than 52,000 people died of drug overdoses in the United States in 2015, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Data released Tuesday by the National Center for Health Statistics show that number may rise sharply, to about 60,000, when final totals are available for 2016.

Read the full story here.

Guess it's not a secret anymore jk

This is great to hear tho...I'm not a socialedia person, I have fb and that's it. I don't even have the msgr app part installed, I basically use it to repost Simpson shitpost memes...but one of the group's I belong to is one for people who live in a suburb right on Baltimore City county line on the east side..

anyways a woman posted a pic of a rig thay she found in her all, thing had no markings on it bc it had been used dozens of times, but you should have seen the hate that was thrown at me when I said there needs to be a safe site/ hr centre where they give clean works, have trained staff with narcan in case of an od and ppl trying to genuinely help addicts get into treatment ect...but my point to the group was get a place like this and do one for one exchange like the roving needle ex rv in the city..

So that way if you need a spike and don't have used ones you can pick up a used one (it's Baltimore and they line the gutters just about everywhere)

Ppl we're " I'm sick and tired of ppl helping these scumbags call the cops have them deal with it. Told this asshole would you rather our already thin stretched pd out picking up rigs and arresting junkies with a few dimes or getting all the burners and violent criminals off the street..no response..

People in Baltimore more often than not have a friend family member or someone who knows someone who is a junkie. When I was a junkie I'd never drop my shit like that, I actually had a Sharp's container. And when it was full I'd take it to the exchange and they would put it in their big one and send .e on my way with new ones...for banging ten years my arms only have a few tracks, never had to share and never got anything like help or worse..

For ppl that live in the per capita heroin of the country lots of close minded assholes

...ppl bitching like u said are honestly just jealous they don't get to be high BC they are too scared. It's like saying u hope the guy having sex with gorgeous prostittures every night gets AIDS...u secretly are jealous of the pleasure

The studies are absolutely clear that they save lives and get people into treatment. The only reason they are not legal is politics and the failed war on drugs. Anyway I'm sure Jeff Sessions is already working on finding and shutting the place down as if it will accomplish anything.

This is one of the most interesting articles I have read in a while. At first I did not believe what I was reading. I am not sure how I feel about this idea. On one hand, I can see where it could save lives, and on the other I am thinking this encourages drug use. Either way though, history shows us somewhat that when you allow people to do something, the crime rate in that area goes down. I am sure it will get shut down though, if there is not a way we can tax it, or make a ton of money off of it unfortunately.

This is one of the most interesting articles I have read in a while. At first I did not believe what I was reading. I am not sure how I feel about this idea. On one hand, I can see where it could save lives, and on the other I am thinking this encourages drug use. Either way though, history shows us somewhat that when you allow people to do something, the crime rate in that area goes down. I am sure it will get shut down though, if there is not a way we can tax it, or make a ton of money off of it unfortunately.

encourage them to use drugs? you've obviously never done heroin, nobody decides "oh I'm not going to use this heroin bag i'm staring at today and just be in withdrawals and piss out my ass because I'm worried this heroin might be dangeroius"

there is nothing more to encourage because not pissing out your ass for a week straigh or not feeling like a knife is stick in your spinal cord if you do heroin due to back pain is all the encouragment ppl need.

encourage them to use drugs? you've obviously never done heroin, nobody decides "oh I'm not going to use this heroin bag i'm staring at today and just be in withdrawals and piss out my ass because I'm worried this heroin might be dangeroius"

there is nothing more to encourage because not pissing out your ass for a week straigh or not feeling like a knife is stick in your spinal cord if you do heroin due to back pain is all the encouragment ppl need.

Truth