• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Dilaudid detox

Bluebird78

Greenlighter
Started a dilaudid taper today, and im scared as hell. I have enoigj to taper for about 6 days and i have put myself on a schedule. My question is how bad will i feel? I jave been snorting 16-20mg a day for about 3 months, but it was only about 10-12 mg untila few weeks ago when I aquired a large quantity of dilaudid. No one knows i do this! I have to detox without anyone knowing, i will say om just sick. I am a recovering iv heroin iser, so i know withdrawal can be unbearable. But will dilaudid be that bad???, help, so nervous!

It won't be horrible but there will be withdrawals. I find the fear ends up being greater than the reality though.

You have a few things going for you. You're experienced, and you have a taper plan, and you seem to respect that.

So how can you make it even easier? Can you stretch a 6 day taper to 8 or 9 days? I use a calendar and literally plot it out. Potentiate naturally to help with this. Play any games you can to stretch it. If you wait 8 hours to dose, wait 9 or 10 hours. If your dose is 4mg, try 3.5 and save the other half a milligram. When you feel like withdrawals are coming on, go out for a long walk, exercise, take s hot bath, anything you can do to wait as long as you can. At night, try taking a lower dose but add a sleep aid like nytol (or half of one). If you get up in the middle of the night, try a nytol or 2 instead of dosing.

Drink detox teas in between doses, start cleaning yourself out. Try oral instead of sniffing, especially for a bedtime dose.

If you can get just a little bit of suboxone, and when you finish all of your dil, wait as long as you possibly can (48 hours?), and take hust enough suboxone to help, you should already be in much better shape, im talking maybe 1 milligram, but immediately taper subs, going from 1mg to 0 in like a week. Even 1/4mg, 1/8milligram in the final days.

And, know that you can do it, trust the process, and that it will be alright.

Bluebird, do you have any comfort meds available? A few things that will help a lot:
* clonidine
* gabapentin
* something in the benzodiazepine family like diazepam or clonazepam
* loperamide (brand name Immodium in the US)

Loperamide is available over the counter in the US. The other meds require a prescription.

You don't necessarily need all of these meds. But they really will help soften the acute WD symptoms if you can get them.

Started a dilaudid taper today, and im scared as hell. I have enoigj to taper for about 6 days and i have put myself on a schedule. My question is how bad will i feel? I jave been snorting 16-20mg a day for about 3 months, but it was only about 10-12 mg untila few weeks ago when I aquired a large quantity of dilaudid. No one knows i do this! I have to detox without anyone knowing, i will say om just sick. I am a recovering iv heroin iser, so i know withdrawal can be unbearable. But will dilaudid be that bad???, help, so nervous!

If you have been using opioids for a while (sounds like you have), you will know better than anyone else how bad the withdrawal will be. I'm trying to say that it's really, really hard for someone to tell one person what their kick will be. There are so many factors involved, so anything outside a few very general traits of acute opioid withdrawal generally may or may not be what you experience.

A good way to figure out what the withdrawal will be like for you is to go off your past experience with it. Expect your kick from the hydromorphone to be a lot like if you were kicking a heroin habit of the same intensity and duration.

There are lots of comfort meds and things you can do to help mitigate the acute withdrawal. With the right meds you can probably get away with continuing to hide your substance use issues from others (although without support from others in some way-shape-or-form lasting recovery may remain illusive).

I have lots available. I have xanax, valium and clonopine. Also, gabapentin, lyrica and nucynta.. (i can get amybe 2,or 3,nucynta. Im just nervous bc no one knows and i jave to still be mom... Ugh i hate that i let myself get into this mess. I was sober for 16 years

I have lots available. I have xanax, valium and clonopine. Also, gabapentin, lyrica and nucynta.. (i can get amybe 2,or 3,nucynta. Im just nervous bc no one knows and i jave to still be mom... Ugh i hate that i let myself get into this mess. I was sober for 16 years

ambye = ambien?

Stay strong! I always look up to parents who are going to quit :)

Lol, no... Maybe, spelled incorrectly. I just want to not have any availability. I know how to live without drugs. Its much easier

I relate to a lot of what you are going through Bluebird. I'm fighting slightly different DOC's than you. I also am trying to do this while mothering 3 children. Please keep your thread updated with your progress. I routing for you.

Jane

Step down your doses, slowly. I detoxed dillies over two weeks and it was painless at the end.

shouldnt be too bad. Diladud is at least kind of a natural opiate to detox off and your just snorting them.

Hi Jane. I also have 3. Im lucky kn the sense they are older. 2 are teenagers. Thankfully im not changing diapera or chasing a toddler. If im "sick" they can take care of themselves. I have a husband as well who can do stuff. So my plan is if and when the withdrawals hit, i will be "sick" woth some sort of virus the kids dragged home. I have managed to plan that when we habe nothing going on. School is done today and no activities until the 19 that i need to do. So i will be done by then. Just so scared bc i will be getting 90 more dilaudid on the 15. I have to bw strong enough to not take them.... But one thing ata a time right now. Bless you Jane... This is a nightmare

Thanks, i haven't had any for about 12 hours... I feel fine, legs are a little achy/restless, but other than that nothing. So not like heroin!

How you doing now? It usually takes about a day to start. No its not as bad as heroin. Its also a faster detox. waait what your getting 90 on 15th? Why are you even detoxing then? Sounds like a waste of energy to me. If your not going to stop getting them, how are you going to stop taking them?

Bluebird, may I suggest that you not pick up your script on the 15th. It's very early in your recovery and 99.9% of the addicts I know are not capable of having a supply of their DOC while trying to get their head right. It's too easy to have "just one to feel better" which leads right back to where they started. My youngest C3 is only four and requires a lot from mommy still.

I am getting more on he 15 but i dont want to do them anymore. Im not going to make it until then anyways so i might as well be done with them. And i know its hard to even have them around. But i have always been around narcotics and been able to resist them. I like being off drugs, its easier. I know it will require a tremendous amount of willpower to not do them and i am going to give it my best. Thats all i can do. Im detoxing now because it fits my schedule honestly. If i relapse, ill be in the same position in another 3 weeks anyway and i may not be able to have a hassle free detox. By hassle free i mean schedule wise. I really do know how to live without them. I want that life back. This is nothing but a vicious cycle that needs to be broken at some point. The dilaudid may not stop being available, but i have to stop abusing it. I feel like shit right now and cant take anymore for a few hours. Im out of town. I have an emergency vicodan but im gonna try to go without... Eh we shall see.

At least you're just snorting them, not banging them(like I was), that should help. My goddamn doc wouldn't give me a non-abusable painkiller until I did his surgeries....I would suggest that if you're still going to need pain medication, get something else....

Um, its actually for a family member who doesn't really need them. So its not up to me what he gets. I have no pain. I guess i just like opiates. I was a rarity in rehab as NOT being duel diagnosis. Besides pot a few times i never did drugs until heroin. And i never snorted that... I started with mainlining. Now here i am and i hate it. God i hate this. I hate feeling like something else is controlling me. I want to wake up and feel refreshed and energetic. Not feigning for a fix. I am not being a great mom right now and thays not fait to my kids at all. They didn't ask for a junkie mommy. People think they know what addicts are like.... And they dont.

Day one of massive detox. Using xanax valium and clonopin to help. Had 6mg of dilaudid today. Usually up to about 12 by now. I only hav 2mg left. I feel okish. Achy lethargic. Ill use xanax to sleep, shit knocks me out. So excited to be doing this. Despite all the agony i cant wait to be off completely. I feel so hopeful. Happy even. Just resting today and getting by. I was able to eat a Buffalo chicken cheese steak of all things lol! I csn do this. Just need some support from this community. Any encouragement is do appreciated.... Please help me.

Can you get some gabapentin, pregabalin or baclofen? Using one of those can make a huge difference, especially with a benzo.