⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film Arrival

Shale

Bluelighter
Arrival
Movie Blurb by Shale
November 11, 2016

This is a movie I had to see. From Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) to Contact (1997) I have enjoyed seeing first contact sci-fi.

IDK how much to show you of this movie. It opens with an arrival of a child in flashback but then moves to the advent of a dozen huge extraterrestrial ships stationed around the planet, hovering a few feet off the ground with anti-grav capability.

Arrival.jpg

Every 18 hours a door opens and humans are allowed inside to face-to-face with the aliens thru a transparent partition. The alien atmosphere is foggy so it's hard to see the totally alien life forms, similar to our octopods but with 7 appendages,(heptapods) and whose language was foreign to any reference on the planet.

Inside Alien Ship
Arrival-Teaser-Trailer.jpg

The government sends Col. Weber (Forest Whitaker) for renowned linguist, Dr. Louise Banks (Amy Adams).

Col Weber
20161110T1139-0388-CNS-MOVIE-REVIEW-ARRIVAL_800.jpg

On the way to the site she meets physicist Ian Donnelly (Jeremy Renner). These are the three main characters thru out the movie with Louise & Ian taking risks to find a way to communicate with these obviously highly advanced intelligent beings.

Louise & Ian Decipher Alien Writing
11ARRIVALJP2-master675.jpg

That's it. If you like intelligent, thot provoking sci-fi, go see this movie. If you enjoyed Contact go see this movie. It has dramatic elements and sometimes you think of The Day the Earth Stood Still, when you see the reaction to all the governments confronted with such an advanced alien appearance. If not for conquest of our inferiorly defended planet, then the question is, why are they here?

I really liked this movie as did 83% of audiences. The aggregate critics on Rotten Tomatoes really liked this movie at 93%. Their consensus was: "Arrival delivers a must-see experience for fans of thinking person's sci-fi that anchors its heady themes with genuinely affecting emotion and a terrific performance from Amy Adams."

I may see it again in theater. It seems to be a given to get all the nuance missed on first viewing.

That's it. If you like intelligent, thot provoking sci-fi, go see this movie. If you enjoyed Contact go see this movie.
hail sagan. i plan on seeing this soon. pretty excited as contact is an all time fav.

Arrival really remained with me and lingered in my mind, long after I saw it. I did see the twist coming less than halfway through, but was still completely taken aback by all of the beauty and sadness this film has to offer. Seeing this as a father, I saw it from a perspective I couldn't possibly have, had this movie came out two years prior. It's absolutely gut-wrenching and, in spite of all this, begs to be seen again.

Finally saw it. Really enjoyable and fresh take on a complex idea.

Seeing this as a father, I saw it from a perspective I couldn't possibly have, had this movie came out two years prior. It's absolutely gut-wrenching

firstly, congratulations, mate :) dad mode rocks

secondly, intersteller made me run home for a cuddle big time

as for this film, i loved it until the end. didn't like the ending at all.

really good sci-fi. only issue for me is that at first they said the heptapods communicate through direct experience but then they really simplify the language bit.

Just saw it. Maybe I wasn't paying attention, but I did not see the needed leadup to the end when they explained the purpose of the language. They just dropped it in front of you without building it up and without any good hints. To clarify, I do not mean the Big Twist. The Big Twist was obvioius from the moment Louis Lane said, "we're still not sure if they know the difference between a w****n and a t**l." I don't want to spoil it. It was how they explained it and the magic power they attributed to it. Yes, I have heard that language theory before, but they did not fit it in smoothly or logically. In comparison, Contact did it correctly. THe ending in Contact was a surprise, but it made sense. Arrival did not. And I don't see how rolled up inkblots can be a form of writing.

Last edited:
^ I agree that certain elements were shaky. I think this could have been a really longer movie like 2001 with serious weight and that would have helped.

I watched this film the other night and I really did not enjoy it. It felt like it dragged on, I thought the end was fairly predictable, and I thought the plot was vacuous*.

* Spoilers:
NSFW:
How would the acquisition of a new language grant someone an altered perception of time? Particularly one so radical as the one featured in this film; I don't think this idea is coherent at all. I also found the circular causal loops extremely off-putting, for example, the Chinese general gave Louise his phone number (and told him his wife's dying words) because she called him and told him his wife's dying words, not only is this a highly implausible reaction to the initial phone call on behalf of the general, but this course of action served as a partial cause of an event which was causally antecedent to it. I am willing to suspend belief for a film, but this kind of lazy, vacuous writing is completely unnecessary, and, for me, ruins a film.

""The device it relies on is teh Wharfian theory of language. I won't go into detail, but it has largely been discredited since the 1970s. Steven Pinker, a contemporary linguist even said it is wrong. It's a shame the writer hadn't kept up with the last 40 years of literature on the subject.

i don't think there was a language. what would a receiver do with one of those swirls? read it? it would be more like a way of connecting nerve to nerve, of sharing experience. each swirl is unique - it's useless as an information carrier. some people think dolphins communicate with sonic holograms - so that there's no filter, it's almost like telepathy. the heptapods communicated by invading her brain and creating memories of the future, not by spitting ink