• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Status Update on Manboychef

Moreaux

Bluelight Crew
As I'm sure many of you have noticed Manboychef has not been on Bluelight much in the last few weeks. He messaged me earlier today requesting that I give a status update on his behalf. He has been suffering from an extreme episode of OCD lately, and has been working with a doctor to get it under control. As of this afternoon, he is doing significantly better than he has been so I am hopeful that he will be feeling better in the near future. Manboychef has been very strong and diligent in working through this latest OCD episode, and has also been very determined not to lose perspective, which I give him credit as it's really hard to stay positive and focused during an OCD episode. During this time he has not given up his goal of sobriety, and has endured this episode completely sober which is very commendable and take so much strength and courage. We have texted back and forth for the last few weeks and he has gone through some very dark times and extreme isolation, but the entire time he was determined to get beyond this set back, and to do so while remaining sober. While this has been a very difficult and unpleasant experience, I have no doubt that this was an invaluable opportunity for him to learn more about himself and to learn new healthier and productive coping mechanisms, and he will come out of this stronger than ever.

For those of you unfamiliar with OCD, it can be a devastating condition that ebbs and flows depending on environmental factors and general health. When the OCD is extreme, it is not uncommon to be completely immobilized from the condition, and it takes time to get through the flare-ups when they happen. There are some medications that are available to treat it, those primarily being SSRIs and benzodiazapines. To truly learn to live and function with OCD it is best to pair medication therapy with a mindful based therapy such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) as the medication alone will not stop all of the symptoms or the thought patterns, and the medication is also tolerance building so the same medication is often not always a long term solution

There are many misconceptions regarding OCD thanks to the way it is portrayed in the media. Often when one hears OCD they think about a person who is excessively clean or tidy, or somebody that washes their hands 100's of times a day. While some sufferers do display these traits, OCD is a much more complex disorder that have multiple facets and symptoms. OCD can manifest in behavior patterns (clean, hand washing, etc) but it also manifests in obsessive intrusive repetitive thoughts as well, which also have a broad range in and of themselves. Some sufferers excessively worry or ruminate often losing sleep or to the detriment of other obligations or activities. Thoughts can range from number obsession and counting to having to verify multiple times that an action has been performed (ie checking five times to make sure the front door is locked before going to bed) to thoughts of harming a loved one (people with OCD who have these fears are not dangers to others as they do not act on these thoughts, and more often than not these types of thoughts are deeply disturbing to them). OCD is a very complex disorder, but it is manageable with medication and therapy. Sometimes if the therapy is successful sufferers are able to learn how to manage and cope with their OCD without requiring medications.

At any rate, just wanted to give a quick update as to Manboychef's situation. Feel free to make comments as he will be reading this thread and I'm certain your kind words and support will help facilitate his recovery. I was intentionally vague with details as I don't want to over step my bounds, but feel free to ask questions.

Love you Z! I'll give you a ring tomorrow. If you're up for it I'd love to check in with you.

Thank you Moreaux for making this thread!

:| THANK YOU, Moreaux, for letting us know about MBC...

(((HUGS))) of support through cyberspace, MBC. I'm so sorry you're going through this right now. I know you are working through many things, not the least of which is the OCD. I know firsthand the terror of those intrusive thoughts.

My husband of 36 years says "think happy thoughts". I love him dearly, but he has no fucking clue of what truly takes place in my mind.

You are smart. You are kind. You are important to so many of us. You can do this. Let us help if we can.

Your a tough dude mbc hang in there. Pm me or call me if you want

MBC -

i was wondering where you had been - I, for one, certainly noticed your absence. I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well! I can't wait until you are able to come back and tell us yourself how things are going. But meanwhile, I am sending you all my happy thoughts and hoping you feel better soon.

Moreaux, thank you for passing along the message!

- VE

Oh man, I'm sorry. Please know how much we all love and respect you here and that we want you to take whatever time you need for you. I'm glad that you have Moreaux in your corner! <3

Thank you all for the support. It has been a very troubling few weeks for me. I'm still not sleeping but I've actually been eating. I can leave my room and get a few things done, but I still can't spend any real time in my computer room. I am hoping by next week I have the courage to do so. I will tell you all what happened.

I am so happy I stayed sober. I also turned down scripts for Benzos though I knew they would give me instant relief.

Special thanks to moreaux for being a sympathetic ear.

So glad you are starting to feel better. OCD is so difficult to live with at times, but you handled this episode like a pro. Whether you think so or not, how you reacted to this setback really shows just how far along the path to health you have traveled as you stayed strong and choose healthy options to navigate through this time and kept your recovery in your focus. You didn't give up and relapse and that speaks volumes for where you are at in your recovery. As miserable as this time has been for you, you are stronger for it. You now know first hand that you can overcome these episodes with positive healthy intervention and that you don't have to fall back into addiction, and imo that exponentially increases your resilience.

=D ^^^ indeed, Moreaux. Good stuff.

Stay strong, MBC...You can do this. So good to hear from you.

MBC!

I'm so happy to hear that you are doing better! It sounds like you still have some recovering to do, but at least you are headed in the right direction - and you are heading there sober, which is so amazing!! Keep up the good work!

- VE

Manboychef, as Moreaux said, it should be a great source of comfort to know that you dealt with this episode without drugs. We all recognize the extent to which addiction is tied to the pain and suffering (whether it is discomfort or deeper suffering) of the mind and or body and that it makes sense that people would want to self-medicate. The fact that you are going through an extreme state without going back to something you know will hurt you in the long run is courageous. I too hope that you can conquer the fears that still remain but the fact that you got through the worst of it sober is amazing and I hope it gives you a sense of true accomplishment.

I am so glad to hear that you are doing O.K. I was wondering what had happened to you. I Hope the OCD gives you a little break soon. Miss ya buddy. Sober Living isn't the same without ya.