Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Favourite Marijuana Strains

Dirty_Deed

Bluelighter
I just thought I'd post this because there aren't enough threads on the holy herb. I may do other drugs, but in the end, weed is all I need. I was wondering mainly what strains of marijuana ppl like.

My personal favourites are as follows:

Haze: The be all end all of super sativa's. This was my first spiritual experience with weed.

Skunk#1: This shit is pretty much extinct in the commercial growing world, but by golly, it's a classic cerebral high.

Aussie Skunk: You can't beat the Indica dominant aussie skunk for its couchlock stone. Very common and very stoney. Even Canadians have trouble with this shit.

White Shark: Mmmm mmm, better than white widow because it tastes better, and my all time fave.

Hindu Kush: A real stealthy creeper that leaves you immobilised before you know what's what.

Jamaican Red Beard: A very pleasant pure sativa with a haze like high that is best suited for lying on a hammock drinking Malibu on ice.

Thai Buddha (original): This stuff was the bomb when I was a young cunt and I think the original is pretty much extinct, though the imitation ain't too bad.

Purple Haze (original): Only ever had one encounter with this classic 70's strain and it is the most electric shit I've ever had. Very hard to find original variety, but well worth it.

Durban Poison: South Africa's best. A wonderful long lasting high and is the best breeding stock I've ever come across.

Northern Lights: A very stoney indica classic. NL#5 is worth a mention as well. Only difference is that the latter has been backbred with a hindu kush to give it more of a couchlock effect.

Bubblegum: The sleepy giant of marijuana. Very stinky and very tastey. A little too sleepy IMO, but damn good for restless nights.

Aussie Mango: Mostly grown in melbourne. Best aroma and taste out of all the other mago varieties I've had. Only problem: Short lasting high. The QLD mango is the ultimate.

Blueberry: Another sleepy giant with sticky buds that leaves a pleasant sticky sweet resin on your lips. Similar to bubblegum in high.

Turkish: Very hard to get, but by golly, a very nice mexicana type high that leaves a huge grin on your face. This stuff makes me laugh no matter what.

Acupulco Gold: Another smile on your dial variety.

Michuacan: need I say more?

AK-47: The mother of all heavy hitters. Truly magnificent when backbred with a F1 afgahni#1.

Afgahni: The classic indica. Old skool.

Pure Passion: A strain bred in Canberra. Very resinous and quite a thunderfuck. VERY LONG LASTING. A good 7 hours after 2 cones.

Superskunk: How could I not mention Ali G's fave. This used to be the teen dream fantasy of most young stoners. Overrated, but has been bred with so many varieties, that it holds place as the best stablizer ever in breeding history IMO.

Kali's Mist: Gotta mention this 'cause it's one of Cypress Hill's faves. Very exotic breed with a good overall high and taste.

Humbolt County: Another Cypress Hill fave. Very nice taste but quite weak.

California Orange: Tasty skunky funky. Very fruity punch with an above average high.

Orange Bud: 100% skunk variety with a textbook skunk high. Also has a pleasant orange cordial taste.

White Widow: Might as well give this a thumbs up. I like the shark better though. This stuff has a horrible taste. Very medicinal though.

Byron Bay Popcorn: A very common variety in Byron Bay. Hairy fat buds that look dense but are actually popcorn like in consistency. Quite a nice coastal high. Very cheap: that's why I mention.

Mullimbimby Madness: A aussie classic that should be grown more. The only sativa I've had that has rivalled with Haze.

Nimbin Nugs: Not sure of the actual name, but the bush variety in nimbin is quite nice. Very hairy dense buds. The hairs (pistils) are the most intense orange I've ever seen.

Neu Ginni Gold: The best bush variety in the world by my opinion. Straight from the jungles of PNG. VERY STICKY!!!

Da Goods: A strain my mate developed. A cross of over 12 strains that has a high I have not been able to describe. Very physical is all I can say. Almost trippy when in the right mood. Took 6 years to develop and is not very stable.

Budsalotis: Another strain a mate developed. It was a Durban Poison X Superskunk. The tightest buds I've ever seen in my life. A branch looked like a ball of cauliflower/broccoli. That's how tight it was. And very sticky too, I might add.

Well that's it really, that's my favourites. what's yours??

My fave Indica strain will be Kindu Kush X Northern Lights and my fave pure sativa will be always Malawai Gold.

Have a look at my homepage on the right, its a forum for Aussie Stoners/Personal Growers.

Urbanhog %)

Man, how the fuck do you remember all those different types of weed? I can barely remember if the weed I smoked last week was any good!!!

On a more serious note, the weed I had in British Colombia (Western Canada) was absolutely intense. The buds were thick like rope & completely covered in crystals (as if it were dipped in water & rolled in sugar). I also got hold of some honey oil which is supposed to be the purest form of THC, and from I what I experienced, I believe it!!;)

My favourites when travelling to Amsterdam:

White Widow
Bubblegum
Derbin Poisin
AK 47
Yellow Haze (i think thats what is was)
Ahh there are too many.......8)

I almost forgot:

RED HAIR SKUNK: The 80's classic skunk that made me a believer in the power of old skool. A wonderful smoother skunk high with a great earthy taste and wicked aroma. A real must for the skunk lovers out there, and my overall fave skunk EVER!!

Purple Haze I used to get from a 40+ stoner that was outdoor grown. That stuff was heaven.

Also anything picked wet, left to mould and dried later takes on some strange properties. Anyone else done this?

I have tried this (accidentally) and it does make for a wierd high. I have a feeling mould changes the cannabinoid structure in much the same way as run of the mill oxidisation which turns THC into CBH. Don't know what mould does, but I wouldn't really reccomend smoking this kinda stuff 'cause you could get a lung infection from doing so. Like a mate of mine who started coughing up yellow fungus bits for 2 months.

^^ dude, your zest for grass is amazing 8o
i'd also like to add that the only way to experience the THC high is in my opinion, by eating it! the best part is the taste =D

I am quite a ganja gastranome...and yes, cooking with things like honey hash oil is splendid. If you overdo it, you can trip harder than ever. Not many ppl like tripping on hash, but damn is it vivid.Much more in your face than tripping on anything else IMO.
Might as well say, ppl, keep posting your favourite strains. I have a hidden agenda for all this "research". Which is to breed my very own commercial killer weed. I'm just looking for what kinda highs ppl like.....So detailed descriptions would be much appreciated, but maybe a wee bit unrealistic considering most ppl are in the attitude of "weed is weed".......

8o

just wondering where you've learnt to cross-breed slectively!

i've looked for such info but never found anything detailed enuf to give it a crack.

secret squirrel: Have you tried searching through HempCultivation.com? I'm pretty sure you'll find the answers you're looking for there.

I think my favourite strain is White Rhino. I can't be sure because I was only told it was White Rhino from the source. Whatever it was, it is, by far, the most potent weed i've ever had the pleasure of smoking.

Regarding mold, this is a FAQ like post taken from the forums of Marijuana.com.

I've recently become interested in molds and fungus that apply to the rotting and contamination of marijuana, their related health problems, prevention methods, and so forth.
I researched as much as I could on the internet about it, and am writing this post because I basically feel that all the threads addressing this issue are heresay and myths. Please note although sometimes I say something along the lines of "this mold is not specifically bad, and won't kill you", i'm saying just that. This does not mean that it won't cause sickness, or that it is not better to just throw away moldy weed, I just like to give people options.

To start off, I must say that mold and fungus is much more prominent and most likely inhaled far more than people would like to admit, as this study suggests "Fungi were identified in 13 of 14 MJ samples" *1. But is this really bad, which molds are deadly and which are not, do I have to throw away my entire stash if it gets infected? Hopefully conclusions to these questions can be drawn from the information here.

Please note, any *x is the number of the reference used (references are at the bottom), and anything in "quotes" and italics are direct quotes from sites.

How bad is bad?

Here we look at how bad an infection can get from mold, and the most probable results are.

First, the "bad" part in molds are something called mycotoxins, and seem to be (usually) only bad if someone is exposed to them a lot over long periods of time. It seems most molds contain mycotoxins, so there's not much chance in avoiding them. *8.

Most effects seem to be allergic reactions or asthma, which usually occur "in sensitive individuals. About 15 million Americans are allergic to mold. The most common reactions are flu-like symptoms and asthma. Those with chronic lung or immune problems, are at risk for more serious reactions like fever, lung infections and a pneumonia-like illness." *8. Most actual sicknesses (like the one from aspergillus), bronchitus, mold "growing" in your lungs, is not a problem for healthy individuals and is not a prominent factor in the most common molds.

Surprisingly most research indicates that if a strain is particularly bad, it is MUCH worse when digested than when inhaled. Thus, with certain strains it's actually better to smoke the weed than to cook it, as some (notice, it's not all) strains will not die when exposed to extremely high temperatures. Anaerobic Bacteria for example is one of these, while not very harmful if inhaled, it is FAR more devestating when ingested.

Molds:

Here we answer, what are the most common molds and how bad are they?

The only "deadly" mold seems to be one named Stachybotrys, and it is rather rare. So it's not a general concern (as in, I wouldn't worry if you have this one, you most likely don't). As well it seems more deadly (or perhaps higher infection rate) to infants and elder people, or people with generally bad immune systems.

The most common mold is Aspergillus, and it occurs literally everywhere, from the soil to the trees.. you have definitely inhaled it before if you've ever been outside, and it is not a problem for people with regular immune systems. The problem with this mold arises with people with extremely low immune systems (AIDS, marrow transplants, etc..), where it may cause problems. To further emphasize this point, "Aspergillus is a group of moulds which is found everywhere world-wide, especially in the autumn and winter in the Northern hemisphere. Only a few of these moulds can cause illness in humans and animals. Most people are naturally immune and do not develop disease caused by Aspergillus. However, when disease does occur, it takes several forms." *6. As well, "The simplest may be contaminating pot with fungi like Aspergillosis, which is still toxic when smoked. Healthy people can inhale the spores and not get sick, but medical marijuana users can contract skin disorders, pneumonia and other pulmonary infections, some of them fatal." *4. Basically, I'd say that this mold, although bad, is not really a concern. Most healthy people should have no problem with it.

Next is Anaerobic Bacteria, which only grows in dark and air tight (ie. sealed jar) situations.. Anaerobic specifically means that it does not require oxygen to grow. This one is easy to identify (brown & slimey, plus you had your stash air tight), and is rather bad. That is to say, it's easy to avoid, and thus you should never run into it, but if you do it's best to just throw it out. The most common of these is a mold known as Clostridium botulinum, and everything you could want to know about it is here: http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~mow/chap2.html.

Penicillium is another common one. From what I've read, it seems that it is not much of a concern. It's usually rather benign, and is most common from refridgerating (seems to prefer cold), but i'll get into that later. Your only real worry here is from contamination from putting something with the weed that can get Penicillium (ie. for re-hydration purposes), as we can see here: "Adding peels to pot imparts a "pleasant bouquet" (Frank & Rosenthal). In my case, the peel imparted a nidus of infection. _P italicum_, the "blue citrus mold," is notorious for its ability to spread by contact (i.e., "one bad apple spoils the whole bunch")." *2.

The last one i'll talk about is the one that people often cite reference to when burying their weed to "increase the potency". To describe this more specifically: "More recently, Margolis & Clorfene describe a mold that _increases_ potency in marijuana. Their "black weblike fungus" sounds like an _Aspergillus_ species" *2. This is kind of interesting, in that people will bury their weed in hopes of securing this specific one to increase potency.. but in my opinion it's not worth it, as it seems other strains come up a lot more often and just ruin the entire stash.

Identification:

How do you identify if you have a mold or not? I'll try to outline the main ways..

It seems that "Infested marijuana often darkens in color and becomes crumbly. Anaerobic bacteria turn marijuana into brown slime. Marijuana undergoing rapid decay may feel warm to touch. ... Tufts of fungi are often visible in mold material. In marijuana stored in darkness, strands look white to light grey. Exposed to light, storage molds spawn millions of colored spores in velvet clumps. A slight tap sends these spores into great billowing clouds. Generally, _Rhizopus_ and _Mucor_ produce grey-black spores; _Penicillium_ species are light blue-green; and _Aspergillus_ species are dark green-black." *2, which provides identification for penicillium, aspergillus, rhizopus, mucor, anaerobic, and generally what to look for (colour change, warmth, tufts, spores).

It also seems that it is possible to check for aflatoxins using a black light *2. It seems "Material contaminated with aflatoxin-producing _A. flavus_ will fluoresce to a green hue under ultraviolet light." *2.

Prevention & Ways around:

How do we go about preventing these strains from forming on my marijuana, seeing as any mold is unwanted?

First, the "fridging" or "freezing" your pot doesn't seem to hold any merit, as penicillium thrives in these situations *2. As well as these, we know of the "contact" spread of penicillium which was referrenced above in the penicillium section from things which can easily get contaminated by it.

There's no surprise here, the MAJOR factor is (ya, you guessed it) moisture. "Moisture control is the key to mold control. Molds need both food and water to survive; since molds can digest most things, water is the factor that limits mold growth." *3.

So you might be wondering how much moisture is too much, and how dry is too dry?
Well, "Living cannabis plants are about 80% water. Perfectly dried marijuana contains about 10%-15% water or moisture content (MC). Material below 10% MC becomes too brittle and disintegrates. Fungi cannot grow below 15% MC. Unfortunately, many growers market their crop _above_ 15% MC." *2.

For people with Aspergillus infected marijuana, it is recommended that one bakes it for 15 minutes at 300 degrees, as this apparantly does the trick in removing it *7.

There's also been a lot of theories that "using a waterpipe will filter the spores out" or something of that sort. That seems to be untrue however, as "Moody et al. evaluated waterpipes for smoking _Aspergillus_-contaminated marijuana. Unfortunately, they found only a 15% reduction in transmission of fungal spores." *2.

Conclusions:

It seems that there are quite a few risks with moldy weed, mostly respitory/immune problems. However, these are actually rather limited in their infection rates, and the most common are the more annoying (but not really a problem) allergy/asthma problems. As well, the strains most probable to develop on marijuana don't seem to be of particular deadliness, the more rare ones on the other hand do pose some serious risks.

Prevention of mold seems to be easiest executed by simply reducing the moisture level until the weed is below 15% moisture content.. however, since there's no way to really measure moisture content, i would just go for "pretty dry".
I realize quite a few people like to purposelly keep their bud a little moist, through re-hydration or whatever method. Although it might smoke better, the chance for contamination is FAR higher than if you dried the bud out quite well. So it's kind of a gamble i guess.

There doesn't seem to be any way to reduce the amount of spores that you intake (with the exception of cooking Aspergillus, and perhaps a few others), as even water bongs don't help much, thus if you're going to be inhaling a mold you should know WHICH one it is, and any problems that might be associated with it (or don't take the chance and throw it out).

I realize I used a lot of direct quotes to say what I wanted, to be honost this is because I'm lazy and the sites said what I wanted to pretty well . As well, some of the writing might be awkard, and I apologize for that. I wrote this while a bit stoned. Hopefully it flows well enough to understand the points I was trying to make. If not please ask and I'll try to clarify.

I hope this will help people with mold problems make educated decisions on what they have, what they should do, ways to prevent it in the future, etc..

Feel free to comment and/or add something from a reliable study I have overlooked or left out..

References:
1. http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannab...radation1.shtml
2. http://www.erowid.org/plants/cannab...writings3.shtml
3. http://www.epa.gov/iaq/molds/append_b.html
4. http://www.dancesafe.org/howsafe.php
5. http://www.cfe.cornell.edu/compost/odors/factors.html
6. http://www.aspergillus.man.ac.uk/languages/english.htm
7. http://www.goshen.edu/bio/Biol410/b.../stephanie.html
8. http://healthandenergy.com/mold_fungi.htm

Last edited:
its been a while since ive had the sensi NL5/haze, so that makes it hard to compare my personal favorite to the modern strains, however, i think my all time favorite ie. northern lights #5 / haze was a winner of the cannabis cup at some point in the late eighties.
well grown jack is good.
as is bluberry bibblegum and white widow.

skunk No1 crossed with neville's Haze is far and away the best dope i've ever smoked.

And where did you get the impression that skunk No1 is commercially extinct - it's the hydro growers mainstay around here. Especially since started sending out free seeds with every order.

I recently grew out an australian skunk - it was definitely primo, easy to grow and extremely stable. 8 out of 8 were females, no hermaphrodite traits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skunk #1 ain't really around. As you should know, original skunk is sativa dominant and all the skunk that comes out these days is obviously indica dominant to the point of being afghani. The most common commercial IMO is White Shark, White Rhino and NL.
keep posting more of this stuff ppl. It's all good info.