• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Gabapentin combinations

elstongunn39

Bluelighter
I take gabapentin nightly at a pretty low dose (600 mg), for insomnia/ptlds. However I have some fun drugs that I'd like to do that would interact badly--benzos, ketamine, GHB, phenibut. My question is how long would I have to be off the gabapentin for it to be safe to take any of those? I can't exactly ask my doctor.

If you skipped your gabapentin for that night, you would be pretty much clear of it. Gabapentin has a pretty short half life

600 mg is a pretty low dose. I honestly dont think you have a lot to worry about.

600mg isn't a low dose... it's not a high dose either..

But yeah, Gabapentin has a 6-7 hour half life, you should be clear by the morning if dosed the night before.

another question: does gabapentin accumulate in your system if you're only taking it once daily

Gabapentin has an half-life of 5 to 7 hours

Exactly. It has a short half life so it won't accumulate.

For some reason I've been told by numerous medical professionals that gabapentinoids don't work immediately and have to build up in your system, but that's simply not true.

600mg is a low dose. 2000-4000mg is a high dose. I have taken benzos and phenibut with gabapentin. If you are in the habit of taking gabapentin (i.e. dependent), you may find that benzos don't work as well without it. I would say that some of the narcoleptic effects of phenibut would be increased by gabapentin. I am not qualified through my experience to comment on the other two drugs.

At a 600 mg dose of gabapentin, how long should I wait after a dose until I take some GHB? I've been taking the gabapentin for awhile and was thinking about using the GHB to help with the gabapentin withdrawals (main symptom not being able to sleep). If I take it on the smaller end of the dose range, could I take it instead of gabapentin 24 hours after my last gabapentin dose, or would that be dangerous? If I dosed, say 2 g or so instead of my gabapentin tomorrow would that be dangerous because there's still a little gabapentin in my system?

I think that this leve of precaution is a bit of overkill, but I'm always loath to say that about any harm reduction measure. (That said I'm on 3,600mg of gabapentin, 20mg of valium, 8mg of suboxone myself + some other meds for depression + I drink quite a bit. This is not to say that you should combine stuff at this level or at these doses. I have a serious tolerance to all the above.) It will potentiate sedation of various other things but 600mg is not really going to do all that much. It may be wise, well, it's always wise, regardless of circumstances to, with regards to dose, "start low and go slow" when it comes to adding things like GHB or benzos. Or alcohol. Do you drink with gabapentin? If you do, this will probably give you at least some idea of how it's going to interact with GHB. Not anything in terms of numbers or precise degree of magnification, nothing like that, but in terms of whether there is a serious amount of magnification or more or less not much. Basically, I wouldn't necessarily rule out combinations, but just be careful as you initially chose your dose and especially when you re-dose.

This post or any of my communications do not constitute professional advice nor do they establish a professional relationship of any kind; I make no claim to any specific professional credentials; in person consultation is essential for any medical, psychological, substance-related or harm reduction decisions. While peer support an advice can be helpful, any content posted online, regardless of it's source, cannot, by it's very nature, substitute for an in-person relationship with a clinician who has had the opportunity to take your history in the larger context and provide professional advice with all these factors, and others, taken into account.

I actually tried out ghb, about 17 hrs after I took my last gabapentin dose. I feel like that must have been too close together because I feel like i incurred some (maybe hypoxic) brain damage... feel stupid and have a ton of brain fog still

k i was just specifically replying to skl as i thought he seemed like someone with a lot of experience with gabapentin

Almost certainly not, near-zero chance of long-lasting damage, none whatsoever if you are talking about hypoxic brain damage and you were not unconscious/arrhythmic/depressed respiration actually in need of resuscitation . Just hangover/brain-fog, that's it.

Not medical advice, etc.; see above

I've combined a dose of 3600mg (All in one dose, so figure lower BA) with a few drinks and 2 grams of phenibut (separate times) and had no side effects besides the weird visuals you get in the dark with Gabapentin.

good to know. I guess hypoxic brain damage in my case is unlikely... I guess it's just that it's one of my worst fears... I'm getting a pulse oximeter so I can learn my limits.
Still wondering whether to go to a neurologist or my lyme doctor (he's pretty smart in areas beyond his specialty) with this... Pros: I could get reassured and learn a little/or catch something important to get checked out Cons: Could get dropped as a patient/labelled a junkie in ways that could adversely affect my treatment in general

oh and (at SKL) with the GHB I was definitely "unconscious" I mean I was going for deep sleep but I don't know if I overshot it and got hypoxia or anything.. i slept for 6 hrs, I don't think my lips were blue or anything