• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Post Opiate Detox Night Sweats - Anyone Else?

LotusExige

Bluelighter
First I'm very happy to say that after 5 years of being addicted to opiates, prescribed by my pain management doctor, I am finally free of them. I just completed a 30 day treatment program and as I write this am 33 days sober. The program was amazing and after 13 days of withdrawal hell and years of believing I'd never make it through that I am finally physically back to normal - well mostly. Zero cravings since finishing the detox (cold turkey BTW - refused all meds) and I feel the best I've felt in MANY years.

I have had one very odd lingering issue - night sweats. I've been a total insomniac my whole adult life, if I get 4 hours sleep that's epic for me, usually in 2 2-hour blocks with say 2-3 hours awake in between. What's happening now is about 2 hours after I fall asleep I wake up soaked in sweat. Have to change my clothes, my pillow/pillow case and sometimes the sheets. Many times I'm so cold that I have to shower to bring my temperature back up enough or I just lay there shivering. Again this is POST detox, my sweats during detox weren't all that bad but now that I'm "normal" again they are terrible.

I've made sure the room is a proper temperature. I've tried wearing just a t-shirt/boxers or full PJs. Thin sheet or heavy blanket. So far nothing has changed this. It's pretty miserable and I'm tired of constantly doing laundry!

Anyone else experience this? The only other physical issue I have is I can't stop sneezing but it does seem to be slowing down. 20+ times a day around day 15, 15 around day 25 and about 10 now around day 35.

-X

Congrats on your successes in early recovery OP!

This is one of those symptoms that can tend to linger for a while, similar to RLS and GI issues. If it's really annoying get something like clonidine from your doctors, that may help. But the sweating will go away over time (it may take a while though, months).

I mean, how intense is it? Do you wake up in a bed wet from sweat or just damp/sticky?

First I'm very happy to say that after 5 years of being addicted to opiates, prescribed by my pain management doctor, I am finally free of them. I just completed a 30 day treatment program and as I write this am 33 days sober. The program was amazing and after 13 days of withdrawal hell and years of believing I'd never make it through that I am finally physically back to normal - well mostly. Zero cravings since finishing the detox (cold turkey BTW - refused all meds) and I feel the best I've felt in MANY years.

I have had one very odd lingering issue - night sweats. I've been a total insomniac my whole adult life, if I get 4 hours sleep that's epic for me, usually in 2 2-hour blocks with say 2-3 hours awake in between. What's happening now is about 2 hours after I fall asleep I wake up soaked in sweat. Have to change my clothes, my pillow/pillow case and sometimes the sheets. Many times I'm so cold that I have to shower to bring my temperature back up enough or I just lay there shivering. Again this is POST detox, my sweats during detox weren't all that bad but now that I'm "normal" again they are terrible.

I've made sure the room is a proper temperature. I've tried wearing just a t-shirt/boxers or full PJs. Thin sheet or heavy blanket. So far nothing has changed this. It's pretty miserable and I'm tired of constantly doing laundry!

Anyone else experience this? The only other physical issue I have is I can't stop sneezing but it does seem to be slowing down. 20+ times a day around day 15, 15 around day 25 and about 10 now around day 35.

-X

Congrats on the 30 days. That's awesome.

PAWS sticks around for a bit. It will pass as your body adjusts to living without opiates.

Give it 90 days and most will be unrecognizable while it can take up to about 6 months.

Congrats on 30 days!!! Im just over six months clean after being oxy daily for over 20 years. It gets better month by month with insomnia it was my worse problem during paws i couldn't sleep more than 2 to 3 hours at a time also. Crazy shit is now i sleep more than i did during my opioid years, i also fall asleep much earlier than before. My energy level is still not back 100% and i exercise, i guess it can take longer back before wds i always would read that it could take up to a year which i never believed but now im starting too. And the rapid fire sneezing lasted almost two months for me i still get a rapid fire sneeze every now and then maybe its a reminder. Wish i could help you with the sweats i went thru wds during winter and i was always freezing. Keep rocking Lotus!!

Hi Lotus: I have over 3 months clean, and still wake up around 4am every morning sweating a lot! I don't know how long it lasts... I am glad to read TPD's post that these symptoms can linger, as no one ever talks about the physical symptoms sticking around for months... good to know that I am not alone. Keep us posted as to the progress of them decreasing as time passes. Take care!

hey I'm curious if anyone can find a REAL answer !! I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE, HORRIBLE NIGHT SWEATS !!! LIKE THE WROST NIGHT SWEATS BUT NO WITHDRAWL SYMPTONS JUST THE NIGHT SWEATS

Is it associated with drug use or withdrawal? Or you just sweat a lot at night? Is it a new thing or something that has been going on for a long time?

This may not be relevant, but nightsweats are a common side effect of many antidepressants. Any chance you're on something like that?