• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Just diagnosed with ADHD... strattera is useless to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilove2nod

Bluelighter
I was just diagnosed to have ADHD by a new psychiatrist I have never seen before. I have always known I had either ADD or ADHD but have never really worried about it until I started working a very fast paced tedious job with a boss who is constantly telling me to "hurry up!" or "get your head out of your ass!", and then I noticed it was becoming a burden on my life. The doctor who gave me the diagnosis wasn't into stimulant meds so she gave me Strattera which I have given a chance to help me over the past 3 weeks plus, with absolutely no positive effects on my ADHD issues.

So over the past few months my sub doctor (a different doctor than than the psychiatrist I saw) whom I have a very good relationship with has been telling me to get evaluated for ADD/ADHD and she would right me a script for Adderall or something similar depending on if it was ADD or ADHD. I am due to see her in the next week or so and am just wondering what you guys think I would be given for ADHD after telling her Strattera is useless for me. What is the most commonly prescribed med for ADHD? Ritalin IR or SR? Vyvanse? Adderall IR or XR? just wanted to see if any one has been through anything similar and what is given to you to start out? BTW I am now taking Buprenorphine 8mg a day and Klonopin 1mg 3x a day. Any input would be great!

A few years ago my doc sent me home without an Adderall 20mg IR script, that I had been taking for quite sometime, and instead I got 2 or 3 sample/trial bottles of Strattera (can't remember how many came in those bottles) - It was garbage. It could be a miracle pharm. for someone out there, but not myself nor helped anyone that I've witnessed myself.

As for the choice of medicine that would best suit you would really take a couple of months of trail-and-error.

As for someone with ADHD also - I can say that Ritalin never helped me much either. I've had much more success with Vyvanse as opposed to Adderall, but that's honestly because of my tendency to abuse amphetamines. That's quite a large dose of Klonopin throughout the day (especially since the Buprenorphine will potentiate the Kpin - or is it the other way around?) so I would assume you'll start off at around a middle-size dosage rather than starting really low like I did.

Last edited:
Yeah, I've got ADD pretty bad myself, but i'm afraid to ask my doctor for help.

He already Rx's me 90 10/325 hydros every month, I'm afraid that asking for an ADHD med may throw up a red-flag and push my luck...maybe get me kicked out even if he's on a bad day or whatever, who knows.

But yeah, if they gave me Strattera that would suck just as bad probably!

But when I was 16 the first med Rx'd to me for it was ADDERALL xr....if I could get back on it, and keep my pain pills, I'd actually maybe be a productive member of society.

I am due to see her in the next week or so and am just wondering what you guys think I would be given for ADHD after telling her Strattera is useless for me. What is the most commonly prescribed med for ADHD? Ritalin IR or SR? Vyvanse? Adderall IR or XR? just wanted to see if any one has been through anything similar and what is given to you to start out? BTW I am now taking Buprenorphine 8mg a day and Klonopin 1mg 3x a day. Any input would be great!

Sorry, but this is not suited for OD. OD is for harm reduction questions.
Just be honest with her and tell her that the Strattera is doing nothing for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.