• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Is it normal to feel nothing on adderall?

DrugsInc

Greenlighter
Hello, I was diagnosed with ADHD and was given a script for adderall xr 20mg once a day, which I just started my first dose today. I took it around 4 and a half hours ago and don't feel much of anything except a slightly anxious feeling in my stomach(I was also diagnosed with social anxiety disorder but do not take any medication for it). I smoked a blunt and a roach 3 hours before I took the pill and was at the end of my high when I took it. I had the munchies and ate alot of food which may have slowed down absorption. I jacked off earlier and lasted much longer than expected and barely came, it almost became painful. Is this normal not to feel anything for someone with ADHD and taking adderall? this is the first time I have taken the pill. I feel only slightly more focused, my mood is a little better, and my workout felt a little bit easier today and I felt like I had more stamina. Is this normal? thanks in advance.

I also took the generic if it matters. Please comment ASAP and provide any information please I am desperate.

Different people react differently to drugs. I know people who have ADHD and when they take Adderall/Dexedrine they calm down, and get more focused and it's not like they are high on the Dexedrine.

I apparently have ADD and when I would take a low dose of Adderall IR or Dexedrine at 5-15mg orally it would sometimes put me to sleep, or I could take it in the late afternoon/early evening and still easily fall asleep that night.

If you have questions about Adderall or Dexedrine, or how you are reacting talk to your doctor that prescribes the drug to you.

Yes, it is quite normal not to feel an amphetamine rush, and to feel more focused at that dose, especially ex release. That's a good indicator that you're at the right dosage. If you feel a "high", or a "buzz", you're taking too much, what you should be aiming for is increased concentration and attention span.

- Hopeless Soul

Thanks. I know a tolerance should build, and I need to see my doctor again when my script runs out if I want to refill so I guess a new dosage will be administered at that time? Also is it normal to get adderall 20mg xr as a first script? And really I can't tell if I am focusing better I just feel like i'm not as hyper as I usually would be at this time. Also how long before I should expect the effects to ware off and will I experience a come down? Sorry for asking so many questions, my doctor didn't provide too much info on the side effects or effectiveness and I did not talk to the pharmacist about it.

Yes, it is quite normal not to feel an amphetamine rush, and to feel more focused at that dose, especially ex release. That's a good indicator that you're at the right dosage. If you feel a "high", or a "buzz", you're taking too much, what you should be aiming for is increased concentration and attention span.

- Hopeless Soul

I agree with the first part, not necessarily the second, 20mg xr adderall I believe that half of it is immediately released whereas the other half is slowly released throughout the next twelve or so hours, so you're only getting 10mg released immediately which for me has always been the threshold dose for effect at a baseline tolerance, meaning it'd be just enough to feel something. I always though felt a slight buzz from adderall even when I was taking the same dose every day, then again I plugged it which provides a quicker onset and more of a rush.

If you have bad anxiety amphetamines may not be the best choice for you, or you should try dexadrine which doesn't have the levo isomer, making it a smoother ride. Whatever you do, don't switch to methylphenidate, I find it to be much more abrasive (like cocaine) and asking myself "will this hell ever end?" but that's just my opinion, everyone reacts differently.

Even with no tolerance; if you're ADD/ADHD is severe enough; you won't feel much more than 20-40 minute "peak" and then just ...Normal+alert feeling for 4-6 hours off 20mgXR; IMHO

taking 40mg XR can be a totally different ride that leaves you "geek'd" out. You might feel good as fuck popping 40-60mg on the weekends, but eventually it will give you a body load+mad anxiety+agitation

Be careful with taking it everyday; you can end up focusing on stupid shit that you shouldn't be so focused on.

One thing I have noticed with people prescribed Adderall is that as much as it is a "forgiving" stimulant...It can turn you into a zombie when used daily. With that in mind, I still beleive it's pro's outweigh it's cons.

The comedown on Adderall is very forgiving.

Even with no tolerance; if you're ADD/ADHD is severe enough; you won't feel much more than 20-40 minute "peak" and then just ...Normal+alert feeling for 4-6 hours off 20mgXR; IMHO

taking 40mg XR can be a totally different ride that leaves you "geek'd" out. You might feel good as fuck popping 40-60mgon the weekends, but eventually it will give you a body load+mad anxiety

Be careful with taking it everyday; you can end up focusing on stupid shit that you shouldn't be so focused on.

One thing I have noticed with people prescribed Adderall is that as much as it is a "forgiving" stimulant...It can turn you into a zombie when used daily. With that in mind, I still beleive it's pro's outweigh it's cons.

The comedown on Adderall is very forgiving.

Thats the thing tho, I smoked weed earlier so maybe it interfered but I felt no high from this. I did feel sleepy which might have been the weed, but within the first hour and a half I felt nothing. Since then i've just kept like a subtle anxious feeling in my stomach and I have no interest in eating.

Adderall was originally for Obesity. Binge eating disorder ETC* I'm not a doctor; but I believe that tingly sensation in you're stomach is from dopamine or wanting to bust a nut

I'm being 100% with you when I say that I have been on 60mg before to study for a test; I smoked a 0.1g of "Medical" Bud; and I was literally "Stupified" for 3 hours. I didn't study shit.

Adderall+Weed can be hella fun to mix...Be slick, use the weed for the comedown....Once you start waking up; popping adderall and then smoking bud...You're brain will give out on you. and you'll be a shaky twitchy mess

Last edited:
Recreationally, snorting 40mg, over the span of 6-8 hours gave me a good stimulant feel, once I go to 60mg I start to get sweaty palms and I'm chewing cheeks lol x] And as someone touched on before, the comedown with poor man's coke, is a lot lighter than actual coke.

- Hopeless Soul

I was also prescribed 20 mg xr adderall in my teen years. Actually, I started on ritalin in middle school, then in highschool read about the side effects of dextroamphetamine and got my doctor to switch me over. It's very normal not to "feel" anything. At doses of 20 mg, the effects are definitely subtle, and that dosage is better used for concentration unless the beads got crushed and snorted+parachuted. At 30 mg, effects are much stronger. But I would advise AGAINST trying to get any sort of high from Adderall... Although you get very social and up beat, the "rush" is not worth the crash. Unfortunately with amphetamines, the side effects such as jaw clenching, irritability, lack of appetite and insomnia last a lot longer than the actual "high" may last. I got down to 125 pounds after a year of getting high off adderall and not eating.

Your doctor isn't going to prescribe you a dose that will get you high. He is trying to find the right dose that will help you focus, but not give you any euphoria. Amphetamines will make you last longer, but it shouldn't have been painful. If it becomes more painful you should stop taking it and talk to your doctor, but yes, everything you're experiencing is normal.