• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.K. - The rise of super-strength [ecstasy] pills

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
‘Five friends go out and take ecstasy, one doesn’t come home’: the rise of super-strength pills
Will Coldwell
The Guardian
July 22nd, 2017

In a small, square garden behind a terraced house in Liverpool, Michelle Shevlin is showing me the tattoo she got soon after her only daughter died. “It already had the ‘Stephanie’,” she says, pointing to the name etched across her wrist. “Then I got the text of a Mother’s Day card she gave me: ‘A daughter holds your hand for a while, but holds your heart for ever.’”

Her partner, Sharon Taylor, nods. Her forearm also bears a new inscription – “I didn’t give you the gift of life, life gave me the gift of you” – as does the small shed, half bar, half tiki stand, squeezed into the garden behind her. A plaque is screwed to the front: “In loving memory of Stephanie Jade Shevlin, 1993-2016. Forever watching over us. So drink up and dance.”

They remember the Saturday night Stephanie died; it was only hours after they had started building the bar. Michelle had gone to bed early. Just before 1am, she got a phone call from the hospital. They drove there immediately, but she didn’t make it in time to see her daughter alive.

Stephanie died in the early hours of 5 June last year after taking ecstasy on a night out. The 22-year-old had gone to the Box nightclub in Crewe for a rave called Core Blimey with her girlfriend of five years, Ann Roberts, and a small group of friends. Ann speaks quietly as she recounts the events of that night. She says she is unhappy that previous news reports made Stephanie out to be “a druggie”. “We only did a summer rave and a new year’s one,” she says. “That was it. Twice a year.”

The group bought pills from “some lads” they met that night. “We took our first half in the toilet and another one on the dance floor,” Ann says. “We all took the same amount.” At around midnight, Ann says, the group began to notice Stephanie go “a bit funny, falling around everywhere”. That was when an ambulance was called. It is difficult for her to describe the journey to the hospital. “She couldn’t even respond to me,” she says, her voice growing quieter. Stephanie died later that night.

Read the full story here.

According to figures released by the ONS towards the end of 2016, deaths linked to ecstasy or MDMA are at their highest level in a decade. In 2010, there were eight; in 2015, the count was 57.

This is quite an alarming increase. However, I would not be so quick to pin it on an increase in MDMA purity as this article is suggesting. Although there are rare exceptions, almost all MDMA-related deaths occur after the ingestion of multiple substances. The England and Wales statistics aren't granular enough to show this, but the analogous Scottish data are. Out of 15 deaths in 2015 that were determined to have involved MDMA, all but one of them occurred after the use of MDMA in combination with at least one other drug (without even counting alcohol).

I actually rolled twice in the past week bc I had access to very pure reagent tested Molly from NL and it reminded me why I don't like to roll. It was amazing gear no doubt, no comedown, but felt off the next day..and I only took like 120mgs the first then like 100 a week later.

Some of the pills I see on edata are scary high dosed. I think the highest I saw was a burger king w like close to 300mgs...that's way too much. What if you decide to double drop? Plus iirc the pills didn't have scores on the back.