• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Klonopin blocking the effects of xanax/ativan?!

pahn

Bluelighter
I have a HUGE tolerance to benzos. i need to take 15mg xanax just to get a decent buzz. however, i usually only get my hands on benzos once maybe twice a week. it was about a two week stretch when i couldnt find anything so i traded a suboxone (im also on 8mg subs a day btw) for 20 mg klonopin. the kpins dont even touch me. i took all at once and they just calmed my anxiety. not even a hint of any kind of "high" effects. that night my buddy found 20mg xanax. i did the right thing and waited until the next day to take the xans cuz i didnt want to mix them, however when i took all 20 xanax i felt NOTHING!!! i was so confused and angry i didnt understand it. i even found 17 1mg ativan that i took on top of the xanax about 5 hours later...still nothing. it def took away my anxiety and made me feel tired, but not a SINGLE hint of being high. my eyes werent dialated, even my friends could tell i wasnt fucked up at all. i was sober as a fucking preacher. How did this happen? did the kpins override the xans and ativan in my system because of the rediculously long half life? and to those saying how insane my doses are...i know, trust me. there have been several times that i've taken over 50mg xanax and was fine. hell one time i took 120mg xanax in 36 hours. that was back when i was prescribed them, got kicked off em, had to go thru the whole wd phase...still feeling after effects 7 months later. thats why i just started taking benzos here and there again, i keep getting heart attack/stroke symptoms and if i take benzos the symptoms go away for a few days but they arent wd symptoms. i've had 2 mini strokes, and my oxygen level drops, heart rate skyrockets, my heart skips beats, im dizzy all day every day, and my tongue has been numb for 2 months straight. have i also mentioned that my memory is completely SHOT! the most alarming symptom is sharp pain in my heart, left chest, left shoulder and my left arm goes numb. the docs have all concluded that these are not signs of wd, but the benzos keep them at bay so i'd rather keep using occassionally than have a stroke and live as a vegetable.

i don't think the klonopins are doing anything to you specifically - your tolerance is just wayyyy too high

Get into an inpatient detox, with those doses withdrawal will most likely kill you

You might be experiancing the side effect of a too quick stop. I guess your tapper was too short and some part of your body are not able to regain stability, taking benzo ocasionnaly will make you feel better but will prevent your body to stabilize again. So treat the symptoms with anything that is not GABA related and slowly tapper off benzo again but gradually and over a long period of time, once you feel your body is gradually feeling better you can try and reduce those other meds. Benzo to cure a benzo WD side effect wont't help you on the long term, also I think being high on benzo is something you should forget and consider a simple bad idea considering your situation.

In my opinion based off of my experiences, the rumors of Klonopin blocking the effects of other benzos is simply a misconception: your tolerance gets too high with the intermediate-acting, long-lasting duration of klonopin to feel the cessation of rebound effects by taking a benzo, much like how methadone doesn't actually block opiates.

With that being said, please get on a benzo taper from a doctor (just explain the doses you're taking and that you want to get off safely), or even seek medical detox/inpatient rehab. Those doses are no joke, and with that kind of tolerance I'm guessing you have a massive physical dependence on benzos that damage your brain during withdrawal through glutamate-induced excitotoxicity and can even be fatal.