⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Alien: Covenant

Shale

Bluelighter
Alien: Covenant
Movie Blurb by Shale
May 19, 2017

My friend Michel is in town from Italy and today we hung out together at Aventura Mall and took in a movie at AMC Cinema. Altho it was on my to-see list, I was still debating whether to even see this newest reboot of the Alien franchise but since Michel said he wanted to see it we did. It was nice sitting with a friend in the theater, sharing popcorn. As for the movie- Eh.

I saw Prometheus in 2012 and didn't care for it, mainly for the idiot plots. This week I got a DVD of that movie from the library and confirmed why I didn't care for it. Suppose you are on an alien planet and you encounter a life form you know nothing about - do you approach it - try to pet it? Yeah, that kind of stupid undisciplined action just ruins a sci-fi movie for me. (The same as in the 2017 movie, Life).

This sequel to Prometheus has a similar group of undisciplined lackeys trudging thru an uncharted alien planet with no precautions to dangerous ALIEN LIFE FORMS that might be there.

The movie opens with a scene of Peter Weyland (Guy Pearce) instructing his new android, David (Michael Fassbender) in the ways of life. This is before the time of Prometheus when Guy Pearce's character was in such old man makeup you couldn't tell if it was him or Bowman from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Dad & David
000e016b-800.jpg

Then we move to the spaceship Covenant, where, as with all deep-space craft an android looks over the ship functions and cryo-sleeping crew. This android is named Walter (Also Fassbender). They are on their way to colonize a planet with 2K sleeping passengers when they get awakened and diverted to a closer planet, which seems ideal for human habitation.

Anyhow, to make a long story short, the same aliens that killed everyone on Prometheus except Archeologist Elizabeth Shaw (Noomi Rapace) who escaped with the disassembled android David are on this planet and starting to kill all the crew members who have landed.

This movie like Prometheus was well liked by the critics. Rotten Tomatoes aggregate critics gave it a 73% Fresh and 66% of audiences liked it. Their consensus was; "Alien: Covenant delivers another satisfying round of close-quarters deep-space terror, even if it doesn't take the saga in any new directions."

To me the terror was gratuitous, like it is expected and the characters go out of their way - literally separating so each can be picked off at leisure by the monster. This has been the draw for these movies ever since Alien in 1979, where Ripley and a cat were the only survivors to escape. In fact there were scenes with close ups of a woman turning slowly to see the Alien monster that reminded me of Sigourney Weaver. Oh, and there is a scene where the baby alien comes out of a man's chest like in the first movie.

Infected
000e0167-614.jpg

There will be another sequel. IDK if I am planning to see it.

An Alien Killer
000e0166-614.jpg

I'm sure if they killed off the more likable characters first, the movie would have been panned by critics.

My girlfriend bought me the Quadrilogy for Christmas; I haven't even watched the 4th and I saw the first 3 about 8 years ago. Somehow I doubt I'll get around to seeing this one. 3 was just a bunch of cursing and typical Alien shit. I liked the first best, the second was pretty darn good and spawned great games, but the rest? Why bother.

Like the Terminator they should really let this seires of films die. Alien and Aliens and everything after just went to shit. Prometheus I liked but coild have being so much better and yes little disappointed but not a bad outright film. Had some elements I liked and was on the right track but failed to push on and elabotrate and then this one completely left me unsatisfied nd yea. Fassbender only thing good in it.