• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc My phenibut taper

fooman

Greenlighter
Hey all, I'm currently trying to taper down on phenibut, I was maxing out at around 2g a day over the last few months.

I went cold turkey but it was a really bad week of depression and anxiety. I'm currently back up to around 1-1.5g per day, a bit less than before I started CT.

I plan to taper very slowly over the next few weeks/months, substituting theanine and other soft otc substances to assist where possible.

I hope this thread can be helpful for other people tying to taper down their phenibut usage!

This thread is about quitting phenibut.

Good luck with the taper! I just finally got to the other side after 7 days from quitting Phenibut cold turkey. It was hell.

So my update for today, I have a milligram scale coming in the mail so I can be very precise with my dosages. It should be here next week.

Yesterday, I had 1.5g total, a little more than the 1g I had averaged the previous two days. I took the extra 0.5 right before I left the house to go to a labor day bbq thing. Social situation like that is why I started on the phenibut in the first place.

In the 1g-1.5/day range I was aiming for, I remain cautiously optimistic I can do this...

strity1994 - hey, great! I'm glad you feel like you're on the other side of it. It's insane this stuff is legal, isn't it?!?!

So my update for today, I have a milligram scale coming in the mail so I can be very precise with my dosages. It should be here next week.

Yesterday, I had 1.5g total, a little more than the 1g I had averaged the previous two days. I took the extra 0.5 right before I left the house to go to a labor day bbq thing. Social situation like that is why I started on the phenibut in the first place.

In the 1g-1.5/day range I was aiming for, I remain cautiously optimistic I can do this...
The days where you have to be around people, I guess its fine to use a little more than you intended to. Then maybe try to reduce it to 1g on "off" days where you won't mind the discomfort too much?

I was out being social yesterday, still only maxed out at 1g! Holding steady in that range. Still waiting on scale in the mail. Other supplements seem to be helping!

Bizarrely, yesterday I had 0 phenibut and felt great. Today woke up with pretty bad anxiety, had 0.5g. Not sure what's going on, but yesterday was really good. No phenibut, no anxiety or massive depression. There's a lot of OTC stuff I'm taking to help with this, some of it must be helping!

Just be careful, because phenibut has a really long half life and duration of action.
If you stop taking it too abruptly you could risk serious health problems such as seizures.
It's a good idea to taper down as steadily as possible with these kinds of things.
Glad to here it is going ok - you're doing well, keep it up!

So I started my taper. I'm doing -10mg per day. So I had 990mg yesterday. Yes this is a slow af taper. Months to get to zero. But I don't see the harm in going slow and steady.

The massive anxiety I had when I went cold turkey is a thing of the past, thank god.

FWIW I've been using theanine[1] and inisotol[2] as of a week ago. They seem to be helping? It's hard to say with all the chemicals pumping around

I take the inisotol before bed, it seems to help with the "waking up with anxiety in the pit of my stomach" symptom

[1] http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/UQ:284103
[2] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9169302

Last edited:
Slow and steady is certainly the way to go with tapers from GABAergic drugs.

Are you getting any medical support through this? Is that an option?
It really couldn't hurt to get a check-up every now and then, but by the same token, if you're able to stick to a taper schedule and approach it with discipline, i think you should be fine.

As for the supplements, i honestly don't know the answer to that.
All the best with the taper, and please - let us know how you're going as your dose continues to drop.
I think this is important information that there doesn't seem to be a great deal of knowledge of (medically or anecdotally, at least as far as i know), so please keep us posted!

So I started my taper. I'm doing -10mg per day. So I had 990mg yesterday. Yes this is a slow af taper. Months to get to zero. But I don't see the harm in going slow and steady.

The massive anxiety I had when I went cold turkey is a thing of the past, thank god.

FWIW I've been using theanine[1] and inisotol[2] as of a week ago. They seem to be helping? It's hard to say with all the chemicals pumping around

I take the inisotol before bed, it seems to help with the "waking up with anxiety in the pit of my stomach" symptom

[1] http://espace.library.uq.edu.au/view/UQ:284103
[2] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9169302
Thats awesome dude keep us updated.
How are u feeling now? Anxiety levels ok?

Down to 970mg now. Anxiety seems to be doing okay.

You can definitely go down by 25mg per day.

10mg per day may be a little to slow, because it means you will still be taking between 700-1000mg per day for a whole month which is just getting your brain even more habituated to having close to a gram of phenibut each day.

25mg a day is still a rather slow taper, but it will take only a little more then a month total to get to zero.

I have experience with phenibut tapering and 25mg less per day shouldn't even be noticeable a noticeable drop and should be a smooth and comfortable taper.

10mg less each day is overkill imo and unnecessarily slow.

I reckon 1g is not much at all. But already enough to feel the nasty side effects (weird leg pain, warm hands and flashin face). Interesting but weird stuff. Plus it enhances emotional feedback viciously. Anyway it can be useful.

I'm not sure but if you are ready physically (do you have a vacation for CT?) but 1g sounds like a good dose to jump off. I recommend high doses of L-Theanine as a remedy. Pretty non-addictive in my experience. Feels more natural by a longshot.

I found it's better to reduce by the percentage of your dose, say 10% a week, opposed to 10mg a week.. just my $.02

good advice all, thanks (except the guy who advised going cold turkey - read my original post). I think I will step it up to 25mg a day

does anyone have advice for # of dosages per day? Should I split it up, or take it all at once?

You should immediately dose down to 500mg and cycle off at the same time with L-Theanine. Of course you'll never know until you've tried it.

You can definitely go down by 25mg per day.

10mg per day may be a little to slow, because it means you will still be taking between 700-1000mg per day for a whole month which is just getting your brain even more habituated to having close to a gram of phenibut each day.

25mg a day is still a rather slow taper, but it will take only a little more then a month total to get to zero.

I have experience with phenibut tapering and 25mg less per day shouldn't even be noticeable a noticeable drop and should be a smooth and comfortable taper.

10mg less each day is overkill imo and unnecessarily slow.
I agree with this severity of withdrawals are not just determined by dosage but duration . The longer you take phenibut the more likely your body is going to get used to it, worse the withdrawals will be. At under 1g ur so close dude to making a jump. You can taper off by -250 mg every 3 days.

Ziiirp - I can try that, you sound knowledgeable. So you're saying just go right to 500mg, and then go down -25mg/day from there? I have L-Theanine powder and tablets, any advice on how much to take?