• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

molakelover

molakelover

Greenlighter
Hi all. I am new to this forum and hoping to find help for my son. I have been through my husband being hooked on crack for MANY years, and that is over now thank goodness. My youngest son is addicted to oxycodone and has been recently talking with me about it. I told him I would stand by him and we will do what is needed to help him get through this. He is starting a new job in 2 days so in patient treatment is next to impossible and he does not have insurance yet so even dr. appointments and prescription meds are out of reach. Also doctors will prescribe something that you will need to withdrawl from. We have gotten the "Calm Support" and was wondering/ hoping that someone has had experience with this. Everything I have found on websites are very limited. The dosage for calm support is 1 in the morning and 1 in the evening. Has anyone had an experience with it, should he take a little more and is there something he could use in conjunction with this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi molakelover, and welcome. I am moving your thread to Sober Living in the hopes of getting responses from others with direct experience. Your son is lucky to have your support and understanding.

Hi, molakelover...I second herby's welcome and her statement that your son is lucky to have you in his corner. You're doing a wonderful thing by supporting him.

I don't have personal experience with Calm Support. From what I know about it, it doesn't seem like it can hurt anything to try it, so by all means, move forward with that.

But I wanted to stress two points.

First, moving past addiction is a life-changing event, as you know from your experience with your husband. By life-changing, I mean both that it changes our lives AND that we have to change our lives to make it happen. With that in mind, I strongly suggest an 'all of the above' approach to addressing this issue. Calm Support is a fine start. But I encourage you to supplement that with other tools and resources, both medical and behavioral. From a behavioral standpoint, I understand that inpatient rehab is not in the cards right now. Would it be possible to try an outpatient program? Those can be quite effective. Maybe your son could get on Medicaid to help cover the costs (I'm assuming you're in the US). If that kind of treatment is out of reach, there are free options. 12-step groups are the most well known of these, though they are not for everyone. If something like NA isn't in the cards, there are alternatives such as SMART recovery and Refuge Recovery, among others. These kinds of groups can really help initiate change and help with motivation. They aren't cure-alls by any means. But something that will get your son talking and thinking about WHY he uses is likely to be very important.

Second, I do encourage you to give medication-assisted therapies such as suboxone a second consideration. It's a common concern that these therapies are simply kicking the can down the road, trading one addiction for another. But the physical dependency that comes with, say, suboxone or methadone, is very different from full-blown addiction 'in the wild.' These medications really are the state of the art in terms of treating opioid dependence disorder. They can bring a crucial level of stability to a person's life, allowing them to address the underlying impulses that drive their addiction. With these impulses treated, and under the care of a doctor, coming off MAT is little different than coming off many other long-term medications. If you want to maximize your son's chances of putting his addiction behind him, I strongly recommend doing a bit of research on suboxone or similar meds (I'm happy to discuss suboxone vs methadone etc.).

Now, with all this said, these are very personal decisions. And finances do dictate some of them for us. I don't want you to think I'm second-guessing your plans. Whatever you and your son decide to do, he's going to be in a good position because his family supports him.

Your biggest challenge OP isn't actually your son, it's how you are going to find the support you need to provide the kind of compassionate, gentle and open minded support your son will need from your support. However, in terms of what your son needs or may benefit from, consider the following:

Without the proper medication, you son is going to have a very tough time if he just stops taking opioids. I'm thinking of the new job. Frankly, he's likely to start using again if he stops (or already has) for that. Without the right medication, this is very likely.

Calm Support is not the right medication. Medication prescribed to treat the opioid detox and early period of abstinence include: gapabentin, clonidine, buprenorphine, methadone, diazepam, baclofen, loperamide, etc. There is no reason he shouldn't be working with a doctor on detoxing and addressing his mental health/substance use disorder condition(s).

Don't expect anything significant from products like Calm Support. Short of kratom, DXM and loperamide, OTC meds and supplements are of very limited value in this process. When push comes to shove, the biggest benefits of detox remedies like Calm Support are largely placebo (then again, this shouldn't be underestimated). Other than that's their claims are entirely marketing.

What is it your youngest son wants in terms of his drug use OP? Has he expressed he wishes with you, and in particular how he wants to try and address his problems? As a general rule, being open and supportive of his wishes in terms of recovery/life are some of the best ways someone can help a loved one struggling with substance use. If you want to be supportive of your son, you'll have to be very respectful of his wishes and goal in this, and to avoid organizing his treatment or recovery for him.

Whatever you do, I'd suggest educating yourself about ORT (buprenorphine and methadone in the US). Please visit the SL Directory to learn more about these treatments, particularly https://www.naabt.org/faq_answers.cfm?ID=1 and https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxuNdydJNzUmV0hqZjRzd2hYRFk/view.

It is important to echo that treatments like methadone and buprenorphine ARE NOT at all like trading one addiction for another. It's not even accurate to say that it's comparable to trading one dependency for another, at least not for the vast majority. Idea like those are little more than the product of misunderstanding, corrupted messages of abstinence only based approaches to recovery and generally folks who do not understand the first thing about treating opioid use disorder.

I will caution you that working to support family can be INCREDIBLY challenging but incredibly rewarding as well. It will however likely require you work on your own misconceptions surrounding substance use however, not to mention all the baggage than family - for better and worse - bring to the equation when trying to support their loved ones.

Please don't get the wrong idea. Family members who really stand by their loved ones, particularly their children, are indeed saints. So many families are far too quick in my culture to disown (whether completely or more subtly) their loved ones once they learn of their struggles with drug use or identify them as an addict. Recovery is very often a process of coming of age (in fact, it is really best thought of as a developmental process), particularly for younger folks. Families who provide a safe space for their loves ones to figure their own process out are not the norm, and deserve tremendous credit.

Speaking of the nature of recovery, you should definitely read Maia Szalavitzs' book Unbroken Brain. It will give you a really great understanding of what your son is going through, even if you've been through something similar with your husband before.

And on that note, I'd also suggest giving this entire thread a read: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...ddicted-to-Heroin—And-Shaming-Me-Doesn-t-Help

Last edited by a moderator: