• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Looking for sober living in chicago that accepts someone on methadone maintenance.

sondra

Greenlighter
Hello everyone. I am still a green lighter . My name is sondra. I am planning on moving to chicago and getting on methadone maintenance. I am having a hard time finding a sober living home, transitional living, halfway house(would have to accept newly clean person), or a home like this along these lines. And since I don't yet have an income I would need for them to also be willing to take medicaid or be willing to work w me on payment like have a sliding scale fee or allow me time to get a job. If you know of any place like this that meets these requirements in chicago or chicago suburbs please let me know. Thank you so much.

I honestly don't think you'll find a lot of feedback about regional specific sober living info in this forum. I suggest working with your methadone clinic on helping you find suitable housing that meets your needs. They should be able to help you. Find a couple clinics in the area and start working with them before you move in terms of getting everything setup for your intake as much as possible and letting the manager know what your needs will be, particularly regarding housing.

I can tell you I tried to find one in Birmingham Alabama and no one would take me on methadone. Chicago might be more progressive though

They are out there I mean. Not necessarily a lot of them, but I know of some folks in SoCal on methadone, although more often buprenorphine, who live in sober living type arrangements with the staff on board. Things are getting a bit better with this kind of thing as ORT gains the legitimacy (or at least a small degree of legitimacy) in the recovery communities that it has so long deserved.

I cant understand why these sober living facilities look at suboxone as being any different then methadone. Its the same damn concept. Methadone actually has way more accountability built into it then suboxone does. My suboxone doctor never drug tested me or counseled me there where no groups or anything like that. Methadone has drug testing, 1to1 counseling, group therapy all built in.

It either has to do with stigma or money. I bet some of these halfway houses have doctors they contract with to write the suboxone scripts for the patients. They cant do that with methadone. I don't know that for a fact but its a theory of mine.

The methadone stigma has been built up by NA for 40 years. Ive heard so much bullshit about it by steppers that I don't even feel like repeating them all. My all time favorite is that because it was invented by a German company that the Nazis tried to use it to control there population methad-one. It doesn't even fucking spell right but this idiot rehab counselor was spewing it. fuck em is my first reaction but then people like OP are left out in the cold. I don't know the answer and I will say the clinics themselves need to lead the way in addressing the stigma but in my area they don't.

My best advice is to talk to your clinic counselor and see if they have any institutional knowledge about a place that will take you.

Yeah it is mostly stigma, doesn't have much to do with anything else IME. I Like how the official NA literature questions the legitimacy of methadone/ORT. That right there says a lot about the organization and how backward it is, at least when it comes to modern medicine and science.

And did I mention that vast majority of the research suggests that ORT plays a crucial role in positive treatment outcomes for people with severe opioid use disorder? God have mercy! 8)

There is a damned good reason that ORT has been branded by professionals and experts in the substance use disorder/addiction fields as the Gold Standard. Hell, even NIDA/SAMHSA endorses ORT's efficacy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah it is mostly stigma, doesn't have much to do with anything else IME. I Like how the official NA literature questions the legitimacy of methadone/ORT. That right there says a lot about the organization and how backward it is, at least when it comes to modern medicine and science.

And did I mention that vast majority of the research suggests that ORT plays a crucial role in positive treatment outcomes for people with severe opioid use disorder? God have mercy! 8)

There is a damned good reason that ORT has been branded by professionals and experts in the substance use disorder/addiction fields as the Gold Standard. Hell, even NIDA/SAMHSA endorses ORT's efficacy.

Yeah when a back ass organization like the NIDA is calling methadone the gold standard for severe opiate addiction then NA is far out on a limb.