• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Can diphenhydramine and nicotine clear opiates from your body faster?

Bomb319

Bluelighter
For me, methadone.

I feel like I nearly always begin to go through withdrawal significantly earlier when I take a large amount of diphenhydramine regularly. Nicotine (consumed from a vape) also seems like it may have a similar, but much lesser effect. I've been taking diph every night to sleep for at least 15 years, and more recently, during the day at times to potentiate methadone. Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with this? Another thing is that even though the diph still can produce a strong drowsiness effect if I take enough, it's probably 100% psychological in its ability to help me sleep. Often I take several of them, end up watching TV or going online instead of sleeping, then take more. I want to stop taking them because of this, and also because they get really expensive to constantly buy, it becomes a huge pain to always have to make sure I have some on me, etc. It also has a synergistic effect on my methadone, so missing a dose will actually cause opiate withdrawal - sometimes severe.

It's hard to stop taking a drug you can buy OTC at any pharmacy. Even if I could sleep just fine without them, it's the anxiety of not having them and therefore not being able to sleep or the anticipation of opiate withdrawal that really get to me.

If anything the diphenhydramine should potentiate the methadone and make it last longer

It potentiates it at the time I take it, but it doesn't last longer. To me, this makes sense logically - if a substance is going to make another drug stronger, the original drug should "burn out" faster. I would assume that at least some of that potentiation would have to be due to more of the drug binding to the mu receptors and not in actual increase in potency. Therefore, it would be used up faster at least in theory..no?

I was under the impression it slowed the metabolism of the drug, therefor prolonging its duration, but I could be wrong. Someone else perhaps is better suited to answer this question.