• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Is it too soon?

copperdome

Bluelighter
Ok, so here's my story. I am recently clean from my 16 year drug (opiate) addiction. I was clean for 4 months then I smoked weed and broke my sobriety. So last month I started over and I have just over a month clean. I decided to go to CDL school and pursue a trucking career. I am tired of dead end minimum wage jobs! I will have to be sure I maintain sobriety if I am to follow through with this. Failure is not an option. Can I do this or am I taking on too much too fast?

Sounds like you're doing just fine.

My question is do you have low back pain? Sitting for prolonged periods of time is bad for your back. If you don't, then it becomes easier to avoid opiates.

Ok, so here's my story. I am recently clean from my 16 year drug (opiate) addiction. I was clean for 4 months then I smoked weed and broke my sobriety. So last month I started over and I have just over a month clean. I decided to go to CDL school and pursue a trucking career. I am tired of dead end minimum wage jobs! I will have to be sure I maintain sobriety if I am to follow through with this. Failure is not an option. Can I do this or am I taking on too much too fast?

Try not to beat yourself up too much about the cannabis. How do you plan on maintaining your sobriety as you complete CDL school? It's not going to be easy, but then nothing in life is free. You are more than capable of doing this if you were able to maintain a 16 year opioid habit (that's hard work btw). How long have you been planning this career change for?

Don't expect to figure it all our over night, but things will make as much sense and go as well as the amount of time and effort you put into becoming who you wish to be.

Stress in early recovery is tough because while it can cause relapses it can also take your brain off the thought of using. Personally doing something academic wouldn't bother me because I enjoy academics so as long as youwant to b learn to drive trucks its a good thing. I guess what I am saying is as long as it isnt a snap decision I think it's cool

Congrats on your clean time from opiates! That takes some serious work.

I just wanted to drop a line of caution - My understanding is that CDL holders are randomly drug tested. This actually applies regardless of the state you reside in because it is a federal standard. Even if you live in a state where weed is legal - they can still jerk your CDL from you for two years.

Best of luck!

- VE

Thank you guys for all the replies and thoughts. I have been considering this career change ever since I have been clean. Yes I do have lower back pain, I am 6'4" and I have some buldging disks so it does bother me but ib profrin and aleve help. Thank you guys for the encouragment and kindness I am going to assume I can maintain sobriety and go for it!

I wanted to ask you guys another question. I have maintained my sobriety so far by being on Vivitrol. I am considering skipping my shot which is due in a few days so I can get drunk for the first time in over 5 months. Is this an okay decision? Alcohol was never my thing, opiates were. Do you guys think I can manage drinking occasionally? NA suggests that you can't even pick up a drink after getting sober, but I have read success stories on the interwebs.

I wanted to ask you guys another question. I have maintained my sobriety so far by being on Vivitrol. I am considering skipping my shot which is due in a few days so I can get drunk for the first time in over 5 months. Is this an okay decision? Alcohol was never my thing, opiates were. Do you guys think I can manage drinking occasionally? NA suggests that you can't even pick up a drink after getting sober, but I have read success stories on the interwebs.

Theres only one way to find out..... My only reservation is that alcohol may lower your inhibitions and make you crave opiates.

Theres only one way to find out..... My only reservation is that alcohol may lower your inhibitions and make you crave opiates.
I have decided to try it. I will let you guys know how it turns out. I just hope I don't start having more cravings off of Vivitrol. I don't think Vivitrol does a ton for cravings anyway, because the first couple months on it I was a fiend having intense cravings.

I share cj's worry about alcohol's disinhibiting effect. But I certainly don't think you need to worry about it on principle (as NA dogma argues). Also, I totally agree, by the way--I don't think naltrexone has any physiological effect on opiate cravings.

I hope you'll let us know how it goes. I have a personal interest b/c I'm also on vivitrol for heroin dependency and am curious about the behavior of vivitrol as it exits your system.

I share cj's worry about alcohol's disinhibiting effect. But I certainly don't think you need to worry about it on principle (as NA dogma argues). Also, I totally agree, by the way--I don't think naltrexone has any physiological effect on opiate cravings.

I hope you'll let us know how it goes. I have a personal interest b/c I'm also on vivitrol for heroin dependency and am curious about the behavior of vivitrol as it exits your system.
Thanks it is always good to hear from someone in the same boat. I am on day 26 right now, so naturally I am due for the next shot in 2 days. I think I am going to wait until day 31, because thats when I will have another day off work. I have read that you can feel effects up to a week before, with others saying not for a couple weeks after the 4 week mark. I think I will be fine with just being an occasional drinker... that's what I was before and alcohol doesn't = opiates. I just have to be careful. I won't give in even if I do have cravings. I am going to CDL school and a relapse would ruin my career opportunities.

If you struggled with you alcohol use previously there is a good chance you will end up struggling with it again. Once those patterns become ingrained in us it takes years if not decades, and involved very significant lifestyle changes in nearly ever area of one's life, before one is capable of overcoming those deeply ingrained patterns we develop in active addiction.

I find that when I drink (2-4 beers tops), I never had an issue drinking BTW, it ends up leading to three days of feel out of sorts. If you can manage one drink, you likely will be fine. Two drinks and you begin to significantly impair your ability to prevent yourself from stopping there. Basically the more one drinks the less control one has over making a decision to not have another drink. That is just the way it seems to works with drugs generally speaking (perhaps with the exception of entheogens).

If you do decide to drink make it a real ritual and create lots of rules for yourself. For instance, requiring you eat while you have you drink. Not drinking in social settings with people who drink a lot, limiting the numbers of days of the week you drink, not drinking until you have finished your obligations for the day, etc. etc. Create a harm reduction plan for yourself so that you have a metric by which you can easily judge if you drinking is going in a direction of getting out of hand or becoming problematic.

If you struggled with you alcohol use previously there is a good chance you will end up struggling with it again. Once those patterns become ingrained in us it takes years if not decades, and involved very significant lifestyle changes in nearly ever area of one's life, before one is capable of overcoming those deeply ingrained patterns we develop in active addiction.

I find that when I drink (2-4 beers tops), I never had an issue drinking BTW, it ends up leading to three days of feel out of sorts. If you can manage one drink, you likely will be fine. Two drinks and you begin to significantly impair your ability to prevent yourself from stopping there. Basically the more one drinks the less control one has over making a decision to not have another drink. That is just the way it seems to works with drugs generally speaking (perhaps with the exception of entheogens).

If you do decide to drink make it a real ritual and create lots of rules for yourself. For instance, requiring you eat while you have you drink. Not drinking in social settings with people who drink a lot, limiting the numbers of days of the week you drink, not drinking until you have finished your obligations for the day, etc. etc. Create a harm reduction plan for yourself so that you have a metric by which you can easily judge if you drinking is going in a direction of getting out of hand or becoming problematic.
I plan on drinking several (to get a nice buzz/drunk) but only on weekends. I've definitely never had a drinking problem though. I'm getting ready to start a career in trucking, so I will only have once or twice a month that I will be home and able to do it. I think I'll be fine (I hope) I think I deserve that little escape every now and then!

I find that I can drink on the weekends, or days I have off/holidays, etc and it's not a problem. That doesn't mean it won't become one. Just be careful.

I can relate to not knowing if I was "ready" to re-engage with life yet, because it really would suck to mess things up. Thankfully I got back into school, etc. and it didn't backfire. It really helped fill the time and now I have 2 years, 4 months clean :)

Im 3 months off opioids and even though i never had a big drinking problem i find having some beers on the weekend is a good escape, not getting wasted 3 maybe 4 tops. I also smoke weed now daily i find it very therapeutical since wds i smoked most of my life but not as much during my opioid years. It all depends on the person and what path drinking or weed leads you down for me i know it will not take me to opioids but everyone is different. Smoking weed seems to really help the nerve pain in my feet so for me that would be a good enough reason alone.

I find that I can drink on the weekends, or days I have off/holidays, etc and it's not a problem. That doesn't mean it won't become one. Just be careful.

I can relate to not knowing if I was "ready" to re-engage with life yet, because it really would suck to mess things up. Thankfully I got back into school, etc. and it didn't backfire. It really helped fill the time and now I have 2 years, 4 months clean :)
Congratulations on that clean time! I hope to be a success story like you. As far as the weed, I was a daily smoker for over a decade, but now those days are over. My career has to come first now.