• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Drinking alcohol first time advice

g_dan1

Bluelighter
Hello everyone!
i am 18 years old and somehow I have never had alcohol before. My dad was a big drinker when I was a kid and he would always get very pissed and loud when he was drunk. This made me stay away from alcohol for a while. I have been smoking weed for about a year now and I tried adderall. I'm sorry if this thread seems stupid to you but I just wanted to ask someone for advice and know what exactly I'm gonna be doing 8(

I am planning to drink with my friends at the New Years party.
My questions:
1) what exactly should I drink and how much? Wine, beer, vodka? I don't wanna get shitfaced, just relaxed and more social. I am about 140 lbs and 5'10
2) how long will the buzz last?
3) how will it make me feel? Will I even notice any 'effect' ? Is it anything like weed? I know it will make me feel relaxed and more social
4) is it euphoric?
5) how do I avoid a hangover?

thanks!

i suggest beer to start out with as i am on my 9th heineken now thats the brand id recommend have enough till you are where you want to be. the buzz lasts as long as your drinkin. it will make you feel dizzy and have loss of inhibitions (so that hot braud you have been wanting to ask out DO IT). accept the hangover and take it as a learning experience.

sincerly,
yer friendly neighborhood alcoholic

You didn't ask a stupid question. It's about a drug. Whatever you drink, you don't know how it will effect you. Did you smoke any weed? Any pills? How much food is in you? Those are factors for future reference. First time out? No vodka. If it's beer, one beer. Start slow. See how it effects you. Wine? A glass. A glass of wine, can of regular beer and a shot of vodka have roughly the same amount of alcohol. however, they hit you differently. Really, I advise no vodka. You'll learn more from glass of wine or beer. I'd say beer. Sip a beer. Forget everyone else. Learn what your ingesting. If it's beer, it has to be cold. Wine cooler, but not super cold. Also, if your drinking beer, stick with beer. Don 't start mixing. I can't tell you about buzz or length. No it's not like weed, at all. A beer or two, you should notice a subjective nice feeling. Also, drink water or gatorade. That will help prevent hangover. Its up to you, but no mixing IMO and take it easy. Ask an alcoholic how fun living out of a bottle is. It's not. That's why you start easy and appreciate the subtle nice parts of the experience. I do not advise you doing other drugs. Learn how alcohol is on it's own.

Pull up the wrong account there speed king? Kind of makes me wonder if youre the original poster.

Start off with beer that's what I did and just drink a couple don't overdo it or you'll end up puking or doing something stupid or both. Also for each beer a glass of water or at least one glass of water after two if you want to avoid a hangover.

I think it takes a lot less for someone alcohol naive to get drunk than people think. 1-2 drinks at first (1 beer, glass of wine, shot of liquor (I believe it may actually be 1.5 oz. that is a drink). Your body processes alcohol differently than most drugs- as opposed to a half-life it is processed at 1 drink an hour. So have a drink (I might actually say a shot but DON'T start guzzling hard liquor; the shot hits quickly and you know the effects within like 10 minutes) and then have another if you don't feel right. Once you get to where you want to be drink about a drink an hour. Also, weed mixed with alcohol tends to cause the spins.

I would agree to start really small. Booze is tricky because before you get a handle on how it affects you, you can easily drink way too much since you can't parse the lag time between drinks since it takes time to hit you. I can easily time now when I've had too much but when I was younger I would just chug it down until alcohol poisoning. Of course tolerance plays a part too.

I would start with one shot of liquor or one glass of wine or a tall boy of beer (preferably the beer)

Though honestly if I had alcoholism in my family I would stay far away from alcohol. That shit makes real alcoholics (at least the ones I seen) act crazy.

In my first times 2-3 beers was all I needed to be normal drunk.if you prefer something else wine is ok for begginers. 1-2 glasses would be good for you. Alcohol lasts for 5 hours if you only drink once or else if you drink for 2-3hrs the buzz may last 7-8hrs. Don't drink too much to avoid hangover plus water is a must

I'm probably one of the few that doesn't really like alcohol at all. It's probably my least favorite drug.

However, you've already been given the best recommendations by speedking and such. Just drink beer, and sip slowly. You won't end up getting shitfaced or blacked out unless you purposefully keep drinking more once you already have a good buzz going on.

Alcohol doesn't feel anything like weed. It's more like a benzo in terms of effects, as it affects your GABA receptors. Now those two are still completely different, but it's the most comparable imo. They don't affect GABA at the same receptors/sites.

Alcohol is also basically a toxin to the body, so hangovers are pretty common. Stay hydrated with water. Compared to most drugs, alcohol has lot of shitty side effects.

I remember drinking when I was 17 and 18. Booze back then was all about excess to me and my friends...there was no such thing as casual alcohol consumption. The goal was to get as absolutely hammersauced as physically possible lol. Drinking two handles of liquor and projectile vomiting everywhere, urinating in front of my basketball coach's wife and some other random old people, a variety of property crimes etc. Oh good times, good times.

I don't really drink anymore, though. Like the above poster mentioned, it's perhaps one of my least favorite drugs. It's cruel irony that it's one of the most accessible since it's legal. I don't like the person I become when I'm drunk...I have zero empathy for anyone. Pretty sure that I could slit another human being's throat with enough booze and the right circumstances. :\ My hangovers nowadays usually last for around a day after getting drunk, too. With that being said, the majority of adults who consume alcohol have no problem with it and do it responsibly. A drink or two after a long day can be very relaxing and enjoyable. I'd recommend starting with a few shots of some high-proof liquor if one wants to just experiment with alcohol & find out if the psychoactive properties of ethanol are enjoyable for them.

I haven't read the others but I'll give my own advice.
GO SLOW, the first Time I drank I was 14, I drank rediculously fast with my buddy. 8 shots in under 2 hour, let me just tell you I spend the night in the bathroom. Don't go overboard, the perfect buzz is around like .06 to .1 IME. To avoid a hangover, drink plenty of water in between. If you are dehydrated you feel like absolute shit no matter what substance. really the golden rule is to just pace yourself, I've made a fool out of myself many times before learning my lesson, getting shit faced isn't as enjoyable as a nice little buzz enhancing the time with your friends.

Thanks for rhe replies guys! I actually tried drinking a bottle of beer (corona) yesterday and didnt feel anything. I guess ill try something else

It takes quite a bit of beer to have a buzz

Get some wine and have a couple of glasses it will be better

Wine is a decent choice, mixing it with juice is very good, you can get a cheap white wine and mix it with tonic water and pomegranate juice.
But beer is much easier to gage where you are at, what I do is drink 3-4 beers over a few hours than just keep it going, 8 beers is the maximum I usally go because I'm a lightweight.
I'd stay away from hard liquor your first time

Also if you have the alcoholism gene you might have a built in tolerance.

Haha okay so for your first time don't drink so much that you vomit or else you won't want to drink that alchohol again. For example, that's why I hate tequila now because I drank so much my second time (a day after the first time getting drunk off tequila) and then threw up all over my bathroom hours later, now I don't like tequila. Just get moderately drunk but not soo drunk you throw up I guess. Oh and not to sound like a goody two shoes but have a designated driver if your going to be wanting to driving anywhere.

I started out with wine. I found it to be something that was good for a nice, spread-out sipping, which is probably more what you'd want. When I drink beer, I tend to drink it pretty quickly. For the entire night (depending how long "the night" really is), I'd say something like 3-5 drinks would be good for you, but you can probably judge better for yourself. Drink plenty of water, and don't take the booze too fast, whatever you have. (Though I'd agree with other posters in that you'd do good to avoid liquors.)
The effect is... well, intoxication. It's euphoric, yes, or can be, though I've always found it's more so when I drink alone. You'll probably feel more of the sociability and reduced inhibitions side of it. You'll probably feel pretty "fuzzy", which is always the best way I've been able to describe it. Sort of like your mind is a little cloudy.
Since this is your first time drinking and you probably won't have too much alcohol, as long as you stay hydrated throughout the night, you probably won't get much of a hangover if at all. I never got a hangover until I had been drinking for a few months and went though 9 or so drinks pretty quickly on a completely empty stomach. Don't do that, lol.

So I just had 3 Heineken beers over the course of 2 hours. Didn't feel anything like a buzz. I felt sort of relaxed and less anxious, but that's about it. I didn't feel any euphoria or fuzziness. Much less intense than a weed high.
Should I try wine or champagne and drink more?

edit: I just realized my dad is Russian :D does that explain my "built in" tolerance? Lmao

yes you are probably naturally tolerant.

first time i ever drank, i had 14 shots of smirnoff citrus on the beach with a bunch of close friends late at night. i was 17.
i felt amazing.. it was like my whole body was warm and cozy, i was floating in the sand.. was amazing.. i puked later but it was all good.

i dont recommend that much, but to experience it properly, u will need like 5-6 shots or equivalent (5-6 beers), take it from there..

alcohol sucks for me now.. never again did i feel the same way as my first time.
now i just get a bit relaxed and feel shitty later if i drink more than 5 drinks.
i stay away from alcohol and much prefer a nice J.
as a cop once told me, "why drink and drive when you can smoke and fly?"

aloha

Don't expect the sort of euphoria or "fuzziness" you might get from opiates. Alcohol is more like benzos, and should feel exactly like you described; relaxed and less anxious, and sleepy at higher doses. It's a pretty fast hitting and short lasting anxiolytic, I'd say in those respects comparable to Xanax. The first and most important thing to learn when starting alcohol (much like any drug, but particularly important with something as widespread and easily available as alcohol) is to know your limits. The sooner you do, the better. What this means varies from person to person, and will change according to your tolerance and food intake, but learn to spot the warning signs that tell you that your next drink is going to be one too many. Three rules of thumb for someone who has never drunk in their life: NO mixes (that means no benzos, opiates, weed, or any other drug, at least until you get used to drinking and its effects), drink slowly (don't try downing several shots of vodka in succession like some students do, even for a bet), and at the first sign of any dizziness or difficulty focusing your eyes, STOP (that's the red flag telling you that you've slightly overdone it, and that any more drinks are a very bad idea). Following these should minimize the chances of blackouts, amnesia, loss of control, and ER visits, which are sadly all too common among reckless and inexperienced drinkers.