• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin How Long Will Shot Last

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyborgZero

Bluelighter
So I have a shot of H all ready to go, only problem, I can't find a vein. I only use the two inside elbows as spots to shoot and they both have lumps that are keeping me from finding a vein. Any times I tried shooting anywhere other than the inside elbows I couldn't find a vein. I'm going to have to save the shot until the bumps go away so I can shoot. There's a little bit of blood inside the syringe as well. I know bacteria will form which is bad to inject but I'm just wondering how bad it is if I wait say a couple days to inject the shot.

if u waited more then 3 minutes your shots ruined...

if you get blood in there i would say ur shots done if u have already shot it...

If you got a partial register but didn't find the vein properly there will usually be a clot of blood that forms in the headspace between the syringe and the needle. If you try to force this out while trying again you're just injecting a blood clot. If you have a luer-lok syringe at least clean out or change needles and spit the clot out of the disassembled syringe and as much blood as possible. Also any longer than 30 mins and your possibly looking at something similar to cotton fever. IME

Last edited:
Whenever there's a bit of blood at the bottom, draw in a few units of air and flip the syringe a few times to let the bubble go up and down- this will mix the blood in so that it doesn't form a clot and clog things up.
Unless there's something funky in your shot there's really not going to be much bacterial growth; you've got days if it's just a little blood.

Hydrolysis is going to be a concern if we're talking about days though... it's going to start breaking down to 6-MAM so will be weaker.

Ok I'm also wondering how long a shot without blood in it would last as well.

So far 3 very different responses; 3 mins, 30 mins, days. Keep 'em coming 'cause who can decide off that

From the master himself:

The problem you'll run into is this. Heroin hydrolysis is technically a reversible reaction, which means Le Chatelier's principle is at work. That means that no matter the pH, if you have a lot of heroin molecules and a lot of water molecules, some portion will always react to 3-MAM (or 6-MAM) and acetic acid. And unless you add a proportionally larger amount of acetic acid you aren;t going to shift the equilibrium in favor of heroin. Ergo, after a few hours at worst and days at best, all heroin in a wet environment will degrade to morphine.

If you HAVE to keep it in aqueous solution, keep the pH adjusted with a buffering agent to as neutral as possible. Add EDTA to to bind any metals that may catalyze hydrolysis as well, and even then - after about a week I would say they've all turned back to plain morphine anyway, just due to plain statistics.

sekio

Last edited:
I've done shots more times than I can count that were registered/filled with blood for over an hour (never more than an hour and a half, personally, though) because I was too high to find a vein and stay in it.

I've never had any issue with cotton fever or anything like that. Clotting can be an issue, but as long as I squirt the blood in the head of the needle out immediately before it can coagulate it's been fine for me. If the shot is too hard to push come time to shoot, or there's any noticeable increase in plunger resistance, then I won't shoot it but this rarely happens.

Keep in mind that bacteria multiply exponentially, so obviously the longer you wait the larger the risk you are taking with the shot, but to say 30 minutes = cotton fever is way overkill.

i've done shots that sat with blood in them overnight. I've also had rigs clog and spit out the contents into my spoon so I could suck it up with another needle, then later shot a rinse taken from the spoon with dried blood in it. I have no idea what kind of risks I took doing those things, but I can't recommend it.

^ Okay people have gotten away with the practice a few times, but bacteria grows in that blood, and you're risking your life everytime you shoot blood that has sat.

If you're register.. push the plunger, or throw it out..
Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.