• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

HOW DO I QUIT? Dont wanna loose kids

sodapop

Greenlighter
NEED TO QUIT TODAY& I AM DESEPERATE.Please forgive my lack of punctuation & poor speeling etc.
OK so I really really need help.I like a lot of others have become addicted to heroine after seeing a doc & being oxy.Basically I Have Been In Some Accidents Doc Had Me On 60-90 Mr Rox I Every 4-6 Hrs.1 day doc decided no more pain mess sorry Se ya later no taper. Well I had already been abusing my meds.I sometimes would do 300 my a dose snorted.I would also do 8 beans of H if no oxy & a total of 20-30 a day.Actually started winging myself down b4 doc stood meds.No H for 2 months got down to 4-6 300 roxi a day when got the news I got down to 45 mgs 1 half a 30 & 1 whole later.
Never made it lower ran out went back to H.Now I really want to quit.I have kids, half lost my dignity, my money , toys, ability to work or be decent&almost my wife who is trying her hardest to keep us together. Ins dropped me the day I saw the sub Dr who was not nice gave me a ex for 2 8 my subs a day which I cannot afford with seeing him& all.
Now if I go cold turkey will I be out for long.Can do 10 a shot but veins are so ruined no point. Afraid subs won't work, afraid after reading the subs will be harder to get off of.What do I do? Try a H wing or try subs&wing? Doc says I'll need Em rest of my life didn't have me come in during wd & I Can Tell Wont By Much Help. I HATE MYSELF BUT LOVE MY WIFE&KIDS.I have spent a very long time in prison & had my life on track before all of this.I want to be a good person again.Any ideas?

Do subs seem to work for you? If so, I would recommend trying to stabilize in subs and, once life has gotten less chaotic, doing a doc-supervised sub taper.

If the subs are too expensive, you can ask your doc for generic subutex, which are very cheap.

If the subs don't cut if for you, my next suggestion would be considering methadone.

Basically, some sort of ORT will really increase your chances of getting back to a normal life, a life that your kids can safely be a part of.

^^Great advice. This is the bottom line.

Subs or methadone will give you a chance to catch your breath, and get stability back into your life.

You begin them knowing they're a means to an end. After you're on whatever you choose-and have some distance from heroin - you begin a very slow, professionally supervised taper. Cross this bridge when you get to it. There are many comfort meds to help.

You will regain all that you have lost during your addiction. You'll feel pride in yourself again. It's a process that requires dedication. If we can put all that energy into dope-we can put it into recovering.

Toothpastedog has successfully (and very happily) done the above. I'm sure he'll be here soon to share his experience. In the meantime, you may want to look at some of his threads and posts.

You can do this and get your life back. I wish you all the best.

First of all I emphasize for you and the situation you're in. One big plus is that you want to end it. Methadone is provided on a sliding scale depending on income,if you have access. If not once uou stabilize on subs 4mgs will hoold you.
Taper once you have your shit together or if necessary maintain on a low dose. Look at what you're spending on dope.

You can do this. It sounds like this is your rock bottom. You need to take a few days off to detox then find yourself a rehab or support group. Talk to a professional ASAP and start making plans to quit. Set a date, make plans, start to journal. Write out what you want in your life and imagine what your life will be like once you are sober. Do you want to go back to school or start a career? Do you want to be a good father and husband? All these things are so much more possible when you free yourself from addiction. In the mean time, reach out to those online. Call or text a crisis hotline. Good luck!

Didn't see Any of the replies. But thanks, anyways I just went Ahead went cold turkey 5 weeks clean! It sacked but worth it.

First of all I emphasize for you and the situation you're in. One big plus is that you want to end it. Methadone is provided on a sliding scale depending on income,if you have access. If not once uou stabilize on subs 4mgs will hoold you.
Taper once you have your shit together or if necessary maintain on a low dose. Look at what you're spending on dope.
The sliding scale is very dependent on where you live. There is no financial help available in my state besides Medicaid. But I do agree that maintenance is a good idea.

Even when I have been doing dope for years with a wicked high tolerance, subs worked for me. Many people I know who it didnt work for, I *believe* they took th subs too early and went into precipitated withdrawal. induction is important. ive screwed it up several times not following induction to a tee. but im no doctor and everyone is different. around I can find a sub dr for <snip> first apt and much less for followups.

<snip>

then go heri and get a savings card. with insurance the copay is no more than <snip>. without insurance its up to <snip> off <snip>.

if you cant afford it and cant borrow it (keep in mind one or two days worth of dope will pay for a month of treatment). then I would say go to a clinic that has subs. you will have to go everyday but its much cheaper upfront. if they dont have that option you may have to go to methadone. either one does have longer withdrawal than dope, that is true. but rather than 5 days of absolute hell it is a comfortable couple weeks/months/whatever you decide and can get your life on track near immediately . perhaps you are strong enough to go cold turkey. I am not and 99% are not (other than unique situations like being locked up). perhaps you are the one % who can but I would much rather so it medically. and tapering down with dope doesnt work. dont lie to yourself. with how short acting dope is, how variable the cut and size is, its a guessing game and near impossible. good luck you can find a way

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the best news, sodapop! Excellent, excellent stuff!

Like the other guys said, I would try subs or methadone and taper off of that. Best of luck to you! =D

Simple, maybe. But for most of us, overcoming addiction is far from easy. It's been the hardest thing I've ever done.

It has defined my life up until this point. There are many reasons for using and u must address and answer them all.

Simple, maybe. But for most of us, overcoming addiction is far from easy. It's been the hardest thing I've ever done.

That is the crux of it. Overcoming addiction involved far more than just overcome drug specific issues. It's more like overcoming the causes and conditions of our lives IMHO. Anyone can do it, and it's easier for some than it is others, but that is kinda beside the point. It takes effort and learning the meaning of resiliency (which requires making peace with the fallacy of the human condition, learning to turn obstacles into challenges into oppertunities - and that is a very learned process generally requiring quite a bit of false starts, failures and practice).

/rant :)