View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Why Cannabis is Not a Recreational Drug

poledriver

Bluelighter
Why Cannabis is Not a Recreational Drug

14711294_10154515898666955_2557764940537821228_o.jpg

It’s now just 10 days before the November 8, 2016 elections and as a long time cannabis activist I find myself contemplating what I have learned from the latest initiative, Prop 64: The Control, Regulate and Tax the Adult Use of Marijuana Act. First, the good. What Prop 64 has done well is prove that at the state level, the powers have endorsed an approach to the further mainstreaming of cannabis. The other thing Prop 64 has done is that it has brought spirited debate amongst those of us who have an interest in cannabis. Since it’s a long and complex document, it has forced us to closely consider the details within it and decide if, on the whole, Prop 64 represents cannabis law that is right for us personally and for fellow citizens. Unfortunately those positives don’t outweigh the fundamental problem with Prop 64 in that it attempts to make cannabis “recreational” which I have an issue with. What the rest of this paper will explore is why no law should exist that puts cannabis in a non-medical or recreational classification.

I co-authored Prop 215 back in 1996 which made it legal to use, possess and cultivate cannabis for medical reasons. I have never been an advocate of non-medical cannabis. I have always seen cannabis as a medicine. If we were to define medicine as a substance taken to provide relief, repair or prevention of an ailment or condition, cannabis would fit neatly within all three of those categories.

The implied definition of Cannabis as non-medical or recreational creates enormous problems when attempting to craft a regulatory framework that must provide equal protection under the law for both types of uses. So why wrestle with defining cannabis in either a medical or recreational context in the first place? Why spend spend all this time, money and energy to force the same plant being used for medical purposes into some type of legal framework that would it allow it to be marketed as recreational when it is no different in either form? It comes down to control and power over the plant and the control and power over the people who desire access to that plant. By creating a recreational classification for the same plant those who seek to control cannabis are gaining that control by invalidating the medical use of cannabis. The issue simply is that one substance cannot have two sets of laws applied to it and still claim equality when enforced.

The sad fact is that those globalists who refer to cannabis use as recreational, want to profit from it. Controlling cannabis in a recreational market provides the ruling class with a new vehicle for control of society and a new revenue stream. In spite of all the reasons that have been cited here to maintain a medicinal use only cannabis market, there may be a form of cannabis that could be distributed as an “over the counter” drug; one that has such a low percentage of THC that it would be in a class such as cough syrup; where certain genetics could be grown to meet that market? That I believe is an idea worth exploring and one that the 1% would quickly corner the market on. To that I say, “Have at it!”

Another thing to consider when attempting to classify cannabis as recreational is that is then associated with other recreational drugs such as tobacco and alcohol. There is a fundamental disparity in that logic. Alcohol does not have any medicinal value. It only has a recreational value which, when taken in excess, that value deteriorates to addiction. By simply being over a certain age you are not limited to how much alcohol or tobacco you can buy. With medical cannabis, a physician interface is a legal requirement prior to being given the right to cultivate or possess. Since cannabis does not present toxic threats that might occur with overconsumption of alcohol or tobacco, then hypocrisy would exist if cannabis was accepted as “recreational” and in the same category as alcohol or tobacco where a physician’s recommendation is not required. Cannabis should never be categorized as “recreational” and treated equal to alcohol. For that precise reason I have long advocated that cannabis be treated as a medicine. The fact that since 1996, with the passing of Prop 215, in the eyes of the State of California cannabis has been seen as a legally beneficial medicinal drug which puts it in a category that alcohol can not rise to. It’s not asking too much that cannabis remain a medically supervised drug with all the benefits realized under Prop 215. Under Prop 64, medicine to one person is seen as recreational to another. It makes no sense.

When considering the intent and purpose of any law that would control, regulate and tax cannabis, let’s not forget in the past 80 years, we have been imprisoned, lost jobs, lost families and paid heavy dues for pursuing the benefits of cannabis. While the passage of Prop 215 was an early sign of the people and governments recognition on the value cannabis holds to those who need it, the reality is we have continued to suffer by a government and legal system that has not taken Prop 215 seriously. If they had we would have built upon Prop 215 with additional framework, standards and protocols, such as: determining allowable pesticide toxicity limits; create pathways for bringing cannabis cultivation out of the shadows and into a regulated framework for the protection of farmers, employees and patient, especially in municipalities with discriminatory zoning laws; provide sick, disabled and dying patients fundamental rights to cannabis without aggressive prosecution; and introduce legislation that reduces and expunges sentences for cannabis related charges. Instead, government inaction has led us to an “all or nothing” vote on a proposed draconian fix which is Prop 64 that if passed would disembowel the freedoms that we earned under Prop 215.

What can we do about our current situation and where do we go from here? We begin by stopping Prop 64 in its tracks. This symbolizes the voters desire to see Prop 215 protected and not be taken over by a new initiative that allows a 2/3 majority vote of the Assembly to change or amend the voter intent. Prop 64 has such language. That type of language in any initiative/law is dangerous. What stops the government from later taking that 2/3 majority rule and turning into a simple majority rule? Nothing! It’s a slippery slope and one we as voters should never allow to happen, just because it seems convenient.

Once Prop 64 is defeated the next action would be a critical analysis of any bill subsequent to the passage of Prop 215 such as SB643, AB243, AB266 (MCRSA), as well as others to determine their constitutionality under Prop 215.

Once Prop 64 is defeated we must demand that legislators introduce a bill that would reduce and expunge cannabis related offenses. That has to stop now as it is morally and ethically wrong regardless of whether or not Prop 64 passes.

Once Prop 64 is defeated, we must eliminate the opportunity for family courts to use a medical card as ammunition against a parent who possesses or cultivates cannabis when seeking custodial rights. That has to stop now as it is morally and ethically wrong regardless of whether or not Prop 64 passes.

Once Prop 64 is defeated, the recognized medicinal value of cannabis would better serve the dialogue between countries with membership in signatory treaties (which prohibit the cultivation, possession or distribution of cannabis regardless of its use in any form), and might facilitate treaty compromises that don’t exist in the recreational arena.

Once Prop 64 is defeated we need to demand legislation that addresses our commercial cannabis farmers and their employees. They are the backbone of our industry and they tend to be the poorest of the poor. Their love for cannabis is what keeps them coming back to the industry to work. Let’s support them with a dignified livable wage, but in return they need to become trained and certified in best practices for water conservation, natural predator and/or organic pesticides, proper handling, storage and shipping of medical crops for patient safety and product purity.

Once Prop 64 is defeated we “the people” want to be invited to the table to draft laws and regulations that affect cannabis. This didn’t happen with Prop 64. Instead it opened our eyes to issues that resonate with the common people who will be most affected by the new legislation.

Prop 64 is a perfect example of how to write a bad cannabis law. It is and will remain priceless information for those of us who seek to maintain our freedom, civil liberties, human rights and sanity when we actually consider the benefits, or lack thereof, from any law that would attempt to fit a square peg into a round hole by forcing a “recreational cannabis” model into the framework of our “medical cannabis” industry. It doesn’t work for a very simple reason. Cannabis is not a “recreational” drug.

Respectively,

Dennis Peron

I would like to express my sincere appreciation to all those seasoned activists who for years have worked tirelessly to help create and protect our rights under Prop 215. Your efforts have assisted me, either directly or indirectly, in the development of this paper. Much love and respect goes out to: Jack Herer, Steve Kubby, Ed Rosenthal, Wayne Justmann, Wolf Segal, Casper Leitch, Joe Hemp and to the many others who contributed, but I have missed crediting by name. Thank you all. Our world is a much better place because of warriors like you. Stay strong! Stay vigilant!

http://151farmers.org/2016/10/29/why-cannabis-is-not-a-recreational-drug/

As much as I advocate for cannabis to be legalized in any form, I hate this form of elitism within the culture. Yes, cannabis has numerous medicinal uses and whatnot, but that in no way takes away from its recreational potential. To look down on people who use it for recreational purposes is no better than drinkers who look down on weed smokers and so on.

Another thing to consider when attempting to classify cannabis as recreational is that is then associated with other recreational drugs such as tobacco and alcohol. There is a fundamental disparity in that logic. Alcohol does not have any medicinal value. It only has a recreational value which, when taken in excess, that value deteriorates to addiction. By simply being over a certain age you are not limited to how much alcohol or tobacco you can buy. With medical cannabis, a physician interface is a legal requirement prior to being given the right to cultivate or possess. Since cannabis does not present toxic threats that might occur with overconsumption of alcohol or tobacco, then hypocrisy would exist if cannabis was accepted as “recreational” and in the same category as alcohol or tobacco where a physician’s recommendation is not required. Cannabis should never be categorized as “recreational” and treated equal to alcohol.

This kind of "logic" makes my brain shrink. So alcohol is toxic, has (apparently) no medicinal value, and it can be sold to anyone over a certain age if they want to use it for whatever purpose. On the other hand, cannabis is non-toxic, possesses medicinal properties, but cannot be sold to people over a certain age unless they have a doctor's go-ahead - god forbid they misuse the harmless substance! Logic, everyone.

As much as I advocate for cannabis to be legalized in any form, I hate this form of elitism within the culture. Yes, cannabis has numerous medicinal uses and whatnot, but that in no way takes away from its recreational potential.

I fully agree. I will go as far as to say the recreational part is the part that is healing to me. A loosening of consciousness that helps me review my day and make better decisions. The creativity that comes from a loosening of consciousness. The "high" is the healing part for me at the mental level. We live in a physical and mental world. To say cannabis is only a medicine for certain things makes my brain shrink too. And as long as alcohol is legal for all to use so should all plants.

We have a whole slew of substances like psychedelics and cannabis that heal through the mental areas of our being. Recreational to me is healing. Let's forget all the politics and politically correct stances on issues. ALL plants should (and at some point will) be legal for humanity to use.

I do not live in America so perhaps I can't appreciate some of the finer points of current American laws concerning cannabis, but I think it is clearly a false dichotomy to argue that something cannot be both recreational and medicinal at the same time. Plenty of substances which are considered purely medicinal by law actually also have significant recreational value, and perhaps if this was recognised it would be easier to tackle problematic usage without the inconvenient and obfuscating haze of legality and criminality getting in the way of any and all rational approaches and discussion.

Also given the scale of the struggle up to this point to get cannabis to a more accepted status, I think it is lunacy for anyone describing themselves as a cannabis advocate to argue AGAINST any initiative on the grounds that, basically, it will make cannabis TOO legal.

...I will just add also - cannabis IS a recreational drug. People use it recreationally. Ergo, it is recreational. You don't get to decide whether something is recreational or not depending on whether you agree with people's reasons for using it.

Last edited:
This is almost as moronic as the people claiming that cannabis is "not a drug" because it's a plant.

I live in California and I am a medical cannabis user and a recreational cannabis user. I am voting for the passage of Prop 64--Legalization--based on one thing and one thing only: to end prohibition which has contributed greatly to criminalizing people, destroying our most pristine environments, wreaking havoc on our already dwindling water supplies and bolstering the existence of cartels, foreign and domestic.

Do I think it is a good law to have on the books? Yes, and also, no (the no only comes from knowing what it will take to actually change it once it is on the books).

The Cons:The legal amounts you are allowed to grow for yourself are too low (6 plants) and why should there be any limits on how much of a legal substance you are allowed to possess?

The taxes will feel astronomical to the small growers but will be a drop in the bucket for large-scale growers. Maybe this is fine for recreational but no other medicine is taxed, yet this one will be. Will this make it harder for people to get medical cards? For instance, I use it for arthritis pain and insomnia--to doctors these do not carry the same weight as glaucoma and cancer. Will I be forced to buy recreational (taxed) for medicine?

There was no provision written into Proposition 64 that will prevent GMO strains. To some of us this is important as the venture capitalists are out for billions which makes the plant very vulnerable. I just feel it would have been nice and clean to have this written into the law along with the prohibition against patenting seeds.:)

Over-regulation. Any law that takes 60 pages to explain is going to necessitate a nightmare of a bureaucracy to implement.

The Pros:

For the first 5 years after passage no large-scale operations will be able to cultivate and sell marijuana, allowing small and medium sized growers to establish their businesses and "brand" their products without having to compete with industry monopolizers.

No taxes will go into the general fund but are distributed into research (medical and non-medical), drug-treatment, coming up with a fair way to test for driving impairment, environmental cleanup and restoration of public lands as well as for administration of the implementation of the new law.

Requires testing and labeling. This is important to me as a consumer when it comes to my food and just as important whether I am using it for recreation or medicine.

Prop 64 will allow anyone who has a prior conviction for marijuana to have his or her sentence curtailed if currently incarcerated and/or convictions expunged for previous convictions. (Of course this requires court review but I believe most people will be released/exonerated.)

I believe we could have had a better law. I believe we are handing over what used to be a beautiful underground culture to the corporations, government and lots and lots of greedy individuals (but that horse left the barn a long time ago). So you might wonder why I am such a strong supporter of it.....

Bottom line is this: prohibition must end.

Last edited:
There was no provision written into Proposition 64 that will prevent GMO strains. To some of us this is important as the venture capitalists are out for billions which makes the plant very vulnerable.

Could you elaborate?

I believe we could have had a better law. I believe we are handing over what used to be a beautiful underground culture to the corporations, government and lots and lots of greedy individuals (but that horse left the barn a long time ago). So you might wonder why I am such a strong supporter of it.....

Bottom line is this: prohibition must end.

Thank you for being reasonable. I see this argument by cannabis users everywhere, "corporations will take over", "the culture will die" and so on... but that is exactly the kind of status quo attitude we have to get rid of. Cannabis is becoming mainstream and people have to just get over it.

nice post, herbavore :)

one thing I don't get is this limitation to a certain number of plants... I mean you can have a plant outdoors which did well and is almost 3m tall. such a plant can easily produce 200g+ on its own. 6 of those might produce over a kg of quality outdoor marijuana.

you could also have a much smaller plant grown indoors, which will produce much much less product (allbeit probably stronger than the outdoor weed). so how do they account for such discrepancies in the law? I mean this ruling is supposed to limit consumers from producing too much (which is reasonable and also done regarding homebrew alcohol where I live), but shouldn't it be rather about how much actual product you produce?

either way, good for the USA to be on the front of cannabis legalization, at least one thing you guys seem to do right. :)

nice post, herbavore :)

one thing I don't get is this limitation to a certain number of plants... I mean you can have a plant outdoors which did well and is almost 3m tall. such a plant can easily produce 200g+ on its own. 6 of those might produce over a kg of quality outdoor marijuana.

you could also have a much smaller plant grown indoors, which will produce much much less product (allbeit probably stronger than the outdoor weed). so how do they account for such discrepancies in the law? I mean this ruling is supposed to limit consumers from producing too much (which is reasonable and also done regarding homebrew alcohol where I live), but shouldn't it be rather about how much actual product you produce?

either way, good for the USA to be on the front of cannabis legalization, at least one thing you guys seem to do right. :)

LOL, the day I produce a 3m plant outdoors is the day you will find me turning cartwheels naked in the streets.=D I wish. Anyway, I get your point but I guess the answer to your question would be another question: who would be coming around inspecting every single household's product? As I imagine it (and of course it remains to be seen) it will be exactly like home-brewing of alcohol; in other words, unless you have some kind of nosy, shitty neighbors that are going to make a call about you, no one is actually going to know if you have 2 plants or 10 plants. I grew two plants this summer and they perfumed the whole neighborhood every evening.:)

@Belligerent-- As the pressure mounts to wring every last dollar out of an inch of growing space for crops, the pressure also mounts for pesticides and genetically altered seeds that will be pest and fungus resistant. I have been actively fighting this in the food chain all my life and here was a chance to take a crop which has been illegal to grow, poised now at the starting gate for mass production, with all sorts of regulations being placed on the production; thus a perfect time to stipulate that no genetically altered strains could be grown here. For a lot of marijuana activists this was a terrible thing to have left out of the law.

I'm very optimistic about this fact. USA could be seen as the source of and the main pusher for the War on (recreational) Drugs (other than alcohol, nicotine, or caffeine). I think it's a very good sign if the system is starting to crumble from the inside. If the authors and propagandists of reefer madness bullshit are on their way to fully legalize the recreational use of the Devil's lettuce, I think we may be onto something here.

Belligerent-- As the pressure mounts to wring every last dollar out of an inch of growing space for crops, the pressure also mounts for pesticides and genetically altered seeds that will be pest and fungus resistant. I have been actively fighting this in the food chain all my life and here was a chance to take a crop which has been illegal to grow, poised now at the starting gate for mass production, with all sorts of regulations being placed on the production; thus a perfect time to stipulate that no genetically altered strains could be grown here. For a lot of marijuana activists this was a terrible thing to have left out of the law.

I'm sorry, but why are you against GMO cannabis? In literal terms, GMO means Genetically Modified Organism. I'm sure you know all this, but I'll say it regardless. You can modify the genome of an organism by introducing certain genes (which may be responsible for the sought-after phenotype) by using vectors (viruses, gene gun etc) carrying the DNA/gene by incorporating it into the genome of the organism in question. So the resulting organism has a modified genome and a different phenotype (such as higher THC, or better THC/CBD ratio). OR. You can do the same by doing selective breeding, which is what pot growers have been doing since the dawn of time. You select plants with more appealing phenotypes (such as higher THC) and let them reproduce, and discard the least appealing ones. This results in the change of the genome of the plant - genes responsible for more "favorable" qualities of the plant get passed along, and genes responsible for the least favorable ones, don't. Genetic engineering.

Except using the former approach (vectors) allows for more precise and quicker tinkering with the genome of the plant. People have to understand what GMO really is, and that we've been doing it for thousands of years with our foodstuffs. And that if done right, it's beneficial. This is what a non-GMO banana looks like.

7377f9b3a1.jpg

E: oh, and don't forget that if your pretty dog or cat is of a particular breed, then your pet is GMO.

Last edited:
Cannabis is a chemical tool. You can use it for good or bad. You can use it recreationally or medicinally, or both.

...I will just add also - cannabis IS a recreational drug. People use it recreationally. Ergo, it is recreational. You don't get to decide whether something is recreational or not depending on whether you agree with people's reasons for using it.

Sorry, but your logic doesn't check out.

People use it medicinally. Ergo, it is medicinal.

I'm sorry, but why are you against GMO cannabis? In literal terms, GMO means Genetically Modified Organism. I'm sure you know all this, but I'll say it regardless. You can modify the genome of an organism by introducing certain genes (which may be responsible for the sought-after phenotype) by using vectors (viruses, gene gun etc) carrying the DNA/gene by incorporating it into the genome of the organism in question. So the resulting organism has a modified genome and a different phenotype (such as higher THC, or better THC/CBD ratio). OR. You can do the same by doing selective breeding, which is what pot growers have been doing since the dawn of time. You select plants with more appealing phenotypes (such as higher THC) and let them reproduce, and discard the least appealing ones. This results in the change of the genome of the plant - genes responsible for more "favorable" qualities of the plant get passed along, and genes responsible for the least favorable ones, don't. Genetic engineering.

Except using the former approach (vectors) allows for more precise and quicker tinkering with the genome of the plant. People have to understand what GMO really is, and that we've been doing it for thousands of years with our foodstuffs. And that if done right, it's beneficial. This is what a non-GMO banana looks like.

7377f9b3a1.jpg

E: oh, and don't forget that if your pretty dog or cat is of a particular breed, then your pet is GMO.

I grew up for many years (in West Africa) eating bananas that looked very much like that, along with tiny, sweet oranges that were never orange, lemons that were green and tomatoes that had more flavor than the best wine in the world. I also love mutts.=D I am not a scientist nor even educated enough in the sciences to be able to argue this with you (and I don't say that disrespectfully, but respectfully). However gut level and emotional my response to GMOs may be, I feel at least somewhat validated by the last example you used-- domestic animals. Most breeds have been ruined to the point that they either have major health problems or, in the case of some dog breeds, cannot even breed without human intervention. Without getting into a huge political discussion here and derailing the thread I will say that humans, animals and plants coexisted quite well until we genetically altered ourselves into the planetary explosive virus we now are. That little banana was fine before we had to ship them around the world.

Maybe cannabis is medical for some people, but let's not forget that it is also the number one most widely used recreational drug in the world.

i respect your opinion and definitely see merit to it. But our western world would never accept that smoking a plant that intoxicates you as "medicine"...I agree with you i see herb as a spiritual medicine, but i think for legalizations sake they really have no choice but to call it a recreational drug

i respect your opinion and definitely see merit to it. But our western world would never accept that smoking a plant that intoxicates you as "medicine"...I agree with you i see herb as a spiritual medicine, but i think for legalizations sake they really have no choice but to call it a recreational drug

My husband takes pure CBD oil daily for lymphoma--his Stanford oncology team says the same thing every time we go in: "We don't know how you are doing it but keep doing whatever you are doing because you should be either very sick or dead this far after diagnosis". This compound comes from the same plant and does not make you high at all. My sister uses capsules that are a blend of melatonin and THC for insomnia--she may be intoxicated in her sleep but that's it. I think the overwhelming evidence in many anti-drug people's lives that marijuana is actually an amazing medicine for all sorts of uses makes it more acceptable, not less. We've had a legal medical status for years now but have so far been unable to break the recreational taboo.

I grew up for many years (in West Africa) eating bananas that looked very much like that, along with tiny, sweet oranges that were never orange, lemons that were green and tomatoes that had more flavor than the best wine in the world. I also love mutts.=D I am not a scientist nor even educated enough in the sciences to be able to argue this with you (and I don't say that disrespectfully, but respectfully). However gut level and emotional my response to GMOs may be, I feel at least somewhat validated by the last example you used-- domestic animals. Most breeds have been ruined to the point that they either have major health problems or, in the case of some dog breeds, cannot even breed without human intervention. Without getting into a huge political discussion here and derailing the thread I will say that humans, animals and plants coexisted quite well until we genetically altered ourselves into the planetary explosive virus we now are. That little banana was fine before we had to ship them around the world.

I understand your motives, and it's true that both selective breeding and directly modifying the genome of an organism may cause problems, but it's not always the case. If you can make a strain of cannabis have a THC/CBD ratio that is very good for medicinal purposes using "GMO technique", which is easier than selective breeding, then why not do it? I respect your wish for things to be "natural", but you also have to respect other peoples' wish for things to be better and more efficient.

I wouldn't be commenting if I didn't think it was important. I believe it's important to eliminate the fear of the new, such as the fear of modifying the genome of an organism with ways other than the "natural" selective breeding. It's not just about cannabis, but people fear GMO all over. And it comes down to lack of understanding (and I don't mean this disrespectfully) of how biology works.

So, to summarize my point, don't be afraid of GMO cannabis. Since you need and use it medically, look for relevant properties that determine the effectiveness of a particular strain for your purpose. Not whether it's "GMO" or not. :)

one problem with the current ongoings in GMO is that (as far as I am aware) a lot of effort is going into how to maximize profit for certain corporations rather than being benevolent for the human race. mostly it's more like getting plants to be immune to certain chemical agents or diseases, buit the consequence is that you have to keep buying seeds from the supplier, because these organisms cannot be used by the actual farmers to produce more seeds. so it is not a democratic way to do things, and I strongly believe that food and water, as the main need of everybody should not be subjected to financial interest and such.

what would be far more important than "better plants" is to globally introduce a more sustainable way of farming, with replenishing of soil, mandatory composting, using less fertilizer and less pestizides, and actually using natural mechanisms to get healthy crops. the loss of arable land due to industrial farming techniques is one of the main crisis humans have to face along with climate change in the near future, and of course these two are intertwined.

I say that not because of ideology (I am even slightly in favour of nuclear engery at the moment, allthough I think we need to move to much safer reactor types) but really because of pragmatism. this will be a huge challenge, and unfortunately one that isn't talked about nearly enough.