• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Guide to Quitting Opioids

Bishwj

Greenlighter
Hey all. First off, if you're looking at this, it's your time to shine. I want to let you all know that kicking these little devils is possible. And here is my proven guide to doing so. Let's check out your shopping list, then I will list (my experience) and most others who have or are kicking the pain killers.

Shopping list:
1. A strong sedative, either NyQuil, robutussin, or a benzo. These are going to help you relax and get some rest.
2. One a day vitamins. You won't want to eat, you may even throw up what you have. You need to replenish a good source of all in one vitamins.
3. Food: stay away from spicy greasy foods. Instead opt for granola, cereal, or dry items. Soups are also good. Remember, you will be pushing out what you put in, and it will come in liquid form. The drier the food the less liquid you will push out. Get creative here. And always drink water or Gatorade, the number one mistake is dehydration.
4. Comfort: one bed is nice, but you will become restless. Moving to another spot resets your comfort zone. It's always good to have clean and plush sheets and blankets.
5. Medicine: Tylenol works best. But what works even better is Kratom. A tea leaf that almost irradicates the pain. Get Kratom in a small vial concentrated form. This has proven to take all the pain away. You will also want a benzo like Xanax. This will help you sleep and keep from shaking.

Now onto my experience kicking the habit. I am 24 years old 180lbs starting and was taking 100-200 mg of oxycodone per day. I halted it. (Be ware, everyone experiences this differently, I am not responsible for what and where you decide to start. This is simply a friendly guide via my own experience. Consult with a doctor before taking any medications. Again I am not responsible for what happens to you, this is simply non professional friendly advice)

Now onto the experience.

Day 1. After a full 24 hours, I have begun to experience harsh symptoms. I actually gave in and took some medicine. It helped me sleep that night but the next day was much worse. I stayed in bed all day. Didn't eat much.

Day2. This was probably the worst day, I was restless, couldn't eat. And just wanted to sleep. Body aches, sweating, fever, nausea. I had to attempt to stay hydrated.

Day 3. Symptoms began to go away, however I couldn't bear it anymore. I took half of a pill, 15mg. Felt normal then a Xanax to go to sleep after a movie.

Day 4. The Xanax from the night before wore off within 2 hours. I was up until 3am tossing and punching. I took a quarter 7.5mg to sleep. I slept till 9am. The symptoms continued. So I took Kratom concentrate. All pain and symptoms gone, back to normal.

Day 5. Still feel odd but mostly done. Still restless, it will be like that for at least a month.

This was my experience. I hope this helps anyone in need as I too have searched blue light for help. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. I am here for you all. Good luck to you and pray.

Hey, Bishwj. Thanks for the detailed post. Most of what you've written comports pretty well with standard best practices in managing acute opioid withdrawal symptoms. I'd only add two little comments.

First, kratom can be a wonderful help. But it's important to give it the respect it deserves, as it's very possible to become both physically and psychologically dependent on kratom. I'm not saying not to use it. But be careful with it.

Second, there are a couple other comfort meds that can make a big difference. Clonidine is a blood pressure medication that can help regulate the hot/cold flashes during acute WDs. Second, gabapentin and/or baclofen can help manage some of the mood and sleep issues that come with the territory.

...and huge congrats on your quit, Bishwj!

Thanks a bunch simco! I finally did it I can't believe it! I'm well aware of the Kratom dependencies. I took a concentrated shot today to ease what was remaining, and will probably take half that tomorrow during work. I really appreciate your support and I hope others in need will look to this thread and read what we have wrote.

Ibuprofen is far and away more effective for most people than APAP/Tylenol FYI. Some studies have indicated 800mg of IBU is more effective with analgesia than one 5/500mg Vicodin. Pretty crazy.

And as simco noted, clonidine and gabapentin (and buprenorphine if that isn't what one is detoxing from) are than standard medications doctors use to treat acute opioid withdrawal.

I found spicy stuff to actually be great once my GI system stabilized a bit. But I enjoy it to begin with.

But most of all, great work OP! Do you have any plans on what your next steps will be post detox?

Hey thats a pretty nice guide you put together bishwj. I see more guys detox cold turkey and usually end up going back out to get high, so by tapering with kratom would be a really wise idea. I have used a mix of melatonin and kavakava back when i was coming off of heroin, and it seemed to do the trick before i even knew what kratom was.

Great posts guys. So I relapsed just now. My herniated dics caused me to do so. I only took 15mg and it took the pain away and I'll get a good nights sleep for once in these two weeks. I know it sucks that I did do one, but, I have been in excruciating pain for the past week. I'm just now getting into the swing of things and I'm praying to god that what I just took won't make me withdrawal. If it does there's always Kratom but you can actually withdrawal from that too. So I eventually taperd off the Kratom in the past week. A lot of good things are coming back to my head, I've made 5 rough draft songs so far. The key is to keep busy then rest. Then keep busy. I might post another thread explaining more in depth about the two week process I went through. These threads on here are so helpful and encouraging I love being apart of it. Tomorrow I'll try to write if I feel withdrawal or not. I'm 24 172lbs now, if that helps anyone out. If I could I'd post my email so I could see when someone replys. But I think that may be dangerous on here. Anyway, that's where I am now! I realized with no pain there is no gain. So I will come out better than ever before in my life because of this pain. Let me know if you have anymore questions! I'm here to help and give solid advice.