• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Please tell me what to expect for my heroin WITHDRAWALS! HELP!

Sharp91

Greenlighter
Hello,

I have been using Heroin IV once or twice a day for 2 weeks straight, and smoking for about a month. If I were to quit cold turkey today how bad would the withdrawals be, what can I expect? How long will the physical discomfort last? If anyone has any helpful hints to speed up the process or make it more bearable that would be really cool. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated. I am ready to be clean, just want to know what I'm in for, do I need to get my shifts covered and such.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to Bluelight, please refrain from referring to yourself ad SWIM, it really does not protect you and it's against the forum guidelines. If you have a minute, go over the guidelines so you know how to create a suitable post.

Also, I have noticed you have created quite a few of the same threads in different forums; this will probably be closed. Only post one thread per question, I assure you it will get answered in good time.

There are medications you can acquire that will relieve your symptoms, but be prepared to feel like death. Quitting cold turkey can be pretty horrible (trust me, I know) and you'll spend days in bed, not wanting to move, vomiting & in pain. One important part of determining your withdrawals is the amount of heroin you used daily. I suggest some sort of taper plan if you can.

When the appropriate thread remains, I'll be glad to give you more insight on the withdrawal process. Good luck.

It probably wont be too bad. Physically you will experience some insomnia along with aching muscles, sneezing, and inability to regulate your body temp properly. Will last 4-5 days with the peak being day 3.

Find some gabapentin and clonidine. They are your friend. A long acting benzo like clonazepam will also help tremendously, but really what you want are gabapentin and clonidine. And a nice hot bath. And a walk. Ideally with a dog. Under burning ambers.

But if you can't get all that, just the gabapentin and clonidine would make a HUGE difference.

And if you can't get anything at all, you'll peak through the worst of it at the end of Day Four. Day Four is really the hardest day IMHO, but also the best, because afterwards you know it's almost over. Most of the shittiest parts of acute withdrawal resolve around day 7.

[~junkie wisdom~]

Sharp, you might also want to get anti-nauseating medication of some sort, either gravol or the generic version dimenhydrinate to alleviate those symptoms. Clonidine for me personally wasn't very effective, which surprised a few people here as they would swear by it, it seems. Immodium or Kaopectate will help with the diarrhea you may end up experiencing, but please refrain from taking either of those unless you actually get diarrhea. It is possible that you might not get diarrhea as bad as someone who has been using for a longer period of time. I recommend that you get some anyways, it will be a lot of an easier time for you to have it when you need it, as opposed to having to get it when you find out you do, or waiting for someone to get it for you. Is this your first time going through this? Speak to your doctor, they are there to help, and will offer a great many resources to you as well as this. Be prepared to be an emotional wreck, at times you will want to die, but there is hope, the pain will end. I wish you the best Sharp, keep posting on your progress when you decide to go about it, there is a lot of wise people on here who are ready to help you with this struggle. ;)

You will feel gross for 7-10 days but if you do not have a long history of opiate use your brain will repair very quickly and ull be happy in a month.

You will feel gross for 7-10 days but if you do not have a long history of opiate use your brain will repair very quickly and ull be happy in a month.

You may still experience occasional sorrow however :p ;)

​Sometimes I don't like to ask people what to expect. You are asking for their personal experience, which although has a lot in common with everyone in a kicking situation, will not necessarily be like yours. My husband had been using heroin for 10 years longer than me, when I was in my 20s, he told me that he got strung out quicker and the kick was worse, and I thought it was a justification for him needing more dope... Jump ahead 30 years. Ok, he was right. If I get a $20, I'm gone. That's all there is to it. In three days, it is ALL I CAN THINK ABOUT, AND ALL I CAN DO. and then, I won't stop until I am in a hospital or a prison/jail, or worse. There is great benefit to getting out before you trash everything you are/have. You don't have to lose everything and alienate everyone, you can kick this time and not ever do it again. You could take advantage of people who have been down that long road, you could. I hope you do. I guess I don't hate it all because everything I've been through has brought me to where I am, and that is a more aware place, with more inclination to spiritually advance than lots of people... but it was not so much fun, you know? and it was hard. and I am lucky, and I hope you are lucky too. sorry this is so long. I got carried away. I really hope you do well and I will think of you often in the days to come. Sharon.