• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids CWEs - Why aren't mine working?

isaaccain

Bluelighter
I usually use 12.8/500s, I forget if they're codeine phosphate or codeine phosphate hemihydrate, but that doesn't matter too much for solubility anyways I don't think. I'm having a hard time figuring out what the point of a semi hydrous salt is, if someone could explain why pharmaceutical companies do this I'd be grateful.
Right so here's my process, tell me where I'm going wrong:

•Get about 100ml of warm water. I don't know the exact temperature but I usually do 50/50 for kettle-boiled water and cold tap water.
•Dissolve pills in water. Usually, I don't bother crushing them, I put them in a bottle with the water and shake it up, or stir them in a cup until they dissolve.
•Put in the freezer, check in about 30 minutes. I have no way of checking the temperature so I just look for deposits of acetaminophen at the bottom of the bottle.
•Pour into an already-dampened makeshift filter, consisting of a funnel and a piece of paper towel folded over four times. Unfortunately, I have no coffee filters and literally no shop near me sells them. I could buy some online but I don't wanna look suspicious in front of my parents when we've already got three coffee machines and a french press.
•Filter into a jug or cup, usually get a clog but I just take out the 'filter', squeeze it a little and then swap it out for another.

That's it. I could grind the pills with a coffee grinder and disassemble my french press to use as a filter (but I'm worried it wouldn't be fine enough), but other than that, I don't really see what I'm doing wrong. I like to think I'm decent at high school chemistry and all that, but I'm not the best at understanding solvents. I thought phosphate salts were rarely anything more than slightly soluble in water, but everyone else's filtrates always turn out great and I barely get high, so I have a second question:

If I'm doing everything right, could it be the lack of chlorine in the water? Where I live, we don't treat our drinking water with fluoride, chlorine, etc., we treat it with UV radiation. I thought maybe the chlorine might be converting the phosphate salt to freely soluble codeine hydrochloride when the codeine reacts with the water. Would adding a tiny bit of bleach help? Or just destroy the codeine and my organs? I also thought salt - as in sodium chloride - might help in the same way to convert to hydrochloride, but you'd have to find the exact right balance of ions I think and I have no idea. If not bleach or salt, what about citric acid? Citrate is soluble in water and is used with heroin, so that would work, right?

Anyway sorry if this was boring but it's for the sake of science, man

Hemihydrate just means it has a very very very small amount of water like one drop its irrelevant.

Anhydrous dihydrate hemihydrate ect are important for organic chemistry.

Sodium chloride would not have a influence because water (2 h2o - h3o+ cl- na+ oh-) does not increase the amount of h3o+ in the solution.

Codeine+ phosphate- + h2o h3o+ phosphate- codeine+ oh-

Citric acid would make no difference atless you added a base like sodium hydroxide to mess up the codeine phosphate

Mineral acids are typically used because they tend to be easier to work with for example citric acid decomposes at high temperature and they tend to be more predictable for 1:1 ratios.

So it just forms the hydroxide salt in water? That's simpler than I thought oh well I guess it's just my method, if any can tell me what's wrong with it that'd be nice

Try grinding the pills, adding to cold water, no heat, shake or stir to dissolve the codeine. Let it sit in the fridge or freezer until the acetaminophen all settles too the bottom. Use a turkey baster or large (10+cc) syringe to draw off the layer of codeine solution while being careful not to disturbing the layer of apap. Once it's all drawn off give it a quick filter to remove any apap present. Drink it.

U can now pour the last bit
Of water/apap layer through a filter to get the rest of the codeine. At least u will get most of it right away.