• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc seroquel withdrawal?

rubydacherry

Greenlighter
I was on 300 mg of seroquel everyday for a month but I stopped taking it three days ago because it was causing side effects and I wasn't benefiting from it. I know its not good to stop cold turkey but I just assumed after only one month nothing would happen if I stopped but the past three days Ive been extremely nauseous constantly and threw up yesterday until I was dry heaving. I feel feverish and I've been miserable I dont feel well enough to leave my house and nothing is helping the nausea. If anyone know of anything that would help please let me know

Stopping any medication can cause withdrawal. Can you maybe split the pills in half then quarter?

Benzos should help, or another neuroleptic if its the right one.

My brother is bi-polar and was on high dose sero/trileptal/ssri(and I don't know what else) for some time before some fuck up with his doc being on vacation/the pharmacy(still not clear on the details, didn't really inquire at the time) made him run out and he didn't tell anyone thinking he'd be OK till his doc got back, well he ended up in the ER really FUCKED UP having seizure like symptoms, puking, sweating, he was a MESS, and im a former heroin addict but what he was going through made opiate WD look like a cake walk, I mean he is one tough son of bitch and he was crying like a baby and begging for death, and at first they weren't really doing anything for him and he was in agony so when the doc got there I basically screamed at her to give him some IV diazepam NOW because we weren't waiting on anything else(and had been waiting a long time already), and she got all defensive and was like I'm not giving him diazepam thats not the proper course of treatment blah blah so I started demanding to see another doctor, well she left the room and long story short he got versed(IV midazolam, another benzo) <10 minutes later and was immediately better while we waited for them to get all his other meds in order to go home.

You need to see your prescriber again. They should be able to help you comfortably switch to a new med.

I was on Seroquel for about two years, back about 10 years ago (which I never should have been). Seroquel was one of the hardest drugs I've ever had the displeasure of trying to get off, simply because of the mental anguish, panic attacks and insomnia.

I was on 300 mg as well, and I tapered VERY slowly, and did okay, all the way to the point of going from literal crumbs of the pill to zero. When I jumped off from crumbs all hell broke loose. The panic attacks and mental anguish were indescribable; absolute hell.

Keep in mind, I've kicked heroin & other opiates, benzos, a variety of other psychotropic meds like antidepressants (Effexor being the worst), phenibut, kratom & likely others I'm forgetting. Seroquel was fucking horrific making that final jump.

I would DEFINITELY try and acquire some benzos, clonidine or even phenibut to help get your through that final leap.

Antipsychotics are nasty, nasty stuff...

Are you on seroquel for bipolar or something? Another issue is like if i stop my meds i start spiraling into psychotic depression.

I have been on seroquel myself and had a similar experience, although not nearly as bad from what it sounds like. You’re right-- it’s truly a miserable medication if it doesn’t work for you.

We don't know much about seroquel's mechanism of action and there really isn’t any research out there about seroquel’s potential for physical dependence apart from a shaky publication on rodents. But considering how it interacts with other depressants and the fact that we take daily doses, one can assume it’s very likely a month’s-use will lead to withdrawal symptoms if you go cold turkey. From what I’ve read, seroquel has the highest affinity for H1 receptors (histamine), which means a physical dependence would likely be established from daily dosage. So titrating up/ tapering down is the best way to minimize symptoms. If you have any seroquel left, then I’d suggest tapering back down via smaller doses (a pill cutter would be helpful). If you don’t/ don’t want to take any, then I’d suggest a small dose of benadryl or some other antihistamine. If you want to avoid going back to the daily doses, even for the purpose of managing symptoms briefly, you could also just have them handy to take as needed. Other depressants may help too (e.g., benzos), but I’d guess that the antihistamines specifically would be your best bet/ the easiest to acquire. A few other things that could help with nausea would be cannabis, dramamine, or ginger.

As for what I did-- it’s a little hard to recall the timeline since it was awhile ago and, due to the bad side effects I was having from the drug, it’s a little hazy when those ended and the withdrawal symptoms began. At the time I didn’t know much about pharmacology, but I can say that cannabis did help alleviate them. That was just an instinctive go-to for me, however cannabis does actually help with nausea. Other than that, it was mostly just a lot of sleep, reminding myself to regularly drink water/ginger ale and eat, and forcing myself to interact with a few friends so I wouldn’t drown in total isolation in my bed (the earlier side effects had similarly kept me in bed for a little while beforehand). I know that may be obvious, but I can’t stress enough how important it is to remember to take care of yourself when things feel truly terrible.

My bad for the long-winded reply, but I hope that helps!

Its used at at different dosages for different reasons. Some doses are for sleep and others antiosychotic.

I cant remrmber off the top of my head which is which and it isnt low dose = sleep high = antipsychotic. Its more complicated than that.

I would suggest taking a very low dose like 25mg four or fives times per 24 hours then weekly taking a dose out.

Its not supposed to be addictive but you get used to feeling a certain way then you dont all of a sudden so yeah its weird.

Its definitely not "addictive", you won't form a compulsion to use, but it definitely is dependence forming at high doses(even at low doses, use 25mg for sleep for 6 months, then see how well you sleep after stopping cold turkey, the WD is just more extreme and typical of how we think off WD at high doses). We need to get away from the old school paradigm of addiction and detox and draw clear lines between addiction and dependence.

It's not understanding this difference and drawing this line that makes treatment such a failure right now, half the time people are being treated for addiction when they need help with dependence, and the other half the time they get help with dependence but then nothing for addiction. For example, there was a long long time when I was addicted to opiates, but I wasn't dependent on them, but then a much longer time where I wasn't addicted, I didn't WANT to use or get high, but I was dependent.

And its this blurred view of the problem which is leading to people with 60mg/day hydrocodone habits ending up on suboxone long term(which is just a stupid horrible mistake, bordering on malpractice imo), and the same reason why drug counseling and NA/AA programs are failing long time users.

Last edited:
I was on the wrong medication (this one) as it did not work for my panic disorder. I eventually ended up finding benzos but before that, I was on this for a year and this was back before I came to the "never trust a doctor" conclusion which sticks to me as a basic axiom of life to this very day. I ended up taking around a gram of seroquel a day because my panic attacks were so extreme but it was the only thing they would give me. It was retarded. The panic was so bad I just didn't know what to do. The doctor kept giving me more of this shit that didn't work for me, I mean I don't think it's really meant for panic disorder.

Eventually a year in when it had gotten that bad, I went to the ER having one of my usual extreme panic attacks and the psych told me to stop taking the seroquel and start taking a benzo I was scripted, along with an antidepressant which I didn't take. Anyways, the only thing I remember from the withdrawal is feeling really strange and having the most vivid, wild dreams of my life. To the point that I was afraid to go to sleep... I would have dreams within dreams within dreams. That sort of thing. It felt like I was dreaming for so long, that I could never escape and wake up (they were often lucid dreams and I was trapped, wanting to wake up).

Never trust a doctor. I now live by this statement, and take a benzo of my choice or etizolam when I have a panic attack.

I define addict as anyone who uses drugs in a different way then i currently use those same drugs.